“Adequate” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Himley Country Hotel

Save Saved
You added Himley Country Hotel to your Saves list
Himley Country Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   School Road, Himley DY3 4LG, England (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Himley
wigan
“Adequate”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Stayed at Himley House for two nights while attending a wedding 10 miles away over May Bank Holiday weekend. The building is very tired looking outside and so are the public rooms inside apart from the room where. we had breakfast which was the original old schoolroom. The bedroom was fine, clean and comfortable beds with towels changed every day. The breakfast menu is very good with plenty of choice but the dinner menu is awful, very overpriced for what is pub microwave food. It was very frustrating to sit and look at where improvements could (and need) to be made. The staff were friendly but there were no signs of any management people on duty at any time.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Annie

Thank you for your comments, it is great to hear you had a good stay with us. The duty manager over the bank holiday weekend was the receptionist and had you encountered any issues at all they would have been more than capable of asisting you.

We are aware of the issues some guests have with the menu and are looking forward to announcing our TDH menu very shortly which will enhance what we already offer.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This is a basic provincial hotel that is looking very tired and that is clearly being buoyed up by wonderful staff who make you feel very welcome. It is clean and offers value greater than that at a travelodge or premier inn.

There was a wedding on when we stayed there for one night but it did not disturb us at all.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sean

Thank you for your comments, we pride ourselves on our customer service and it is great to read that you felt the staff made the hotel great.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

We turned up bright and early on the 20th April 2013… Looked ok from the outside.
On arrival around 09.30 am there was no one on reception and looked empty… Eventually a lady turned up and she was very pleasant. Told her we was interested in having a meal tonight and she replied it will have to be at 7.30 pm because there is a wedding on… We picked up our tickets and went to the west midlands safari park (and that was brilliant)
We returned back to the hotel late afternoon and booked in to our room… As we had a quick look in the bathroom, there was a big wet patch on the floor coming from the toilet… Rang reception and explained to that the toilet had a leak and she said we have no more rooms because of the wedding. I send a maintenance man up at 5.30pm…
Man turned up and said, I’ve come to look at your toilet!! I said are you the Maintenance man, he said no!! I’m the bar man/maintenance man…. He looked at the loo and said the soil pipe leaking and it can’t be fixed … Told him I would like a new room…
Reception phoned and I told them it is unhygienic to leave us in the room with a leaking soil pipe…
10 min later we got a call to say we have got a new room… at 7.30pm we went down to eat and the restaurant looked empty!! There was another couple waiting in there and they said, they have been waiting 10 min and no one has turned up….
I could see from the restaurant the wedding was in the next room and looked like all the staffs were over there… Manage to get hold of someone and she told me that the restaurant was closed tonight because of wedding… Told them I booked a table this morning and the receptionist did not say anything to us, also the other couple waiting, they booked table this morning….
I asked to see manager!! Manager turned up explained what happened and she said I will open up.. So we had to wait for table to be laid… The food was fine and hot…
In the room put the shower on and it was freezing, also could not turn shower off, shower knob was stuck frozen…. Rang reception again and bar man turned up with a screw driver and had a fiddle around and got it working to produce hot water but the knob was still stiff to turn off… Had to rap a towel round the water knob to turn off shower….
Toilet handle was broken, and you had to hold handle against the wall and flush several times before it flushed…..
Hotel was very dated but sheets were very clean… The hotel needs a good sort out!!!!
Andrew M

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Dear Andrew
Thank you for your review. I understand your concerns and can assure you that we are addressing the maintenance issues in the hotel. James currently works on the bar but has maintenance experience.
I am pleased you found some aspects of the hotel good eg clean sheets, clean bedroom and good food.
I would like to offer you a complimentary return visit so that we have the chance to redeem ourselves.
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We recommend treating somebody you really dislike to a couple of nights here. On arrival the place presented as a 70's throwback that had clearly seen better days in the past. Nevetheless, we proceeded on to our drab and two dimensional bedroom, a peculiar shape which meant using the bathroom was difficult for two people at once due to the long and very narrow dimensions. The room was at least clean and the TV worked. Determined to enjoy ourselves we located the restaurant (as it was generously called) and ordered a drink. My glass of wine duly arrived in a glass covered with lipstick from the previous user - not my flavour, so a new one (this time washed) was provided. We then ordered a starter and a main each - 4 meals - all mainstays from the menu. After a 15 minute delay a girl came out and advised not one, not two, not three but all four were unavailable ... we reordered. This time they had our choices - mine a very salty gammon and my husbands purported to be chicken something or other - not very nice - but low-end pub i suppose. The rest of the evening passed without any further disappointments (probably because we were asleep). We had an enjoyable day on Saturday (well away from the hotel) and returned on Saturday evening (having eaten in a restaurant where they both had things on the menu and knew how to cook them). Imagine our delight to find a wedding function in full swing immediately below our room. Unable to drown it out with our TV and listening to the rapidly deteriorating wedding guests staggering about the grounds of the hotel we rang the switchboard where a sulky and disinterested girl advised us the party would go on until 12!! At this point, we decided enough was enough and having complained to the manager (whose offer of two free nights at Himley was politely declined) we thankfully drove south and got home in the small hours of Sunday morning!

By the way, this is no longer Best Western - perhaps it's part of it's sister chain - Worst Western - anyway, you have been warned!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Nika

I am sorry to hear of the issues you encountered during your stay with us. The hotel bedrooms were built in 1987 and while we can't do anything about their size we can control their cleanliness which I am pleased you found of a good standard.

I understand your frustration regarding your dinner and you could forgive one or two items being unavailable due to being busy but having four items unavailable is unacceptable and I have spoken to the head chef regarding this matter.

Due to the hotel being full there were no other rooms available we could have offered you and we will make sure in the future that guests who are not with the wedding are not directly above the function room.

During my handover meeting with Cat Clarke (the duty manager from Saturay), she made me aware that she had sat down with you and discused each of your issues and Cat has quite rightly tried to compensate you with a complimentary return visit so we can have a second chance to prove we can get it right. This offer still stands if you would like to take us up on it - please contact me directly to book.

Coseley, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We got married at Himley Hotel yesterday and I cannot fault it one bit, we had an amazing day and staff were so friendly it felt like they were friends of ours already! Our wedding breakfast was lovely, fruit platter, pork and profiteroles and so was breakfast this morning, plenty of choice!

The bridal suite was very modern and so clean and other guests commented on how lovely their rooms were.

Thank you so much to Louise, Cat and all the other staff working yesterday, you really helped to make our day so special and one to remember for the rest of our lives!

Love Mr & Mrs Freeman xx

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Congratulations Mr & Mrs Freeman!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your wedding day with us and will pass your comments on to the rest of the team.

I hope you will consider the hotel to celebrate your future events.

stoke on trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was a little concerned by some reviews but am a great believer in making your own mind up.
This hotel is just off the beaten track in a quiet little village.Looks a little dated from the outside but is lovely inside with friendly staff.I dont whinge about fittings etc being a little outdated but i do like CLEAN !!
Our room 123 was very clean, lovely comfy bed with nice size tv.Reception told us on check in how to work the heater and we were cosy during our stay.The bathroom needed a little redecoration and new sealant around the bath but it was clean.
We booked through booking.com and it was a bargain.I would definatly return as its in an ideal location for a shropshire leisure break.
There are two smashing pubs within a 5 min walk,one serves a buffet breakfast 8 till 11.

Room Tip: We requested quiet room as they do weddings and functions and we wanted to be away from these rooms.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, it is always lovely to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay.

We also offer a buffet breakfast 7 days a week and it is served 8-10am on Saturdays and Sundays.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel very soon

Sunderland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Booked before I read reviews so was quite worried! Needn!t have been as from entering the hotel to leaving staff were pleasant and stay enjoyable.
Room was as you'd expect. Comfortable beds, clean room and decent shower/bath.
Had our 4yr grand daughter with us and she was made to feel special at evening meals. The waitress went out her way (even skipping) with her to the table!!! Nothing was a bother to them and they even new what I was talking about when I said I was coeliac!!!!! The waitress checked every thing I ordered was gluten free. If I'm ever in that area agin I know where theres a good hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
himley, General Manager at Himley Country Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Brenda

I am delighted that you and your granddaughter enjoyed your stay with us, we pride ourselves on our customer service and it is lovely to read your comments.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area

Matt Pullen

Been to Himley Country Hotel? Share your experiences!