“Fabulous hotel and staff” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Four Ashes Road, Dorridge, Solihull B93 8QE, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Dorridge
Certificate of Excellence 2014
mansfield england
“Fabulous hotel and staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Unfortunately I have nothing to say about Hogarths that has not been said already.
My wife and I have stayed there during the last week for a couple of nights due to a Secret Escapes offer. How fortunate I selected it, the hotel and it's staff are excellent.
We were in a superior room overlooking the hotel patio area and the grounds, extensive and a very pleasant view (we usually get the car park or a wall). Check in was very efficient and the room was not to small, I have stopped in a number of higher price hotels with smaller rooms.
Hogarths is obviously a wedding venue and a conference centre. During our stay there was neither so it was very restful and the staff attentive but never obvious, they just seemed to appear when you needed something. What it would be like if these events were happening will have be left for a different reviewer. Also we noticed the rooms seemed to have effective walls, we never heard anything from the adjacent room (which was occupied) or the corridor. Recent stays at other hotels have been affected by both.
The food in the Bar 8 Brasserie was of high quality and the price comparable to other establishments with this quality of food and service. Also unlike a large number of hotels the breakfast is cooked to order so no queuing in front of the stainless steel hot buffet. That alone increases it's appeal.

Outside of the extensive grounds and a 10 minute drive Solihull has a large pedestrianised shopping area and a mile or so away from the hotel is a railway station which brings within range the city of Birmingham without driving the car there.

Would I return? Definitely!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hogarths, General Manager at Hogarths Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in training our staff and ensuring customer service is exceptional and I am so glad you found this to be the case. We are very lucky to have such lovely gardens & grounds yet be located so centrally. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the food and I am pleased to hear you started the day off well with a good breakfast!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Had a girls weekend to celebrate our birthdays. Food was fab, room and surroundings were fab and staff were excellent even down to the owner who cleared snow from our car. Now that's what I call service with a smile! Thank you Hogarths for making our birthday a special one. We are already discussing dates for or return.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, from the rooms, food and the lovely surroundings. Service with a smile is always our aim and I am delighted to read that you received this and made your birthday so special. I do hope we can welcome your return very soon!
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is the sort of hotel that didn't used to exist in UK - modern, stylish, friendly and efficient - without being overpriced. My wife and I stayed 3 nights while visiting a (very) nearby dog show and found it almost perfect. So why not an ' excellent' rating, overall? The rooms are a just a bit too 'compact' for our taste - we prefer not to play 'after you, dear'.The staff are outstanding and our dogs were made very welcome.There are also lovely grounds, which were picturesquely covered in snow during our Easter visit. A great place to stay if you're visiting W. Midlands and very close to the motorway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location close to the motorway links and NEC is great for business or pleasure but we are lucky that it is very rare you can hear any noise from the hotel. I am sorry to hear the room was a little compact, we do have some suites which are larger in size and hopefully the next time you are in the area this may be more suitable for you.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel for the 2nd time last week and it is excellent. The standard of fit out, comfort, customer service, cleanliness and quality of food is all really high. I would highly recommend this location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I am delighted to read it was your second stay and I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed over at this hotel last weekend for a wedding - What a place! Brilliant location, beautiful grounds, very comfortable and extremely clean room/hotel. The staff were professional, polite and efficient. The food was excellent - Overall: outstanding place...We will come back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, it is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I am glad you enjoyed the wedding including the food, service and hotel facilities. We are very lucky to have such lovely gardens & grounds and be located so centrally. I do hope we can welcome you back very soon.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I doubt that hotels are often rated by the quality of their toilet rolls nevertheless it is a practical way to start. Bathrooms in Hogarth's are provided with top quality toilet rolls . This quality extends to the finish of not only the bathroom and bedroom but also to every aspect of hotel finish and service.

I chose Hogarth's because of the short drive up the M42 to the NEC and the gut feeling It would be quite different to the on campus business hotels.

How right I was. After a tiring day at an exhibition this hotel is a true oasis of pleasure. Excellent service, amazing food and a well thought through wine list.

Obviously popular as a wedding venue the hotel is set out in its own grounds. The lovely receptionist explained that until 2012 it was a Manor House Hotel before the owners invested 4.5 million to make the leap to the hotel that it now is.

Much of my business life is currently centred around Leicester but I am seriously considering just how I can change affairs to be able to make regular visits.

No stay in a hotel is perfect in every detail but it is the way staff respond that makes the difference. A small problem in the dining room was skilfully dealt with and another matter was politely handled and professionally followed up with an email from Siobhan Chambers the PA to General Manager.

I really rate this hotel as a must visit. My wife accompanies me on business and she summed up her visit earlier today by saying that, "Last week's stay at Hogarth's was as good as being on holiday."

As soon as I can think-up a reason to be near Birmingham I will be back.

Room Tip: sk for a room facing the garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your wonderful feedback, I am honestly delighted by your comments and so glad you and your wife enjoyed the stay. From the toilet rolls and quality of the facilities, to the food and service. I am sorry you experienced any issues but am extremely glad to read that the staff and team here at Hogarths handled everything so well, leaving such a positive lasting memory. For your wife to say it was as good as being on holiday, is fantastic and maybe you could now schedule a weekend with us, relaxing and maybe even enjoy some Al fresco dining on the Terrace through the summer. I really do hope we can welcome you back very soon!
Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Recently stayed at Hogarths - What a lovely hotel. Beautiful, comfortable and clean room and the staff were extremely attentive. Nothing was too much trouble. Food was wonderful too.
Cannot recommend highly enough. We will return!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay, including the food and found the staff to be attentive. I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit the area.

Been to Hogarths Hotel? Share your experiences!