“Don't judge on outside appearance” 4 of 5 stars

Lodge At Leeming Bar
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great North Road, Bedale DL8 1DT, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Bedale
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Don't judge on outside appearance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed for the bank holiday weekend. Outside needs painting and general tidying and the first view you get is of the back of the building as the old approach of lawn and trees has been lost due to changes to the A1 layout so not the best aspect, but not the fault of the hotel.

Inside was much better, polite staff on reception and comfortable room which was clean, well equipped and had a decent en-suite. Breaklfast was a buffet and was excellent offering a full range for all appetites. Bar meals and restaurant available in the evenings or an on site Macdonalds for those that prefer.

Will stay again and happy to recommend to friends but don't judge the hotel from the car park.

Room Tip: first floor looking over the car park at the rear would probably be best option.

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Forres, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Look delightful on the website picture. Is actually surrounded by car park not grass and trees. For us it was hard to find even though it is very close to the A1. Exterior looks dated and scruffy. Where we parked meant we went in through what was an entrance but looked more like a fire exit. No signage there. Upstairs we found the reception. Greeted perfunctorily. Room appeared clean and more pleasant than expected after traipsing down a very stuffy corridor. But the bathroom had a carpet and there was a pong emanating from it! Dining room was decked out with bunting and lots of dated stuff but breakfast was good and with efficient service even though the decor & furnishings made me feel as if I was in an old holiday camp. Next time I'm in that area I'll look for somewhere with higher standards.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a quiet position, there are some as ours was perfectly quiet.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

My first impression was "oh my God What have I booked" nothing like the pictures. Paint peeling off the whole of exterior. the walk to the room was dismal (Shabby old and the room was the same)
the staff were lovely friendly and helpful the cleaner kept the place a clean as possible when working with a building in need of fulll revamp. if the owner can't aford a full revamp then a lick of paint would'nt hurt.also whats happened to its own exstensive grounds that it is supposed to be set in?

West Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed two nights here with my two kids, and had the worst hotel experience I have ever had. There were a number of problems - some trivial, some serious - but the most shocking thing of all was how badly the hotel management responded to my complaints.

First impressions were of a shabby, run down place, situated quite literally in a service station car park. The photos are extremely misleading - they must be old and they are certainly, um, selective. Our inter-connected rooms were clean but tatty. The view from our window was a Texaco garage; from rooms on the other side, it's McDonalds.

On the plus side, the breakfast was fine, and the waiting staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel wasn't as noisy as you'd expect from its location.

Now for the bad bits...

The first night, I was disturbed by the smell of smoke. My room window was approx 1.5 metres from the back door of the hotel, on the ground floor, and people were smoking right outside it. Although the room was too warm, I had to shut the window, but the catch/seal were broken, so the smoke still got in. When I told the hotel manager in the morning, her response was that "It's very difficult because we can't stop guests smoking". I told her that the hotel *must* ensure that people smoke far enough away that the smoke doesn't enter the building, and I suggested signs by the entrance to remind people they were smoking less than 2 metres from someone's bedroom (and bed!) but she said she didn't know anything about minimum distances, and repeated how difficult it was.

Also on the first evening, I made a cup of tea, and the milk from the UHT 'milk stick' curdled. In the morning the same thing happened again, so I checked the dates on them, and they were out of date. Again, the hotel manager did not respond well to my complaint. She expressed disbelief, so I went back to my room to fetch some of the milk sachets. When she saw them herself, she did apologise, but said she "couldn't understand" how it could have happened.

The real low point of our stay was when we returned to our room on the second evening. We found that someone had left us a very unpleasant 'deposit' in the toilet!! :( I tried to flush it, but it wouldn't go. They had also opened a window for ventilation, leaving our (ground floor) room INSECURE!

I was SO shocked by all this that I phoned reception immediately, but there was no reply. I tried several times over about 15 minutes, and then went up to reception in person. It was unstaffed, but I eventually tracked down a duty manager in the bar. He expressed shock and disbelief, and asked me to show him, which I did! He apologised, but said (the hotel's catch phrase, apparently) he "couldn't understand how it had happened". He told me the manager would be back in the morning.

To be honest, if I had not been so tired and had not had two exhausted children, I would have left at this point... But we had had a long day... So we stayed.

In the morning, I went up to reception at 8am promptly to see the manager. She again said she "couldn't understand it". She began to imply that I was making it up, simply because she couldn't believe it, which was pretty offensive. (I was forced to point out that I *knew* it couldn't be ours because none of us had eaten sweetcorn!) She hadn't even spoken to the housekeeper about it, so I said we would go for breakfast and come back in half an hour. When I returned, she had obviously convinced herself that it simply couldn't have happened. The housekeeper was more sensible and apologetic and said she would speak to her team, but the manager was in total denial.

I was extremely upset and angry, and this made me more-than-usually aware of other faults in our final half hour at the hotel. I spotted there was:
- a dead insect on my room windowsill
- black mould in patches around the double glazing
- the extractor fan in one bathroom was broken
- a missing fire-door closer on one room door, and a broken one on the other
- various cracks and damp damage painted over in both rooms
- a potentially dangerously worn carpet on the public stairs
- a very sticky floor in front of the breakfast self-service counter

There were also other minor problems, quite common with cheap hotels - like the mattresses were TERRIBLE - uncomfortable AND noisy. And one of the TV remote controls didn't work (even after replacing the batteries).

Given her previous reactions, I didn't bother to tell the manager about any of these faults... Tho' I *will* be contacting Trading Standards and the AA.

So... If you're just staying for a night and your expectations are low, 'The Lodge' at Leeming Bar hotel will probably be just about acceptable. But if you have any kind of problem or complaint, don't expect it to be taken seriously or dealt with.

Room Tip: Avoid Rm 40 if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Parksville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This hotel provides a convenient stopping place if you are travelling long distance on the A1(M). There are outside loos attached to/near the restaurant, and lorry drivers were using these until quite late at night so lots of banging of doors! We ate in the bar area during the evening as the prices were reasonable; breakfast was fine, self serve buffet with all you wish for. The ambiance could be improved considerably if they put a little music on - even a radio - as it was weird eating breakfast alone in a huge room in total silence! We would stay there again as an overnight stop as long as prices reflect the quality of room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Sheffield
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

My husband I stayed in June 2012. The hotel looked extremely shabby from the outside, paint peeling, windows looked dirty from the outside. Our room was tired, but clean. The bed in Room 4 was diabolical, no padding and springs sticking out everywhere. We hardly slept and both got up with terrible bachaches, so complained the next day. The cleaning ladies turned the mattress over after that, and it was marginally better the next night, but we still had another poor night's sleep. The hotel was full so we could not move, which didn't help. Breakfast was okay, but we didn't use the restaurant in the evening, but dined in Bedale. I do not feel that we got value for money as nothing was done about our bad experience. Needless to say, we shall not be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Croxley Green, Herts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We booked this hotel via the internet as it was very close to RAF Leeming where we had to be the next day. Very close - and I mean close to the A1 but noise wasnt a problem. The hotel is part of a service area which isnt really a problem. The staff were all very friendly and the food was great. We had Roast Beef for dinner which was lovely and a substansial cheese board. The rooms are a little dated and although we had booked an executive room we couldnt see what was special except we had an extra chair and a trouser press. The bed was very comfortable and bathroom adequate for one night. Breakfast was plentiful with both continental and full english but it was all self service. We paid £79 for the room bed & breakfast. Free parking too which is always a bonus

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lodge At Leeming Bar? Share your experiences!