“Super value” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Harrogate
“Super value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

Four of us had lunch recently. We have been visiting for some years but since our last visit there is nowcavailableva set lunch at £17 for three courses. This is superb value, my mussels were delightful and the fish pie probably the best ever. My companions all enjoyed their choices. A wine list to suit all tasts and pockets and coffee with delightful chocolates makes the Cstle Arms a must for anyone in the area - or farther afield, we came from Harrogte and County Durham!

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
north yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

We last stayed here December 2010 and enjoyed it so much we thought we would try it in summer instead.it was still as good and with all the same staff (and locals). Very warm and friendly service, room very clean and comfortable, breakfast next morning was possibly the best we've had away whilst staying in the UK especially the black pudding and sausages,lots of choice and very hearty, even the wife's veggy breakfast was a triumph.evening meal was very relaxed and a great value set menu with ala carte to choose from too.The duck leg,sage mash with orange sauce was to die for,the wife had steak pie with short crust pastry and said it was lovely with home made chips mmmm.we will be back that's a threat!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed here in June - weather terrible but Castle Arms lovely. Having read some other reviews, I have to say our stay was perfect and without incident. The food was lovely, good value and the rooms well specified and good value for money. Would definately return.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back away from the hall.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Stayed at the Castle Arms Inn in Snape recently. Enjoyed a very comfortable room and simply the most delicious breakfasts with full choice of fresh juices, home made porridge, locally sourced sausages and bacon and eggs that are bright yellow as they are so fresh. This isn't a chic boutique hotel but for the price it is fantastic value for money and really homely, firendly and comfortable. The pub bar is lovely, with flag stone floors and a real open fire. Evening meals are amazing value at £12 for two courses and £16 for three - the puddings are to die for and this place serves up the best sticky toffee pudding in the UK! Simply devine. I stayed with some friends for a walking weekend and it was a perfect base for exploring the Yorkshire Dales and the North York Moors. Lovely courtyard garden too, for when the sun comes out!

Room Tip: I liked my room number 8, lots of privacy and lovely beamed ceilings......
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

A party of 8 of us stayed here in April. We arrived at 10.30am, rooms not ready but able to leave all luggage in one room. Tried to organise taxis to Masham and had an hours wait. Sandra the owner offered tea/coffee while we waited and made us all feel welcome.
After spending the day in Masham enjoying the brewery tours we went back to the pub to get changed and have an evening meal.
Rooms very comfortable, tastefully decorated with pine furniture with a real home from home feeling.
All good until the evening meal..... I ordered Steak Pie. I have never seen anything like it, the meat was red! Someone else had a burger which smelt and tasted off! When I mentioned the pie and burger to the waitress I was made to feel like it was my fault! The waitress said the chef said he had eaten a burger at lunchtime and said it was fine. He said there was nothing wrong with the pie. When I asked for the pie to take I was told it had already been disposed of, very conveniently! Afterwards we were glared at by the waitress who also worked behind the bar all night. This spoilt it for me as it was meant to be a special birthday weekend away for my husband! I would return but WOULD NOT eat there!!

• Stayed April 2012
North Yorks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

I have been going to this pub once or twice a year for about 20 years but hadn’t been for about 4 years. Today when I visited I decided to try something other than the wonderful fish n chips they do. My starter of mussels was good although there was about half that had not ‘opened’ so I couldn’t eat them-I was surprised that I had been served them in the 1st place considering that its mussel etiquette to discard any mussels that do not open when cooked due to the high risk of food poisoning.

The lamb and new potatoes was cooked to perfection but the mashed potatoes that the lamp lay on was lumpy and the other veggies were soggy and boring. My food was served on a hot plate and just as well as the food was borderline warm. We waited ages for our desert of fruit crumble and it was not worth the wait. I had a ramekin full of bitter stewed fruit with a tiny sprinkling of crumble on the top-not very good.

The staff although very friendly were too much in our face. The area where we sat was empty apart from us and the lady behind the bar was constantly staring at us which made us slightly uncomfortable-but to give her credit we were the only things moving! The guy was constantly at our table taking empty plates away but also asking if we had finished with drinks / bread ect while we were still eating. We felt like we were being rushed out. We did not get offered any sauces with our meal and by the time we got asked if everything was alright it was too late. We will visit agin but will stick to what we know is good.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Ceredigion
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Had a lovely couple of days here in April despite the awful weather! Our room was warm, cosy, clean and comfortable (but maybe a bit on the small side) and the food was really wonderful, both at breakfast time and in the evening. We ate in the restaurant both evenings and found the quality and quantity top notch.
I fully agree with the other reviewers who rate this place as excellent. Snape is very well situated as a base to ''do'' north Yorkshire - I loved the castles and my other half was most impressed with the breweries.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Castle Arms but offer one note of caution. Make sure you have a note of the phone number with you! We arrived mid-afternoon, when the pub is shut
and although we rang the doorbell three times, no one heard us. It was pouring and as the car park is situated at the rear of the property, we got drenched. Luckily I had the number with me but had to phone to be let in. This wasn't an isolated incident - the same thing happened to another couple staying at the same time, so beware!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Castle Arms Inn? Share your experiences!