“disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Prague, Czech Republic
“disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

on contrary from other reviews of this hotel, we were not satisfied with the offered room neither the location of the hotel. In the description it says it is close to the old town and touristic sites, but this is true only if you plan to use the car and drive up to a paid parking place. Walking was not recommended neither by receptionist, even less with small kids.
Room we got was not the one we ordered (triple) but added bed to double bed room. It was very bad smell inthere (nevertheless it was supposed to be non-smoking). There was not much space to move with two small kids. And the shower cabin was loosing water, so after only one shower there was a lake in the bathroom.
Since it seems not all rooms are like this one, I tend thinking that quality of room is choosen by the nationality of the person booking it. Thus, since it was booked from East, from Prague, we got a bad room.
What I liked in the hotel was a large and good choice of the breakfast.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The Hotel San Giuseppe is clean, bright and offers nice views down towards Rimini if you are at the front or the citadel of San Marino if you are at the back. It has a strong religious feel about it with a huge basilica in front of it and I think an enclosed order just off to the side ot it.
It is very quiet and woud suit older people.....the bar is on the second floor and you had to order beer from the front lobby so there wasn't a permanent barman on duty during my stay.
Many people would find the hotel as a pleasant experience as it is very quiet and has nice grounds with the stations of the cross around it, so you can understand why it would have a strong appeal for clergy or as a retreat centre.
But, if you are going to San Marino why stop short of the citadel which is the real tourist area of the mountan top republic. You might have to pay a little more but the shopping, restaurants and views married to the all-round ambience of the summit far outweight the extra outlay, rather than stay short of your intended goal.
Another problem with the hotel is that if you don't have your own transport you are isolated and while taxis are available...I paid €50 for the drive to Rimini Airport... you could run up a bill because you won't walk easily unless you are very fit. With a lack of traffic-lights in San Marino people can drive quickly, so beware.
The food in the hotel was adequate without being great but it was more than acceptable albeit, at times, quite bland.
The rooms were clean but quite spartan while the dividing walls did seem inadequate and noise easily travelled from room to room.
The staff were courteous but for my liking, the hotel was just too quiet but I accept many would find the tranquil nature of the massive hotel as a decided bonus.
In conclusion, I think the location below the citadel offers excellent views (when it's not foggy) but the views from the summit are really spectacular and, if it's a short break holiday, go the extra mile and stay up at the summit!

Room Tip: It's not a bad hotel but there are better options higher up closer to the citadel. Isolated, unl...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Recently had the pleasure of participating in a conference in San Marino, and the stay at the San Giuseppe hotel was a pleasure. The hotel is located just minutes from the tourist sites of old San Marino and a half hour drive from the city of Rimini. It's peaceful grounds make it a tranquil retreat from the busy city. With a very distinct Catholic influence, the hotel is surrounded by trees, and faces an old style Catholic church.

The staff at he hotel were absolutely delightful. Polite, well spoken, and always looking to help. On this trip I had the misfortune of losing my baggage, and the staff at the front desk worked tirelessly to assist me.

The food was exquisite. We had three meals a day at the hotel, do to the conference, and all three were absolutely delicious.

The only need for improvement I would suggest is to modernize some of the rooms, make the wifi much more accessible, and maybe add a shuttle service from the hotel to the train station in Rimini.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

It was like going through a time warp. Back to the 60s. But, in general, that is San Marino. Our room was very large and had a great outlook to the Mountain. Two bathrooms and a very comfortable bed. Not much more to ask for really. The staff had been overwhelmed by a group of Russian tourists. These tourists are the 21st Century version of the rude American tourists. They were a bit hard on the staff so when the staff heard our Aussie accents they looked relieved and gave us fantastic service. I wouldn't stay here for the food. We struggled with the breakfast and had dinner in the restaurant one night. This is not recommended. However, this is San Marino..... the republic shuts down on a Sunday so all we could get in the area was McDonalds (yes, we were desperate). Up on the "Rock" things are different.... good food, good services and tourist focused.
Back at the hotel we found a very quiet outdoor area next to the bar. I use the word "bar" very loosly... we thought we might get a cool beer and sit ouside and have a drink overlooking the valley. The only beer that they had were some warm bottles of Becks. So we settled for some Champagne. I could have sworn that we were in an old Russian state....
In Summary..... quirky, friendly but very out of date.

Room Tip: The back room overlook the rock and are away from the parking area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rothenburg, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed three nights in a double room. the room was massive, but hardly anything in it- a small couch, TV on a cabinet and that was about it. The lift would not work with both of us and our luggage in it, so had to go up separately. I think the motel needs some work done - some of the walls were cracked, and it desperately needed an update. The garden when we arrived was overgrown, but maybe they only get someone in occasionally to maintain because the second morning there was a garden crew there trimming. we didn't have any noise issues, but I am not sure how many others guests were actually a there. on the whole, it was very basic accommodation, but our stay was ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Hotel San Giuseppe. Even though the rooms were clean they were very noisey and you could here people in the next room. The American breakfast was not an American breakfast and half the stay I did not bother to go down for the same boring food. I was staying half board but wished Id never eaten at the hotel at all. They gave me the same menu every night. Which once I had had what I liked left me with 3 nights of not eating there. I am not a fussy eater either. I also found the staff to be very inpatient and that everything was too much of an effort for them. The bar they advertise is never open so we had to take our custom elsewhere. This hotel is best for a one night stop over if you are visiting San Marino. When I go back to San Marino I will never be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

My son's soccer team was in San Marino for an international tournament, so we had a custom tour package for a fairly large group, which included breakfast and dinner at the hotel. The breakfast was nothing exciting - bland sliced cheese and meat (one kind of each, same every day) mostly flavorless pastries, yogurt, canned peaches, a coffee machine sometimes worked. But the dinners were appalling. The first was what we could only describe as "hamburger helper", overcooked pasta with sauce from a jar and tiny bits of ground meat. We had the 'tuna helper' another night. By the last night, one of the guests took to making a sad face on his dinner plate with ketchup (the fact that a meal was served that involved ketchup at all is an indication of the quality). Our guide spoke with the hotel staff about the food, to no avail. We had a player on the team who was from Italy, and he was embarrassed that the other kids might think that this was what Italian food was like. We did see other diners being served what appeared to be much better food from the menu, but I can't attest to the taste. The only culinary saving grace was that we were a 5-minute walk from a grocery store. When you can get better food from the pre-packaged deli dept., it's a pretty sad state.
On other notes, the rooms were shabby, a/c even more spotty than European standard, showers clogged, and the staff was surly. When my younger son goes on the same trip again in 2 years, if I see this hotel on the itinerary, I will cancel immediately, it made such a negative impact on our whole trip.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front seemed to have somewhat better a/c, but best advice is to stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
sangiuseppehotel, Direttore generale at Hotel San Giuseppe, responded to this review, July 18, 2011
Dear guest,
I just read your review and I feel such astonished. Most of terms and adjectives used to describe our rooms, food and staff sounds completly inappropriate and never cited from any other guest.
I don't want to find apology or controversy and I will assure you we will think about your stay and try to do all our best anyway.
I apologize for my defective english and I beg to remain at your disposal to try to change your mind (maybe) for another occasion.
Best regards
G.Biagioni

Been to Hotel San Giuseppe? Share your experiences!