“Budget accomodation with 5* service in excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Milano Due
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   113 the Strand, Il Gzira, Island of Malta GZR03, Malta   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Il Gzira
UK
“Budget accomodation with 5* service in excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I stayed here with my mother and sister at the beginning of September for 10 days. Having read the reviews we had some reservations but the location was perfect as it is near to where my Aunt lives so we decided to give it a go. It may seem that the hotel is not cheap when compared with hotels in Spain etc, however for Malta it is very reasonable, as Malta is not a cheap destination.
Having stayed in a variety of hotels in Malta suiting differing budgets, we have normally experienced a very poor level of customer service, but what we found here was completely different and we were pleasantly surprised.
Every staff member we encountered was incredibly helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble, as everything was done with a genuine smile on their faces (not what we normally experience). We informed a member of staff in the evening that we needed our lights fixing we were informed that it would be done by the next afternoon. So imagine our surprise when this was so.
We had room 518, a 5th floor room with a side sea view. You could actually see the sea and we were on a relatively quiet side street which provided a nice breeze into the room. The rooms were clean and were cleaned pretty much daily. Clean towels were given each day.
The bedding was changed regularly, not daily but who changes their bedding daily. The hotel was simply decorated, relatively clean and tidy. It isn't a brand new hotel, so neither is the decor, but it was taken care of and clean. There isn't a big plush lobby, just an air-conditioned area with some seating but I have never spent time in the lobby of a hotel so this was not a problem for me. The bathroom was quite large and looked recently refurbished with a good flow of water coming out of the shower head. My only disappointment was that they have Maltese showers that don’t sit high up on the wall, they sit low down so that you shower whilst sitting in the bath. This wasn’t a problem as I have long hair and was able to lift it over my head to rinse my hair. I suppose the positive side to this was it did encourage me to turn the water off in between soaping and rinsing so was much more environmentally friendly than the usual kind of shower 
Our room was large enough for 3 of us to have some space. The pillows were a little hard and the bed a little squashy for me but I've had the same to say about 4* and 5* hotels in the UK. There was an adequate amount of drawer/cupboard space and a wardrobe.
As with most air-conditioning it droned a little but earplugs would solve that issue if you are a light sleeper. We found that leaving the bathroom window and the balcony windows open provided enough air at night.
The roof had a few sun loungers but no pool, which for us was great as it meant that there would never be lots of people and the day we sat up there, there was a fabulous breeze that kept us cool. There was a Jacuzzi which looked quite clean.
The breakfasts were the usual fruit/bread/cakes/hams/cheeses/salad/cereal etc that are provide by most hotels but was far superior to the breakfasts we had last year in the Kennedy Nova hotel. My only complaint would be that their coffee was awful. Again this was rectified by buying some coffee and making my own with their hot water. We went to breakfast at a variety of times, sometimes only 15 minutes before the end and there was always something left as they refilled most things regularly.
There was a bar and a club that stayed open late just 5 - 10 minutes down the road. Buses went from just opposite the hotel to Melliha, Golden Bay, Qawra and Valetta (amongst other places). It was a 15 - 20 min walk from the rocky bay of Ta' Xbiex and there were plenty of coffee shops, restaurants, snack bars, bars and ice-cream places as well as small supermarkets nearby. Paceville where there are plenty of nightclubs, bars etc is just a short bus ride away. We always found free parking opposite the hotel within a 5 minute walk (often directly opposite).
I think what I loved most about this hotel was their commitment to being environmentally friendly. They had energy saving light bulbs pretty much everywhere and the air-conditioning was set up so that if you opened the balcony windows the air conditioned switched off. It also switched off if there was no movement in the room. Before we left I had a look at the cheaper internal rooms. They were a little less airy due to being internal rooms and though they had a window it opened up onto a wall so I doubt that it would provide any air if left open. But having seen how well our air-conditioning worked I would consider staying in one of these rooms if I was looking at holidaying on more of a budget.
Having family in Malta I usually return every year and I know for definite that I will return to this hotel for its price, location and probably the most helpful staff I have ever had the pleasure to encounter in any accommodation I have stayed in during the 20+ years we have been staying in hotels in Malta. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to stay somewhere friendly and clean and in a good location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
nikzak, Manager at Milano Due, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
It is our pleasure to see such comments.

We strive hard to satisfy the needs of our Guests.

Our staff is a credit.

Frank

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Polish first
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

Great little hotel in a fabulous setting on the prom overlooking valletta and only minutes from the buses and ferries ! Very clean room with updated bathroom, was a little small but so was the price, great value for money ! Staff were excellent and very polite, breakfast wasnt amazing but was very nice for the price ! Going by some reviews we did wonder what it would be like but i think some people expect 5 star for 3 star prices, we will be going back soon hopefully !!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I found this hotel to be of a high standard with a refurbished bathroom and comfy bed. The breakfast choices were poor, but for what I paid it was no big deal.The restaurant looked out to Valletta, but I didn't spend much time there. As a base, it is ideal and recommended. Very close to Sliema's bus terminus. We travelled every day for 2 euros return.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
nikzak, Manager at Milano Due, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
We would like to thank Collieman Wigan for this review.
One comment: Our Buffet Breakfast consists of Tea/Coffee or Chocolate, 4 types of Bread & croissants, 2 jams & marmalade, fresh fruit, hot & cold milk, Eggs & 1 hot item, Meat products & cheese, cake, salad , Orange & pineapple juice & 3 types of cereals.

We believe the choice is quite ample for a 3 Star.
hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

my friend and I have just returned from a four day break in Malta. Having booked the Milano Due and subsequently read the reviews, we went with trepidation, not knowing what to expect! On arrival we were given a room on the first floor which resembled a prison cell and reeked of smoke... We explained at reception (nicely!) that this was not acceptable and were moved to room 211 on the second floor. This was a good sized room with a small balcony from which you could see the harbour. The room and ensuite bathroom were clean and perfectly acceptable. The towels were changed daily and the beds were made daily. The staff were good natured, gave us great advice on places to go and good restaurant guides too. For a three star hotel this was great value for money and the location was fantastic. It was central to bus routes either to Valetta (south)or St Julians (north). Breakfast was more than adequate to set us up for a day's sightseeing and comprised of cereal, fresh fruit, toast, rolls, cheeses, meat, eggs, coffee/tea, juices... more than enough to take us through the day. Okay so there is room for improvement but in our opinion you get what you pay for and this was more than adequate for a short break in Malta.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
nikzak, Manager at Milano Due, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
We thank LYNN for this review.

Hotel Bathrooms & restaurant have been refurbished during Winter 2009/10.
We recommend Side Sea View rooms as some of the internal rooms are shaft rooms.

This is the reason for the low price requested.

Thanking you,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

We have just returned from the Milano Due Hotel and have no complaints. Our hotel room was cleaned daily, sheets were changed regularly as were towels. Bathrooms were modern and spotless although shower area rather on the small side. There was plenty of food and plenty of choice. Hot drinks came from a machine but I was still able to make the coffees to our liking as there were also choices of hot water and hot/cold milk. Again plenty of choice for evening meals so there was always something that you could eat. All staff were helpful but two people particularly stood out for their helpfulness Gulon at the restaurant and Eric down at reception.We have paid a lot more money and for a lot worse than this in the past. It is a three star hotel so I can’t understand some of the reviews on here – why do people expect more than what they paid for? I would have no hesitation returning here. Internet connection was downstairs only but if if you didn't want to stay in the lobby then the cafe attached was quite happy for you to sit in there with your lap top. This is our third visit to Malta. If I had any complaints at all it would not be with the hotel but with the Maltese younger generation who generally were arrogant and lacking manners.

• Stayed June 2010
nikzak, Manager at Milano Due, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
We thank LYNN for this review.

Hotel Bathrooms & restaurant have been refurbished during Winter 2009/10.
We recommend Side Sea View rooms as some of the internal rooms are shaft rooms.

This is the reason for the low price requested.

Thanking you,
Wigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

Considering this hotel was 20 quid a night b+b for a twim room the standard was excellent. Apart from the breakfast being limited on choices, the hotel was of a high standard throughout. Spotlessy clean with carpetted corridors and a comfy bed, which is more than I had on my 2 previous visits to Malta. Excellent location overlooking the bay to Valletta We all know there are higher standard hotels, but for travellers on a budget who still want a good standard, I recommend the Milano Due.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed in this hotel during the conference trip which took place in Valetta. We booked this hotel because there was a bus and a ferry to Valetta , but altogether logistics was a challenge (which is not a problem of the hotel, but rather that nobody told us). We booked a higher-priced superior room with a sea view (around EUR 80). The room was tiny, had low quality, very simple and old furniture, and it smell badly in the barthroom. The elevator was small and almost not usable. On the day of departure we discovered There was no baggage room but the personell kinldy stored our baggage in a service room. There was WLAN in the lobby, but the lobby was not very inviting to stay at. On the total: low quality for a high price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
nikzak, Manager at Milano Due, responded to this review, August 9, 2010
Price is surely not expensive at all, we offer value for money.

Travelers are raving about these Il Gzira hotels

Been to Milano Due? Share your experiences!