“Service and hospitality” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added El Sueno Tropical to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
El Sueno Tropical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Carrillo | Guanacaste, Playa Carrillo 50205, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #3 of 7 hotels in Playa Carrillo
Stephenville, Texas
“Service and hospitality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I arrived with a couple of companions to assess the hotel for my company, Going Native Adventures. My look was designed to be critical based on the possibility of booking our clients there.I found the hotel to be more than adequate in relatioship to price. It's clean and comfortable. The pool area is pretty and relaxing. The staff is beyond friendly, which is extremely important to how I view desirability. The food is good and surprisingly consistent although everyone there seems to have a hand in preparing it. The owners are family and more than great hosts. They are nice people. They try to make your stay as pleasant as they personally can. Vinnie, the managing partner even went as far as taking me around to other hotels and businesses. I intended to part with my companions and make my way back to my home. Zayda, Vinnies wife and co-owner, was going to San Jose on business and kindly offered me a lift to Palmares. She was friendly, polite, and informative. I recommend this hotel as solid and its staff as professional, courteous, and interested in building relationships. Too bad the beach isn't a wee bit closer, but it's only a couple of miles away.

Room Tip: Call in advance and book by phone.
Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I booked a night in December from El Sueno Tropical through their website, the reservation was confirmed and 25% was charged from my credit card. However, after this I received an email from the hotel that someone else had booked the room before me by calling the hotel so that now they didn't have any rooms left. They said that they could of course reimburse my deposit but that's the last time I heard of them. I have since tried to email them 3 times (no response) and called 2 times (both times being told that the money will be sent as soon as possible) and I still haven't received my deposit back. It's been almost 7 weeks now.

This being said, I really can't comment on the amenities of the hotel itself since I haven't spent a night there. But after this episode, I would rather spend my night sleeping on the beach than going to El Sueno Tropical.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
TommyTheWho, Propriétaire at El Sueno Tropical, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
It is important to note that Mr. Tna23 has never been our guest. This person has never set foot in our hotel. For this reason we believe that this comment is inappropriate and unfair. This person has paid 25% of the notes in advance using the PayPal service. Following his request, it is important to note that the person has been fully repaid. The delay that the person mentioned to reimburse been out of our control and due to Paypal and no to our hotel. We are very disappointed by the bad experience of this person. However we are more disappointed with the lack of rigor in Tripadvisor, which allows a person aggrieved by the slow service Paypal, tarnish the reputation of our hotel, so that the same person has never been our client.

The Direction
Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

Great place with great people. Very helpful staff that can get you to anyplace that you want to travel. They helped with getting me to a fishing boat as well where I had a wonderful experience catching a marlin in a half a day. Also, wonderful food in the restaurant, beautiful pool and great rooms with very cold AC. Very isolated and would recommend to anyone wanting to see the pacific side of Costa Rica.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Tampa FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

Vinnie and Zayda have created a beautiful, friendly place near Playa Carrillo Costa Rica. I just spent a week there with my 11 year old son. By the time we left we felt like family. We loved coming up to the restaurant nestled in the lush greenery in the morning for our amazing coffee and typico breakfast. Evenings in the restaurant were frequent because we believe Vinnie has the best food in town. The beds are huge and towels yummy - hard to find in this neck of the woods. The pool is crystal clear and best of all the people are wonderful.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

The grounds are accessible via three entrances from the main road that passes thru Carrillo. Very secure, lush, and a full service place. There was a TV in the room, plus internet via wi-fi if you are interested in that - we weren't as it was a vacation get away. Every meal was great. The bar has both locals and English speakers where you can catch a mix of both American and World Football plus local rodeo (very popular). The rooms were clean, bed covers and pillows soft & comfortable. Service at all levels was friendly and polite. No phone in rooms however no problem receiving or making calls from the lobby/restaurant/bar. Most rooms had a hammock hung outside them. 10 min from Carrillo, Camoronal, and the Tortuga (turtle) reservation, another 10 min beyond Carrillo to Samara with grocery & hardware stores along the way. Pool with kiddie pool centrally located however with incredible Carrillo beach and it's mostly Tico visitors so close we never used it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Had a wonderful time at El Sueno Tropical. The hotel staff is wonderful, and the new owners go the extra mile to make sure that their guests are taken care of. It is a very relaxed atmosphere, and almost feels like a home away from home. The rooms are a perfect size with everything you would need. If you want to stay around the hotel, the pool and bar are excellent. The restaurant has a wondeful menu, with made to order meals. The beach is a short trip away, and is BEAUTIFUL! If you are looking for more thirlls, the hotel staff was very helpful in setting us up with a zip line tour and deep sea fishing. All in all, a wonderful trip!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

There are no hotels directly on Playa Carrillo, a beautiful palm lined beach in the south west Nicoya about 15 minutes from Samara. All hotels in the Playa Carrillo area are along the main road and I would say require a car to get to. El Sueno Tropical is set in the hills and surrounded by a beautiful garden. The rooms are located in little bungalows scattered along the property and the pool, restaurant and bar are at the top of the hill. The pool area is a lovely oasis with really comfy padded, reclining chairs. The restaurant and bar had excellent service and the bartender is happy to walk over and serve you at the pool. The front desk attendants were very helpful and planned all our activities for us. The food at the restaurant was very very good. Breakfast is included and the coffee (made fresh with steamed milk - con leche- if you desire) was probably the best morning coffee we had in our 3 week vacation in CR. The bungalows were extremely spacious, had safes and CD players equipt with a CD of easy listening music. The beds were comfortable but firm. Rooms have all bamboo furniture with brightly colored accents. The water in this area was tricky to get really hot but your in Costa Rica - who cares?

• Liked — Great pool area and restaurant
  • Disliked — I do not mind a climb but if you do it is pretty hilly
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to El Sueno Tropical? Share your experiences!