“My best hotel experience ever so far..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bon Ton Resort

Save Saved
You added Bon Ton Resort to your Saves list
Bon Ton Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Pantai Cenang, Pantai Cenang, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Special Offer
Return Guests Benefit
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
Sweden
“My best hotel experience ever so far..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Felt like home a thousand km away.
I loved the place, the atmosphere, the friendly people & animals.
Definitely worth stopping by and see if not stay.
People who will be first looking for a beach front hotel will not be disappointed to end up on this piece of heaven full of character and charm.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Bon Ton. We stayed in the Palm Villa, which was full of character, geckos, and a couple of resident cats. Also the customer service at the hotel and the adjoining restaurant, Nam, was excellent. In a fluster to get to the airport for our flight home, my partner unknowingly left his credit card at the hotel reception, only to find that a member of staff rushed to the airport to find us before we flew out. The member of staff also helped us to locate the car rental company (to return the hire car). Professional customer service, which goes above and beyond the call of duty!

And the cats... As cat lovers, we of course became very attached to resident felines, particularly the two little ladies with whom we shared the Palm Villa. There is an animal shelter on the property - Langkawi Lassie - which also gives visitors the opportunity to walk the dogs and hang out with the cats that are awaiting adoption.

For its exceptional hospitality, quirky 'living museum' accommodation, and animal loving good deeds, Bon Ton will always have a place in our hearts.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Our family enjoyed this quiet place. Not at the beach but within walking distance or short taxi ride.

Villa was very spacious and comfortable.

Part of profits are used to finance a dog and cat shelter.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Pools available in hotel and in next door one (Temple Tree). Free wifi.

The only recommendation is to also provide breakfast in restaurant and not only in room, which would allow greater choice and less waste.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We loved Bon Ton. I went there with my daughter and some friends came along a couple of days later. The place is quirky to say the least, in so far as the place is teaming with cats that wander around. I love cats as does my daughter so we thought the place was delightful. What's more, the resort helps abandoned cats and dogs and has an on-site vets; a must for any budding veterinary students. The rooms are actually enormous old wooden Malaysian houses and are very spacious and beautiful. The pool is a long, quite narrow strip in the middle of these houses (of which there are only a few) and is lovely. The food is wonderful and so good that once my husband joined us on holiday (at which point we had to go to another hotel as he is allergic to cats), he came to the hotel to eat twice because the food was so good. For a man who loathes cats and is terribly allergic to them; that's high praise indeed!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We really enjoyed staying at Bon Ton - we loved the quirky and unusual style of accommodation (including all the cats roaming around!) and the restaurant was absolutely fantastic, can't recommend the food there highly enough. Amir and the local staff were also friendly and helpful.
The reason for a 4 rather than 5 was just due to a few small factors:
- The accommodation is pretty expensive for what you get - the rooms are nicely decorated and very unique, but they are basic. Obviously the traditional/original factor is part of the charm, but I'd expected it to be a little less basic for the price paid.
- A few items in the rooms were a little old and dirty, mainly being the pillows. Whilst a small thing, it's not nice to have yellow stained pillows that many people have obviously slept on!
- The breakfast could have been a little more interesting. Again for the price I'd expect a little more.
All in all, we did really enjoy our stay and it's certainly a quirky and interesting place to stay. We liked the location which was out of town enough to be quiet and serene, but still only RM10 taxi fare into town. And as previously mentioned the restaurant was fabulous.
Our only gripes were minor and whilst we thoroughly enjoyed our stay we didn't think the value for money was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel costs around 250€ a night peak season. At this price I will never come back and would not recommend it. There is no access to the beach and it is at the end of the runway, so there are planes frequently flying practically overhead on approach and take off. It is a 15min walks or taxi ride to the main town, where the beach life is.

The internet was not working in our room, so i had to battle with mosquito's outside by the main office to get a connection. The rooms are effectively open to the elements, just slats in the windows, no netting. This means they are full of bugs and lizards. They are old colonial buildings with a lot of character, so i guess that it part of the package. The thing I cant support however is that they have fitted AC just next to an open window; in these days of environmental awareness, that's just totally unacceptable. In the bedroom you will find a giant flat screen tv - Personally i am not a fan of TV, i dont even own one, but guess what - this TV has no TV - that's right - it only works for DVD's of which in the the receptionists own words the hotel has a "rubbish collection" Just take the dam thing away!

The pool is ok - could do with a clean, and as many other's have commented the breakfast is left in the fridge overnight with obvious consequences. Really there are much better deals available - dont stay here!

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
acg1960, Owner at Bon Ton Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Many thanks for your valuable comments, I would like to respond briefly if I may. Our location and distance from the airport is well publicised, we do not market ourselves as being on a beach....in fact many guests really enjoy the open expanse of marshland fronting both our resorts. We are very close to Pantai Cenang ( 5 mins by car) and this is an added bonus. Our houses are antique and yes are not completely sealed hence our offering of mosquitto nets and sprays should our guests feel they need. Our Airconditioners are offered to cool the rooms down, many people prefer to use the fan instead...........as for our TVs.......we feel by offering DVDs and not full Cable service this at least offers a distraction if its raining perhaps, i am sorry if the collection is not that good, we do regularly replenish them though. I apologise if the pool you felt needed cleaning, everyday we try to improve on our service and experience for our guests, and we shall take your comments in hand.

Regards for a Happy 2013
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

'They' say that you should never go back. And, in 25 years of wandering, I never have. I have always observed this unwritten 'law of travel'.

Up until this week, that is.

I just couldn't help myself. I was an exhausted wreck from a year of driving myself into the ground, and I knew just the place that could restore me.

I not only made a glorious return to Bon Ton, I even booked into the same charming house (Black Coral). And I hardly left this unique 'sanctuary' in the week I was there. Now, why would I? It offers the whole package: TERRIFIC food, atmosphere, and staff. Not to mention the best cocktails on the island.

So, now I'm not so sure why 'they' say you should never go back, particularly when it comes to a place in the world that's as exceptional as Bon Ton. But I DO know this: in less than a year I will once again be defying that law, and kicking back beside that magnificent Bon Ton pool, sipping Linda's mojitos.

Room Tip: The eight rooms all offer something different - check them out on the website to determine which one...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Bon Ton Resort? Share your experiences!