“Boutique hotel in beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa del Mar, Langkawi

Save Saved
You added Casa del Mar, Langkawi to your Saves list
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Pantai Cenang, Mukim Kedawang, Pantai Cenang, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Pantai Cenang
birmjingham UK
“Boutique hotel in beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Hotel us situated at the quiet end of a beautiful beach. Beach is a little busy further down but that didn't interfere with our holiday. There are also water sports allowed on the beach which is a plus or minus. The hotel itself is wonderful. Staff could not be friendlier or more accommodating. Excellent cocktail bar selling fresh cocktails at £4 each. Lunch and dinner menus were good and there are plenty of other places to eat nearby. Loved the fact out room looked straight onto the beach. We chose this over the Datai which is on the north coast. We visited that hotel and found the rooms were quite a walk from the pool and beach albeit the bay was much more secluded and arguably better. If you are honeymooners who don't intend leaving your hotel choose the Datai. If you want a varied choice of restaurants go for casa del mar

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Casa del Mar which will be shared with the team. We are delighted you loved it and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Warm regards from all of us.
Tom Blachere

1,538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Shah Alam, Malaysia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Puzzled is the word that comes to mind about our experience. Never before in the luxury world did I hear from a hotel manager that he needs to hit sales target when we talked about a problem with our booking.

With my wife, we decided to stay in the biggest suite the hotel had for a night. I dropped by the hotel late at night and asked to visit the room and asked for the price. Note that I didn't make any down payment or anything. Just gave my name and contact details and said that I would come back the following day.
I then called my platinum service travel agency and asked them if they had special deals with this hotel. They said yes, but they needed to get confirmation the next morning from the hotel (it was 2am).
Next morning Amex confirmed the deal with the hotel. I asked Amex to proceed.
When I showed up and the hotel realised that the booking was for me, they literally scolded Amex trying to steal their customers!!??!?? And I was told that I had to pay for the full price since I came to the hotel first???
They simply refused to proceed any further with the booking if I didn't pay full fare.
When I confronted the manager, I was told that they don't offer last minute deals to agents for these rooms. I asked why did the hotel approved the deal before they knew it was me if the hotel doesn't "offer last minute deals to agents"? And here is the best answer I heard from the service industry: "if I give you the room at that rate, how am I going to hit my sales target? You have to pay extra".
It says a lot about a place when you meet people with this behavior. I happen to come regularly to Langkawi and send many guests visiting Malaysia or even locals. Casa del Mar is a definite no-no. There are much better places around Langkawi. And for having tried hotels from the highest range (Datai) to the lowest range (homestay), don't waste your money at Casa.

These are the adjectives that come to mind about the people I met there: "Arrogant and holier-than-thou". Attitudes that do not work well with that type of industry.

Next time in Langkawi, I suggest you find a place where service comes before money. They are legion. And Casa del Mar is definately not one of them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear guest,

First and foremost I am sorry and sad that you finally did not experienced Casa del Mar services.
All members of our staff family including myself have limited holidays per year. We value as much as you do how important those count in our life balance. reason why we aim to care for our guests the best we can.

Having said so I need to bring some clarifications to your review so our readers can grasp the whole picture.

On that beautiful evening of July you & your wife walked in and discovered the homely environment of Casa del Mar. Our staff escorted you to visit our last available suite, upon which you decided to ask for the rate. Decision is made by both of you to book the room for the next day. The booking is confirmed on the spot as you provided your credit card details as a guarantee. True, no deposit was made neither the hotel has charged your card.
At 2am in the morning our night auditor received a call from AMEX enquiring for room availability (only) for the coming night.
The same morning our reservation agent received a call from a local agent enquiring for room availability for the same date. Later we received a booking request by email, this is when we noticed this booking was actually doubling up the one you made with us the day before at Casa.

Cher Monsieur, Casa del Mar has never rejected the booking from AMEX through the local travel agent. It was even proposed to CXL the booking made directly with us and to confirm the booking from the agent but at the rate we fixed and agreed upon the day before. Casa del Mar is transparent, the last available room is sold directly. We were ready to make an exception to accommodate your demand and it is true we simply do not practice last minute deals.
The hotel is in control of its rates the same way an airline is. Would you expect to be offered a lower rate when enquiring for a seat to fly the next day rather than months ago?

In regards to the staff attitude, we actually work with great and loyal partners for the last 13 years. The local agent we were in contact with that day is one of them. Both parties are used to deal with arising issues in a friendly and professional manner. To this I would like to repeat again that we were not in contact with AMEX as our “client” was precisely this travel agent.

Moreover, I have been working more than 3 years on a daily basis with the Rooms Division Manager (and in charge when I am away) you are referring to and I have strong doubts he has used the words you mentioned as we share the same passion and philosophy for the hotel industry. In addition our reservation office is located at the “back office” from where our agent took the phone call…

If “money comes before service” we would have cancelled the direct booking and confirmed the one from the travel agent with different rate conditions. A room night is a perishable item and we lost it. De facto, money is an outcome and certainly not an objective although we could also have charged your credit card with the fees related to your booking cancellation (01 night) but we have of course chosen not to do so.

We obviously failed to make you understand what is widely accepted in the airline industry and becoming common in the hotel’s one.

At last, what make us truly sad is that we did not have the opportunity to make it up to you in providing what we love doing: taking care of our guests.
As you live in Malaysia and regularly travel to Langkawi it would be a pleasure to meet you in person and have a talk around a coffee…and I am being sincere.
By the meantime please feel free to contact me at: tom.blachere@casadelmar-langkawi.com

Cordialement,
Tom Blachere
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel is at a great location and the service is excellent.
The staff is always smiling and they do small little things which make the service extraordinary.

The view from the rooms is awesome, pool well kept. Room size is good. Numerous places to eat nearby. Breakfast is really good as well.

Overall an awesome stay, will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed for 14 nights and loved every minute, Very well looked after hotel. Caring and very efficent staff at all levels (from maintenance to management) awesome food but a little expensive, very clean rooms, a must if looking for anniversary celebrations or honey moon. Be careful with time of year tho,

• Stayed August 2013
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We are in accord with the majority of your reviewers – and our expectations were more than met in this comfortable, boutique-style hotel.

Our journey to Langkawi was to celebrate our 30th Wedding Anniversary in style and that is what we did at Casa del Mar. A very romantic welcome in our room courtesy of housekeeping. A table further down the beach from other dining guests. Comfortable armchairs on Oriental rugs surrounded by flickering candles in very tall holders. Our special La Luna dinner consisted of seven courses of beautiful food matched with wine, soft sand, waves breaking in front of us, and a beautiful sunset. This is a celebration which we will always remember. We enjoyed several other delicious sea-side dinners and breakfast each day with lovely views out to sea and nearby islands, and attended by the very friendly staff under Robert’s supervision – nothing was too much trouble to ensure our every need being met.

We took the Indulgence Package which covered four a la carte dinners and two spa massage treatments – we were well and truly indulged! The room we chose was a very spacious beachfront studio suite. It was extremely quiet and comfortable and a few steps from the sparkling pool and beach front, with its own fenced courtyard inc. windows onto the beach. Nothing was left to chance privacy-wise. Heavy curtains kept the morning sun at bay for as long as we wished. We lazed our days away on comfortable lounges and were pampered with offerings of cold, aromatic flannels, fresh fruit kebabs, fresh, home-made mango ices and icy cold water unobtrusively provided by Wan. It’s no wonder that we came away from our 12 day stay in a very relaxed and happy state.

Room Tip: The beachfront studio villa was very roomy, quiet, and only steps from the beach and lounges
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have mixed feelings about Casa del Mar – I think other TA reviewers have perhaps built up the resort a little too much. Please don't get me wrong this is a lovely hotel, I was expecting a little more luxury - this is not a five star hotel, it is however a lovely boutique hotel built on prime real estate. If you want peace and quiet, enjoy the beach then this may be the place for you – perfect for honeymooners. Casa del Mar does cater for children.

Location: Casa del Mar is a 31 room boutique hotel situated on Pantai Cenang beach. Within walking distance of the hotel are several restaurants, cafes, day spas, reflexology and small clothing/gift shops. This is not a ‘happening’ area – there is no nightlife to speak of. If you’re looking for high end restaurants and bars – this is possibly not for area for you.

Rooms: Casa del Mar offers either seaview or beach rooms. The seaview/beach rooms are exactly the same in size/decor except the seaview are positioned around the swimming pool (then you look directly onto the beach). From our seaview room it took approx 5 seconds to walk onto the beach, we had a great view of the ocean and could hear the waves pounding at night. Personally I probably wouldn’t pay the extra for the direct beach access room as they all have great views. The rooms are a little tired, definitely not luxuriou but cosy. Our bathroom was fairly basic, the toilet didn’t flush particularly well, the shower was a bit grotty and tiny – the bathrooms generally need refurbishment. Storage is excellent, lots of drawer and hanging space. Lots of nice little touches, oils burned each evening, scented book marks, next day’s weather forecast and cookies.

Beach – it’s lovely. Staff clean the beach each morning. Be warned there are lots of jet skis, banana boats, parasailing activities on the beach. The hotel has sectioned off a part of the ocean to ensure the safety of its swimming guests. The hotel has a kayak which you can borrow complimentary – you can kayak to the nearby island.

The pool is lovely, plenty of loungers by the pool, under the shade or on the beach - getting a spot isn't a problem. Staff service cold water and fruit skewers throughout the day.

Facilities – gym is basic but adequate. Dayroom – lounge/shower avail for those with a late flight. Library with lots of books/games and computer access. Wine cellar with a great selection of wine.

Spa – we enjoyed one treatment at the spa. Be warned it’s very popular so you may wish to book before you arrive especially if you prefer an early evening massage (open 11-7pm so limited appointments). The spa is reasonably priced.

Breakfast (7-11am) – there is a huge cooked breakfast menu something to suit everyone in addition to a small selection of salad, cheese & meats, bread & pastries, fruit, juices etc. One morning Bloody Mary’s were offered (make your own) and another Bellini – which was a nice touch. We stuck to the Malaysian/asia breakfast Roti chani as we felt the western breakfasts were not as exciting.
Lunch/dinner – excellent value, beautiful food – weather permitting you can dine on the beach which is wonderful. Thought restaurant was well priced as were the cocktails/alcohol. Room service is available for all meals.

There is a lovely cabana bar which is popular all day and evening - the bar staff are very friendly. It's lovely to have a cocktail and watch the sun go down.

If you are looking for total rest and relaxation and want to avoid the larger chain hotels (Four Season & Datai) then this is a good alternative. Check out their website as they offer packages,

Room Tip: All rooms have great views ... it's all down to budget. Ask for 'Exotic' is a seaview ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is an amazing boutique, intimate hotel right on the ocean. We were traveling with our 4 month old so I had to spend a lot of time in the room nursing, napping etc. but the best part is I didn't mind because I could see the beach and ocean right from my bed! We stayed in a deluxe suite on the first floor and it was really nice and comfortable with great views...literally right on the beach and steps away from the lovely pool which was super convenient. The food at this property is awesome and the service is great. Only downsides were the beach is a bit noisy (lots of jet skis and general public humming about) and the beach quality is not that great compared to the beach at the Andaman hotel (where we stayed prior to coming here) Its mostly older couples and honeymooners here so we did feel a bit nervous with the baby at times (as babies tend to shriek and it was super quiet!) but the hotel staff was super friendly and made us feel at home. Also loved that it is super close to the airport- again all important factors when traveling with a baby!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!