“What a wonderful to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa del Mar, Langkawi

Save Saved
You added Casa del Mar, Langkawi to your Saves list
Casa del Mar, Langkawi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Pantai Cenang, Mukim Kedawang, Pantai Cenang, Langkawi 07000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #1 of 13 hotels in Pantai Cenang
Manila, Philippines
“What a wonderful to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

It is beautiful resort, excellent service, friendly staff, very accommodating, they clean your room twice a day, and the way they set a romantic dinner, it was really great! We had a wonderful vacation here with my partner!

1,518 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Casa del Mar for four nights as part of our honeymoon trip in June 2013 and loved it! From the moment we arrived we received a warm welcome which continued during our time there.

We booked a beach front studio suite which was about 3 meters away from the beautiful sandy beach. The room was nice, with a seating/lounge area and a large bathroom. There were also good amenities in the room too - snacks and drinks etc.

Breakfast was delicious, there is a buffet style selection and a menu to choose from too. The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner which was particularly good - get it delivered to your sunlounger with a cocktail - perfect!

The hotel sits on a great street that is full of excellent local places to eat, we had some delicious meals for about £3 pp and it's nice for a short stroll in the evenings too. During our stay we hired a scooter (from opposite the hotel entrance) and cruised around - definitely the best way to see the island.

All in all a wonderful stay - we really didn't want to leave!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Very friendly staff, very good restaurant/food available for room service and lovely rooms/overall grounds. Highly recommend a stay here if in Langkawi. Be sure to research into where you wish to visit whilst on the island as it's quite large in area. i.e. Potentially lengthy taxi rides if you don't research accordingly.

Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Casa del Mar is a real excellent place. I have been there twice. The room and bathroom are big and comfortable. The location is excellent (despite my review concerning Cenang Beach). The service is professional and food is good. But the very Best of CDM is the staff, very friendly and always helpful. SoI don't really understand a few negative comments I read about the staff. But OK everybody has a different perception of the meaning of friendly, which for me is a different than servile.

Room Tip: Beachfront Studio are perfect for couples, quite and romantic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for spending the time to write this long review and sharing such wonderful comments on your recent stay with us. We are delighted you loved it!

We are even more thankful when considering you came to visit us all the way from Canada!!

We hope you had a safe trip back home and hope we will have the pleasure to see you again in the future!

Warm regards
Tom Blachere
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

I wasn't going to write a review but then I just read supertooth's and felt compelled to. The reviewer says they are not a highly demanding westerner ? Ha! Poppycock! They clearly are. They clearly just like to moan about ridiculous small things that see so insignificant it's embarrassing they're a fellow westerner! So, let's be clear; this hotel is AMAZING. I too, just like longtooth, have travelled all over the world (including Thailand twice in some pretty nice resorts) and Casa Del Mar is probably the best hotel I have had the pleasure of staying in! I don't know what this reviewer is on - maybe they think they are royalty but I don't see how anything could be better. Rooms are gorgeous and clean - and big. You get a jar of cookies and nuts and flip flops and beach bags. You get water and aromatherapy spray for your face. The beds are huge and comfy and rooms kept very cool.
The staff are absolutely delightful! So happy and friendly and will do anything for you. The location is dreamy, the sunbeds beyond comfy and you are regularly served iced water, fruit, cold towels and lollipops!
The breakfast is INCREDIBLE. There is a wonderful fresh fruit station where you choose from an array of local fruit and it is cut up for you and brought to your table. The breakfast menu has some really well thought out and beautifully cooked dishes - egg white omlette, eggs florintine, waffles, cooked breakfasts - all beautifully cooked and very tasty. There is even a Bloody Mary station!
The gym is good enough for a bit of exercise and the pool is lovely and never busy. The towels are big and fluffy and the toiletries in the bedroom are gorgeous.
I was there for 3 days and never had a problem with wifi and managed to sit on the beach bed every day and do 'business' quite adequately. The evening restaurant food is amazing: melt in your mouth steak and the Malaysian platter so lovely. We are actually at the moment staying in the Bejaya in another part of the island and far prefer Casa Del Mar - we went back there for dinner last night and took our friends with us who had met us here for the weekend.

Location is fab. The beach is lovely. Such white powdery sand and a great selection of little bars and cafe's up the road (we loved Babylon and Raffis for absolute bargain food and drinks!)

I think the reviewer is way too fussy. I believe this place offers incredible value for money - I would expect to pay more.

So go. It rocks.

We'll be going back one day I hope.

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by this boutique hotel. It was nice to be treated like a valued customer. The hotel is intimate but private as well. Hand towels in the public bathroom instead of paper or dryers. That is the mark of a quality hotel. Food, beverage and service fantastic. Rooms are well appointed. You are in town do can walk to the local restaurants to savour the food as well. Will only be staying hear again

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We were promptly picked up from the airport and driven to Casa del Mar.

Check in was fine but not overly attentive. On our 2pm arrival (for a 2pm check-in) the room was not ready yet. I had to request a tour of the resort in order to kill time; no pampering was offered while we waited for the room to be ready.
The room (seafront room) was adequate - clan and spacious, comfortable and a good bathroom. Though it is more rustic than shmick despite the shmick price tag.
House keeping was very efficient though they did not top up biscuits on the second day. Very good with water top ups and towel changes

Significantly, breakfast service was quite poor. Saturday morning we had a choice of three tables; I requested one that had not been cleared but instead of doing a quick table change, I was motioned (pointed finger) to sit in the worst table by the door, which was essentially a thoroughfare.
A la carte orders were very slow and incorrect. Juice and water were not topped up - I had to get my own. Requested to move table before food was served though it seemed like the staff could not cope with the request and it took far too long for them to clear and change tables. The female staff members were good (waitress and fruit chef)

Sunday morning breakfast - quiet but still service was poor - impersonal, slow (at taking orders, clearing and no top up of drinks until you get the attention of wait staff) and not very attentive. Female staff members better, again.
The rendang is not bad but not great (positive comments must be from inexperienced Western tourists), the mamak noodles are way TOO SALTY (Western tastes) but the fruit makes up for it. The buffet options are limited.

Monday morning: If it is stated breakfast starts at 7am, then everything should be ready at 7am; not 15-20 minutes later; this was particularly frustrating as we had to leave early to take an early morning flight, so could not have breakfast in comfort.
***Plates should be replaced with ones with brims as the current ones are terrible as things fly off them easily!!!

Beach comforts are very good but being on the far end of the beach makes one a little neglected with the fruit, cold face towels and ice water top ups. The central beach front lounges are the best as they are doubles and super comfortable.
The best thing we did on the resort was to take the kayak out for an afternoon - go across to the nearest Island where you will find a private beach and calmer water. Gorgeous.

The internet unreliability is unacceptable especially for the price paid. Those needing to do any business in private will struggle in this resort.

I am not a highly demanding (Western) tourist but I have travelled extensively internationally; and if I am paying five star prices (CDM is an expensive enough resort) but not receiving a five star experience I would rightly be disappointed. You get far more value for your money in a Thai beach resort.
Generally, service was not great given the high price tag. For similar resorts in Thailand the service is far superior - there were many missed opportunities of saying "good afternoon" or "good evening" from staff; I agree it's very casual and relaxed in the typical Malay style - this is not a discredit (I was born in Malaysian myself) but certainly this is not polished service, particularly when considering the expensive nightly rates.
On the whole I had an enjoyable time here though I do not believe the high prices provide value for money.
The service aspect needs to be greatly improved to raise it to a more polished and refined level. Everyone is very polite and helpful but the resort lacks the refinement that should be reflected by the price tag.

Room Tip: Not sure if difference in rooms make a difference as low lying and small complex - save your money w...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
TomBlachere, General Manager at Casa del Mar, Langkawi, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay at Casa del Mar.

I appreciate it as always with a view to improving our product and service at all times.

I very much regret the breakfast was not ready on time on this Monday morning even more so for the impersonal and slow service you received. This is out of character, however is unacceptable.

Rest assured I have taken note and investigated every concern raised through your comments. A debriefing has followed with our team and managers and all efforts are placed in rectifying our shortfalls.

A precision I would add up for our readers: Internet access is nowadays expected almost everywhere from hotel, cafes and even hospitals. We have in this regard strengthen the WiFi signal by installing an additional 02 antennas this year. Unfortunately as all of us we rely on an Internet provider which when failing to its obligations, leaves us with very little option except first and foremost to inform our clientele. Fortunately we have a 3G backup available for any emergency.

I'm disappointed we were not able to meet your expectations although you overall enjoyed your stay, for this I apologize.

All I can ask is that should you provide us the opportunity to welcome you gain, I will personally see to your booking ensuring a much better experience. Please don’t hesitate to email me at tom.blachere@casadelmar-langkawi.com

Been to Casa del Mar, Langkawi? Share your experiences!