“Out-of-date and dissappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Pantai Cenang
San Francisco, California
“Out-of-date and dissappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2006

After reading all of the reviews, I was excited about my stay at Pelangi. Perhaps my expectations were too high because I did not think that this hotel was "perfect" or "fantastic" as fellow travelers have posted here on this site. Here are my observations:
1. The rooms seemed very out of date and the bedding (70s retro and pretty gross) reminded me more of the Holiday Inns in Las Vegas than a resort.
2. The fitness center had all old equipment. Other than the newer treadmills, all of the other equipment in the gym again, reminded me of the 1970s.
3. While the staff was pleasant, I would not say that they went out of their way at all. In fact – the opposite: The babysitters showed up late, the maintenance man kept on ringing the doorbell incessantly even though I had the “do not disturb sign” on the door and my baby was sleeping, the gym staff member did not help me turn on the music or the TV even though it was obvious that it was his job (I was the only person in the gym at the time). The gym person in fact turned off all of the lights to get out of gym so I had to feel my way out and could not see the steps on the outside of the facility.

Good points:
1.Great food
2.Excellent spa

All in all, pay the extra money to go somewhere a bit better

• Stayed January 2006
, Hotel General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, February 8, 2006
Dear Sir/Madam,

First of all I sincerely apologies if, in any way, we did not performed to your satisfaction.

I am pleased to inform you and other guests that by March 1st 2006 we will start our room refurbishment.
Pelangi is one of the most established resorts on Langkawi and enjoys strong support from return customers. It is important that we continually maintain and improve our facilities for our guests. While our guestrooms are well
maintained, we have made the decision to upgrade them to make them more contemporary for our tropical location and to introduce a few new guest facilities in line with worldwide hospitality trends.

The rooms will be refurbished with the best local products to give them a more spacious feel. This includes lighter wood tones and fabrics as well as some structural changes to the rooms.

Guest comfort is always our first priority and as the work on the chalets will be staggered we will be able to keep our guests free of any
disturbances while having the work done quickly.

I do personally apologies for the poor service treatment you suffered in our Heath club which is absolutely unacceptable and you can rest assure that no stone shall be left unturned to ensure that all our guests receive only the
very best from all of us when staying with at Pelangi.

I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to prove to you that such incident was only a most unfortunate accident.

Wishing you a wonderful day
Sincerely

Francois G.Sigrist, PJK
Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

My partner and I were married at Pelangi Beach on the 29th March 2005. We had a two centre holiday and stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in Kuala Lumpur before flying on to Langkawi. The Pelangi was a little tired by the Mandarin Oriental standards and on our initial arrival this worried us, however we need not have worried. The staff at the Pelangi went to great trouble to ensure that our wedding was perfect. I cannot stress enough how hard the staff worked or how wonderful our wedding day and infact the whole holiday was. The Pelangi is in need of a little refurbishment, but the fact that the staff were great, pools incredibly clean, food excellent and that Langkawi was so unspoilt and safe made up for it. We are going back this year in April and cannot wait. What we particularly loved is that we could walk on the beach and no one tried to sell you anything and that the staff at Pelangi genuinely want you to have a great time and don't hassle you for tips unlike many other places that we have been . The beach is clean, but if you want to swim in the sea I would not recommend it here as the sea is rather murky. If you want a quiet,laid back family holiday (we took our two teenagers who loved it)with sheer relaxation, good food and fantastic value for money I would recommend Pelangi.

• Stayed March 2005
İzmir,Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2006

January 2006 we stayed for one week at Pelangi,and we enjoyed every minute. The hotel is located on the favorite beach of the ısland and is very central. We booked 2 garden view rooms, when we arrived we saw that our rooms were facing a wonderful garden but at the same time had a little bit of sea view. The rooms were big,comfortabile with huge verandas. As a family we enjoyed the pool very much. The staff was very kind and helpful. A lovely place for those who wish to visit Langkawi.

Ankara- Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

First of all the sea s---- and it was very shallow , dont go to swim there .. the beach few km ahead had a better sea.The breakfast was ok but not super , the restaurants are so so , the rooms were so dark if you do stay in the entrance (1st floor) the room is very low but the second floor has a nice height . The rooms are big and does have nice balcony. 1,2,4,6 buildings does have enormous traffic noise that comes from the main road , if you will stay there good luck in your sleep or take something for your ears not to hear.. the rooms 47-51 and 24-32 are so far from the sea and reastaurants but you can rent a bike .. 16 and 18 has too much noise comming from the live music in the lobby so not so much alternatives are left to have a good room but the ones near by the lake and on the beach are good. There are insects so get some repeller sprey . Must rent a car as it is very cheap.Go to northern part tanjung rue is a nice resort and can go have some food and swim .. you do not need to see the pregnat women lake , but must see the island plua intan besar .. super with very nice sea to swim , must go to cable car a nice trip ... in the hotel all the employees are very nice and friendly but if you ask toı me I would not go there for the second time..Bon ton was good but not superb , there was to many mosquitos , the restaurant near the pelangi is superb .. with good service.. the japaneese please make a reservation as we could not find any table.. although I have asked reception of pelangi to make a reservation they have said no need but yes you should call by your self..

• Stayed January 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

Beach was being dug up in front of us, sand obviously still piled up from the Tsunami, lots of the nice sand has been washed away leaving shells and small stones. Water is dirty, Jellyfish everywhere and dangerous currents, a caution flag was never removed from the beach! This in not a langkawi thing, on the North side the water is crystal clear, beautifull white sands, Pelangi beach needs some serious investment and the Hotel need to learn how to interact with the beach more and to get some new furniture.

Breakfast is a complete waste of money, service and food very very poor, this is NOT a 4 star hotel. The cost of breakfast can buy you a 3 coarse meal for two with Cocktails so hire a car and drive to a local cafe, if you have not booked this hotel just stay in another one where breakfast in the hotel does not upset you before your day has started. Driving down the road to buy breakfast in a basic cafe is not as relaxing as I have experienced in the past.

Being wooden the rooms suffer from noise problems, listening to the couple next door getting jiggy at 8am did not impress me at all, luckily my 7 year old son was still asleep!!

back to the beach....imagine thick metal poles(a water breaker) 3 feet high cutting along the beach then into the water right across the main view of focus that Pelangi was bosting as one of the best Beaches on the Island, we hired a car and drove around the entire Island looking for better beaches in desperation and I can confirm 100% that this is THE WORST BEACH in the whole of Langkawi, there were even dead cats floating around in the water.

Noise, If you look on a MAP you will also see that you are on the main flight path for Langkawi Airport so if the noisey jet ski's and strong smell of diesel has not upset you whilst sunbathing then jumbo jets flying past all day will probably top you off.

Pelangi ruined our holiday, we had to spend a fortune paying off our own backs to go and stay in the Datai on the North side of the Island, this was to die for but the Bill was very high however at least we walked away feeling good about the experience.

Pelangi looks like it was probably the best 20 years ago, without some serious money being spent on the entire complex from the beach to the staff and the chefs I would avoid this resort for safety.

From the UK its a long way to gor for such a run down complex.

Thanks, hope I have just saved you some money.

• Stayed December 2005
, Hotel General Manager at Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi, responded to this review, January 19, 2006
Dear Sir / Madam,

First of all I would like to express our most sincere apologies, if we did not, somehow met your expectation.
I sincerely regret that we did not had the opportunity to meet personally and resolve or clarify some of the issues promptly to ensure you had a pleasant and memorable stay with us.

Please allow me to explain on your comments with regards to the beach. Yes, I have to acknowledge that our beach is covered with lots of beautiful seashells in different shapes, depending on the time of the year. It is probably one of the reasons our sand is fine and white. It is also a great attraction for guests and locals to collect the shells in the early morning.

Concerning the jellyfish, it is a seasonal occurrence and I am glad to say it is not as frequent, thus it is safe for the guests to swim in the sea but we always prefer to caution all our guests of the potential risk.

Also we have a wave breaker at some part of our beach to protect our beach from erosion caused by strong waves during the monsoon season. It was also honestly very helpful during the tsunami in 2004. We have built the small sand dune in front of the wave breaker to enable guest to see only sand and sea from afar and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Concerning our Breakfast, I am, again, very sorry if we did not meet your expectations and would like to assure you that I will personally review with my team your comments to ensure that all our guests receive only the very best from all of us.

Once again, I sincerely regret for any discomfort we may have caused you but would nevertheless appreciate another opportunity to serve you again.

Wishing you a very Happy New Year, full of Joy, Happiness, Success and Good Health!

Have a wonderful week ahead.

Very sincerely,

Francois Sigrist

uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Pelangi -
arrived in Langkawi to pouring rain, we had heard the weather had taken a bad turn. Arrived at the Pelangi and the resort was lovely so our spirits were lifted. The staff came across so professional and friendly. It was 22nd Dec and the xmas atmosphere & decorations were classy & tasteful. We were taken in a golf buggy to our 2nd floor chalet room. It was fab - very authentic - nice size and very clean and new looking. Bathrooms was lovely - our balcony looked over the cascade pool. Free bottles of water everyday in the room, free newspaper. Mini bar in the room, hairdryer, safe, satelite TV. Room Cleaned everyday & tydied. The two pools were gorgeous. Excellent location 5 minute walk to local restaurants, all very cheap and yummy. We had no upset tummy the whole time we were there. We hired a car and took a tour of the island, very easy to get around, not many roads. Tanjung Rhu was a lovely beach. You must go on the snorkelling trip to pulau Palayar. I swam around sharks (amazing). The resort was 10 out of 10 on everything. We stayed a few days around the pool (being backpacker type travellers we never do this) but the place so was lovely we were quite happy to. Saw other resorts and think we were the lucky ones. Met a couple who went onto the sheraton (a part of their trip) then came back!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

These are my rambling thoughts having returned from Pelangi today, sorry if I’m not clear but I’m tired!

Firstly, The Pelangi was completely adequate.

We arrived from the Mandarin Oriental in KL and as such the Pelangi was always going to be a poor relation in comparison, which we were prepared for.

The main lobby was lit by Christmas lights so maybe it wasn't as gloomy as others have previously stated.

The room was a Deluxe Lake View, which was comfortable and had everything that you could want in a room, large bed, clean bathroom with bath and shower, decent TV with good selection of channels, nice balcony, safe etc. But the room was adequate, no more, no less.

It did look tired though, I noticed that most of the chalets looked like they could do with a refurbishment and the fact that you get a tired looking carpet instead of tiled/marble floors gives an indication of the fact that this is not the 5 star hotel it claims to be.

Pros - FAMILY FRIENDLY, if you have kids, stay here as there is nowhere better equipped to cater for them. Excellent pools, well maintained gardens, good location - Pantai Cenang is by far the liveliest resort on the Island. Not too many mosquitoes, only 2 bites in 2 weeks!

Cons - Poor service. I just don't understand this obsession with the fact that the staff are friendly! So what? We encountered friendly service in every place we visited in Malaysia, Pelangi is no different.

The staff are not the highest caliber on the Island. Basically they don't speak English very well. Now I don't mean to be an ignorant Brit abroad but English is the international Tourist language, so Swedes, French, Germans and any other nationality would have even more of an issue than we did.

Part of the traveling experience is trying to communicate with the natives and I commend anyone that speaks another language, but you expect the check in staff to speak some English........if you want to complain about anything...forget it, they won't understand.

Some previous posters made a big deal about the service at Pelangi, it is good by British standards, but came bottom of the league when compared to Sheraton, Datai, Four Seasons, Tanjun Rhu and others.

We hired a jeep on two occasions and toured the Island having snacks and lunch at the various hotels and resorts. No-one minds this and you can just turn up with a towel and use the facilities at these hotels without fear of being ejected. Even if we were asked, (usually when paying for drinks) we were welcomed as guests.

The Datai was superb, as was the Four Seasons, but these two are remote! If you want private seclusion then these are for you.

I would recommend the Sheraton just up the coast from Pelangi as a classier base from where you can get to the rest of the Island and Pantai Cenang. Best of all would be Casa Del Mar.....fantastic pool, excellent cocktails and basically for adults rather than the child friendly Pelangi.

Island Hopping was a disappointment, the Mangrove is full of wildlife, but we didn't generally go on organised tours but explored the island ourselves.

The weather is always hot and humid but it can be cloudy, which was actually nice when it wasn't a blanket cover as the sun is so intense. Beware; you can burn seriously even when the sun is behind the clouds. It tends to be sunny in the morning then clouds over at around 2-3 pm, so sun worshipers get up early and do some tours in the afternoon. We had 3 completely clear days out of 13, but only 2 with rain.

The Pelangi restaurants are overpriced, the pool bars charge £1.50 for a Sprite!!. Nyom Thai was good, but the portions were huge! The Spice Market staff looked disinterested.

To eat I would recommend Bon Ton although it is expensive for Langkawi but the food is great, Champor Champor, Orchid Ryu(sp) Sun Village, (excellent Malay food) and a fantastic Japanese Restaurant Unkaisen(sp).

We will be back in Langkawi, but at the Casa Del Mar or Sheraton, anyone that has been to those resorts will know what I mean.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi? Share your experiences!