This resort is under renovation when I was there a few days back. Generally, the place is very nicely landscaped with a lot of trees for shade (which is the way we like it) and we were given a Garden room (602) which was nice and spanking new. The room is big, comfortable and the complimentary mini bar was great. The beach was one of the nicest I have seen in Langkawi- really clean and quiet with a wonderful view of the Andaman Sea.
My problem with this property lies in its service- not with the front desk (the lady on duty was heavily pregnant but extremely curteous and nice), or dining (we did not try out the restaurants here)- the housekeeping leaves much to be desired and from our experience, the buggy service is seriously tardy.
I maybe be a bit overzealous when it comes to cleanliness as I travel with a 1.5 year toddler, but the standard of housekeeping here is definitely not 5*. Someone left their empty room dining dishes almost outside our doorstep when we checked in at 3.30pm. Late the next afternoon, the dishes were still there, along with some pool towels somebody else have chucked there on the same morning. We had a room with a balcony. Although the right hand side of the balcony floor itself was almost spotless, the left side of our balcony floor and railing were infested with insect droppings. I do not get this, why clean part of the balcony and not clean up the rest? We had to cordon of the balcony so that our toddler do not accidentally step on the droppings or end up with any kind of infection from there.
Besides this, the buggy service also drove us insane by not turning up at all. The property is huge, and due to the renovations, we have to walk the other far end of the property to use the swimming pool. We walked quite a few times to the pool for a swim, but on the 1 occasion we decided to call for the buggy services to go back to our room as our toddler was to tired to walk back. We requested the towel man on duty to assist in calling a buggy at 6.50pm. We waited for 20 minutes and there was no buggy. We went back to the towel counter to remind them of our request. Another guy was on duty this time. He called the buggy services again and requested that we wait at the assigned stand for the buggy. We stood for another 15 minutes and still there was not sign of a buggy. My husband saw a loaded buggy coming and requested for the guy to come back for us after he has dropped off his passenger. He said ok, dropped off his passenger (very near to where we were), did a turn further up (we thought he was doing a U turn), and then took another turning off the road to somewhere else. And yes, he did not pick us up. This is so non-typical of any class of resort that we were left speechless.
The thing is, the resort also tries to solve the distance issue by providing bicycles for free. We tried out quite a few of the bikes but almost all of them had no brakes!! Quite a few of the residences had run ins with each other as we were not able to stop our bikes on time. And the one kids bike they have were actually so rusted that it is a prime habitat for the tatanus bacteria.
I would expect some of the issues above to exist in a 2* or 3* hotel, and am genuinely surprised to have encountered them at Meritus Pelangi. Meritus Pelangi could truly be an amazing place for a holiday if they would only clean up their act.
- Also Known As:
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort And Spa, Langkawi
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Hotel Pantai Cenang
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Hotel
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Langkawi
- Pelangi Beach
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort Langkawi
- Pelangi Beach Resort Langkawi
- Pelangi Beach Resort
- Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi Pantai Cenang
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Designed in the style of a traditional Malay village, Meritus Pelangi's 355 guestrooms and suites are housed in wooden chalets that are spread across 35 acres of lush landscaped gardens along a stretch of white sandy shores. Be ushered into a world of ethnic charm and tropical tranquility at this award-winning resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, Splendia, AsiaRooms, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelTravel.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort & Spa, Langkawi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.