I just spent July 4th weekend at Mayang Sari, Bintan. The location is great and very close to the ferry. The beach is nice and fairly private though shared with the low end market, Nirwana Beach Club which is a major problem I will address later. Unfortunately, trash and cigarette buts on the beach were a common sight. It is shocking to me that people still litter in this day and age. However, the water was clean, calm and inviting. The guests were nice and quiet and the resort is very serene during THE DAY.
Thanks to the Nirwana Beach Club resort down the beach, the night time becomes filled with 20,000 decibels of dance music and bass that does not stop until 2am. So after a relaxing, quiet day spent on the beach and the porch of my beachside cabana, I was subjected to the equivalent of sleeping above a NYC nightclub until 2am every night. For this reason alone, I would not go back to Mayang Sari.
But wait...there's more !!!
When I checked in (they made me wait for 20 mins in my work suit in 92 degree heat), my cabana was a mess with trash left in the dresser, a pool of water on the floor from a broken AC unit, hair on my pillow, and debris on the floor. It was a joke. When I complained to the front desk, the pseudo-manager could not bridge the gap that this should be considered a problem and he simply offered to clean the mess up and keep me in the room. A Holiday Inn in Syracuse, NY would understand that this was unacceptable service yet a supposed mid-market resort does not ?
There was also the incident where they messed up my lunch order but refused to take it off my bill. I spent S$1,000 at Mayang over 2 days and the restaurant manager was harassing me over a $20 lunch tab that THEY got wrong. It was unbelievable. Any resort worth its brand would have immediately offered to comp my lunch and apologize for the mistake. But not the folks at Mayang Sari ! They fought for every nickel.
Despite the abhorent customer service - the location, the beach front cabanas, the convience from S'pore, and the quiet daytime atmosphere would bring me back there. BUT, the nightclub on the beach is a TOTAL DEAL KILLER. Paying $280/night for sleep deprivation via trance music is not my idea of a vacation.
In all fairness, Asep (on-site manager) was excellent and I suspect that he could succeed in the hotel business with any international brand. And the bell hops were friendly and helpful. But in general, Nirwana Gardens and Mayang Sari are 10 years behind Thailand in understanding what customer service truly means. Needless to say, I will not be going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Leave the world behind as you cruise to Mayang Sari Beach Resort Bintan - a rustic resort tucked away in a pretty little cove on Bintan Island. Set in unspoiled nature on the northern coast of Bintan Island, Mayang Sari Beach Resort offers the perfect haven for a brief respite or a long weekend. Wake up to fresh sea breeze and the lush beauty of a tropical beach. Each air-conditioned chalet is equipped with modern amenities and also has an attached bathroom and a private veranda that commands either a garden or sea view. *Mayang Sari Beach Resort guests have access to all facilities and restaurants within Nirwana Gardens ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Despegar.com and Asiatravel.com Holdings so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwan Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Lagoi
- Mayang Sari Beach Bintan
- Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Bintan
- Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort Bintan Island/Lagoi