“A Decade Behind Thailand in Hotel Custormer Service, Noisy Nightclub” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort

You added Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort to your Saves list
Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Panglima Pantar | Bintan Resorts, Bintan Island, Lagoi, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lagoi
NYC
“A Decade Behind Thailand in Hotel Custormer Service, Noisy Nightclub”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

I just spent July 4th weekend at Mayang Sari, Bintan. The location is great and very close to the ferry. The beach is nice and fairly private though shared with the low end market, Nirwana Beach Club which is a major problem I will address later. Unfortunately, trash and cigarette buts on the beach were a common sight. It is shocking to me that people still litter in this day and age. However, the water was clean, calm and inviting. The guests were nice and quiet and the resort is very serene during THE DAY.

Thanks to the Nirwana Beach Club resort down the beach, the night time becomes filled with 20,000 decibels of dance music and bass that does not stop until 2am. So after a relaxing, quiet day spent on the beach and the porch of my beachside cabana, I was subjected to the equivalent of sleeping above a NYC nightclub until 2am every night. For this reason alone, I would not go back to Mayang Sari.

But wait...there's more !!!

When I checked in (they made me wait for 20 mins in my work suit in 92 degree heat), my cabana was a mess with trash left in the dresser, a pool of water on the floor from a broken AC unit, hair on my pillow, and debris on the floor. It was a joke. When I complained to the front desk, the pseudo-manager could not bridge the gap that this should be considered a problem and he simply offered to clean the mess up and keep me in the room. A Holiday Inn in Syracuse, NY would understand that this was unacceptable service yet a supposed mid-market resort does not ?

There was also the incident where they messed up my lunch order but refused to take it off my bill. I spent S$1,000 at Mayang over 2 days and the restaurant manager was harassing me over a $20 lunch tab that THEY got wrong. It was unbelievable. Any resort worth its brand would have immediately offered to comp my lunch and apologize for the mistake. But not the folks at Mayang Sari ! They fought for every nickel.

Despite the abhorent customer service - the location, the beach front cabanas, the convience from S'pore, and the quiet daytime atmosphere would bring me back there. BUT, the nightclub on the beach is a TOTAL DEAL KILLER. Paying $280/night for sleep deprivation via trance music is not my idea of a vacation.

In all fairness, Asep (on-site manager) was excellent and I suspect that he could succeed in the hotel business with any international brand. And the bell hops were friendly and helpful. But in general, Nirwana Gardens and Mayang Sari are 10 years behind Thailand in understanding what customer service truly means. Needless to say, I will not be going back.

• Liked — beach front cabana
  • Disliked — the night club on the beach that blasted dance music until 2am
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I stayed at the Mayang Sari for 2 and a half weeks. I found the resort clean, safe and comfortable. The room was massive and right on the beach, and the staff were friendly and attentive. The activities are plentiful and well priced. I felt that hearing the waves from the beach the most relaxing thing ever, and the experience unforgettable. This is a place that I intend to visit again, and would not hesitate to recommend to others looking at their options. The room price was definately affordable and good value for money.

• Liked — The way it was set out on the beach
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2008

Much better than stay box hotel, enjoyed this place.

Foods are great, friendly stuff, Just love it.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Perth,Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2008

My wife and I have just recently spent 6 days at Mayang Sari.Quite frankly it was everything in a holiday that we wanted.Great accomodation ( we were in Stingray 4 ), which was cleaned every day, right on the beach.The beach was lovely,the water warm and the sound of the waves at night made for a great sleep. We found the whole resort to be peaceful with friendly,attentive and smiling staff everywhere we went who made us feel totally welcome. The breakfast buffet was plentiful with a lot of choice and indeed we found the food to be great wherever we ate.An unforgetable experience and we will return again.

• Liked — It was spacious and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2008

We just came back from 1 week vacation at Mayang Sari (my husband, 3-yrs-old twins and I) and we just loved it. The location is excellent, the beach and sea absolutely beautiful. It's a paradise!

We had a beach front bungalow, huge!! Usually, since we are 4 people, we are always compressed when we go out for vacation, but this was the first time we had plenty of room for everybody.
The bungalows are simple furnished, and the hotel provides only the bare necessities, nothing more, but, in a place like that, who needs more than that??

The staff was very efficient and the whole resort (Nirvana garden) is very well organized. My kids got flu and fever and they were assisted by a very good doctor inside the Resort.

The price is not exactly cheap, but I guess you pay for the location, which is worth it!

The only part we adults didn't like much, was the food... quite terrible.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2008

We just got back from 5 days at Mayang and want to go back. A great family friendly accommodation with access to all resort facilities. We stayed in a garden-view cabin (in a row behind the beachfront cabins) which were lovely and rustic, so if you want sparkling brand new, better go elsewhere. But we thought they were perfect - ample space for kids to play and they slept cosily in one corner in the fold-out and day bed. There is a bath in the bathroom (always a bonus for kids), and a hidden wardrobe area and bar fridge and kettle behind a privacy curtain. The large sized deck out the front was definitely a bonus, and the tropical greenery surrounds were very relaxing. I even tried the spa next door for a south seas massage one night - can't get a more relaxing setting than this! My husband indulged as well by renting a catamaran for an hour and had a ball.
The buffet breakfast at Mayang was lovely with ample choice and the service was friendly and attentive. It is very easy to walk around the resort grounds, or use their free shuttle bus to explore their different restaurants (highly recommend the Nirwana Beach Club restaurant for its beach location and great menu - try the pizza or the White Sands cocktail!). Also the hotel pool with its' drink bar was a kid favourite with a large playground conveniently located nearby. The mini zoo is also worth checking out and the beaches with their white sand and shallow calm waters are another plus. The only downside was the occasional tar marks on your feet you would discover after a swim. But easily forgotten once you immerse yourself in the laidback, carefree, frilly summer dress and coloured thong mentality. We had already decided while we there that we would return, and after checking out the other hotel options, we would stay with Mayang Sari cabins again as it is more secluded and private than the hotel and has a lovely vibe.

• Liked — the relaxing tropical hideaway feel
  • Disliked — the cabins could maybe benefit from a facelift
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

We visited Singapore first and then went to Bintan for 4 days to chill out. The ferry transfer and shuttle buses ran with no problems.

The Mayang Sari is more suited to couples looking to relax and take it easy. There is a spa on site and my partner and I enjoyed a body scrub, massage and had our own private hut with outdoor shower and a private herbal bath, it was bliss.

We stayed in beach hut Lobster 2 and my parents stayed in beach hut Lobster 1 which look straight out to the beach and sea, the view is beautiful.

The staff were extremely friendly and on our last day made a special trip out of the restaurant to come and say goodbye to us.

The beach hut bathrooms could do with updating but they were clean and the view from the huts more than compensates.

At the weekend it can get busy and lots of young people arrive to have fun at a neighbouring resort, so my suggestion is to go in the week and leave on Friday if you want a more relaxing experience.

We went on the mangrove tour and really enjoyed it.

• Liked — The beach/sea views
  • Disliked — Bathroom could do with modernising but it was not an issue
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!