“Great weekend getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort to your Saves list
Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Panglima Pantar | Bintan Resorts, Bintan Island, Lagoi, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lagoi
“Great weekend getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

If you are in desperate need of a getaway but have limited time, Mayang Sari is a great place to go. I only had 2 days and was contemplating places like Tioman, Penang and even Bangkok. When I decided on Bintan, I was warned to be prepared to be disappointed. On the contrary, I was pretty impressed, especially by the cleanliness of the beach - it was so clear that when i stood in it, i can see fish swimming around my legs!

We were deciding between Mayang Sari and Nirwana Resort. When we got there, we had a look around - Mayang Sari was more rustic, more laid back and quieter while Nirwana Resort had more facilities, more restaurants/bars and more hype. We were very satisfied with our choice as Mayang Sari was a lot less crowded and had a bigger beach area. We stayed in a sea-facing villa and it was near perfect. The decor was very rustic and chilled; there was free drinks (soft drinks & mineral water) in the minibar, the bed was huge and soft, and the sea was right outside our porch. The only down side was that the bathroom was a little old but it was clean and everything else made up for it. The service was great - everyone was really friendly and helpful.

The resort was really well-maintained. We had a pleasant surprise when we walked from our hotel over to the nirwana resort hotel. We came across this "zoo" area where they kept animals like a vulture, hawk, crocodile, giant catfish, cobra, pythons... it was pretty impressive! I totally didn't expect that. The swimming pool was really nice, especially the jacuzzi bit and the pool bar was lovely.

Price-wise, it really is Singapore rates. We had dinner at the Kelong and I think it was a little overpriced and definitely not the best seafood. The black pepper crab was nothing like what we have in Singapore (it was a lot more buttery and sweeter) and the scallops were bland. Breakfast was a huge buffet spread at the Spice restaurant, with an amazing view of the sea and the beach so that was pretty awesome. One piece of advice - bring your own snacks and alcohol if you want to save some money. We did that and had a great picnic on our porch.

Room Tip: Get a sea-front villa!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

At first I was really hesitant to book this resort because of the mixed reviews (both positive and negative) that I read here in TripAdvisor. But then I still decided to book this resort (for 5 people) due to time and budget constraints. My expectations were not that high before we went to this place, especially for a person who came from a country that has lots of beautiful beaches (The Philippines). But when I saw the beach, I was truly amazed. Not really the most perfect beach out there, but the place is quite astonishing. There came a point wherein we felt that we own the place, less tourists and ideal for me and my friends! It's better than Phuket (Kata, Karon and Patong) to be honest with you, and less people, more privacy! And mind you, we went there during the holiday last week (Hari Raya). The staff was very helpful although I must agree that the price of food there is quite expensive (very Singaporean!). Also, don't try the Spa in the hotel, very expensive and not worth it. Go to Oleh, Oleh for cheaper massage! Anyway, in general we really enjoyed our stay, especially the sunset and the sand!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Kent, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

This is part of the Nirwana Gardens complex on the north coast of Bintan which involved an hour's ferry ride from Singapore. The complex is very much developed to a standard higher than the rest of the island with water treated to a good standard, a reliable electric supply and security around the resort.
We first went to Mayang Sari 10 years ago and were blown away at just how picturesque and idyllic it was. Returning after that time, we found that the beach, it's setting and the atmosphere were just as we remembered. The scenery in the bay is just perfect, with white sand, warm sea water at just the right depth for swimming, beautiful palm trees and well kept grounds, you couldn't wish for more. Mid-week, when we went, is best because it is quiet without the larger numbers from Singapore who come at the weekend. At times it feels like you have paradise to yourself. It really is a great place to relax and unwind. The weather is typically 30+ and generally a welcoming light breeze, although thunder storms occur every so often but are quickly over.
As reported by other reviewers, the chalets, whilst OK, are showing signs of wear and tear and the ravages of a tropical coastal climate. Everything worked in our chalet (do go for a sea view one for the best experience) and it was well serviced by the staff. Whilst the rooms have pretty much all you need, it doesn't pretend to be 5 star. The air conditioning was welcome on really hot days and we had no trouble with mosquitos although the room had a mosquito repelling device and they supplied some cream also. Whilst the room would have benefited from a refresh, we really didn't care because it was perfectly comfortable and the beach and surroundings just dominate the experience.
Breakfast is served in the central building of Mayang Sari and it to has splendid views over the beach and a virtually limitless choice. Fresh fruit, yoghurts, salads, cheeses, cooked items (full English without pork items of course), omelettes, pancakes, bread, cakes, pastries, cereals, juices and tea and coffee and for the more adventurous curries and local dishes.
The staff are all very friendly and so helpful and we felt very welcome from the moment we arrived. They also kindly arranged a transfer to another resort for us at the end of our stay.
There is a good range of restaurants in walking distance within Nirwana Gardens (or customers can use shuttle bus around the complex). Our favourite was the Japanese Restaurant although it was a little more expensive than the others.
There are organised excursions available for half or full days but these usually need to be booked at least one day in advance. Surprisingly, the receptionist in charge of excursions was not as enthusiastic and helpful as the rest of the staff. There are plenty of other sporting activities in the Complex, like archery, snorkelling, jet skiing, banana boat, canoeing or elephant shows and rides.
Whilst prices are more comparable to Singapore than the rest of Indonesia, they are still reasonable. We even tried the laundry service which was very good and cheap which is worth knowing if your luggage space is limited or you are in the middle of a long holiday.
Mayang Sari is definitely the best resort in the Complex for the beach, swimming, and tranquility.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view chalet to get the paradise panorama when you open the curtains in the morning!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Wonderful hosts, beautiful place to stay, by the beach, away from the city and city's mess, clean, happy, wind in the air.. ah bliss! Mayang Sari has all that and much more to offer. A quick ferry ride from Singapore, you are welcomed by these really kind people who drive you up to the resort. I even got a free upgrade to the villa as my rooms were blocked out. Who does that? They didn't even make us wait.
The food there at Spice is amazing. They have really good Indian and local food. The Indian dishes there are must try.
It is just a stone throw away from Nirwana Gardens, Nirwana Beach Club. So, resort hopping is possible too. They rent out bikes if required.
There are some water sports like the banana boat ride and jet skiing by the beach.
The Arcade nearby has a wonderful massage centre - very cheap and MUST TRY.

I would like to specially mention Gomgom - at the concierge at Mayang Sari. He sets an example of how you are a good host and the guests feel welcomed.

I am going back there for sure!

PS- I went with my parents and they LOVED the hospitality extended :)

Room Tip: Opt for the Indra maya Villa if in budget, else place a request for the beach facing room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Timaru
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

It so happened that I got to Bintan on the same week as China's Golden Week holidays. So, Bintan is busier than normal. With the commotion around me, I reminded myself again why I booked myself in at the Mayang Sari, to be away from humanity, to be left alone and just be. The experience of the hotel began the moment I arrived at the island's ferry terminal, with many of its staff greeting the guests and to ensure that we were getting into the right bus. The staff was patient and made the effort to talk to every and each passengers on the bus to ensure that they were all heading to the right destinations. Check-in time was at a rather late 3pm and check-out time was at around 12pm. So, we waited a while to be ushered into our room. The best thing of this place was definitely its natural pristine environment. The second best thing would be its gentle, friendly and laid-back staff that was always smiley and ready to crack a joke with us. The other reviewer got it right to say that there weren't enough seating for guests to lounge around, unless they wanted to sit in the restaurant. Restroom was tucked at the rear, which we could find easily by asking the attendant. The chalet that I'm occupying now has a lot of old-world charm. A lot of reviewers are complaining about its run-down decor but to be perfectly honest, we are amid tropical mangrove and such setting simply enhances the languid nature of the environment that we are in. The bed was firm and comfortable (Westerners would opt for softer bed naturally) and there were plenty of chaise lounge and settees in the room but to be truthful, I would rather lay down on the floor with the rattan carpet. The bathroom floor was of the exposed aggregate concrete and thus, low maintenance. There was safe, fridge, shelving for luggage tucked at the rear (discreet). All the amenities were provided (and some). Furthermore, there was air-con, wi-fi (inclusive). The downside of the bathroom would be its press-to-use tap as if I was in a public bathroom. The chalets were meandering throughout the resort and everyone was given their own space to do whatever that took their fancy. I would come here again for its staff and its pristine natural environment. It may not be the best as Banyan Tree but this would make do for me now. Booking with Singaporean travel agent would be a wiser option to book for cheaper room. Commendable stay.

Room Tip: Ask for what you look for: quietness or convenience. The staff is there to help
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Amazing location. Pricey for the quality of the accommodation. Needs renovation. But I am a sucker for a night or two away on a tropical island with powdery white sand and clear blue water, and will no doubt fall for it again

Room Tip: Go for a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is my second visit to this resort with my last visit in 2009. First impression of this place is that nothing much has changed, except for the relocation of the Spice Restaurant from the beach to the main building. Previous stay was at Dolphin which was a chalet that is sea facing. Decided to try out garden view chalets this time round and got black ant, which was situated in between the sea facing chalets and the road. Checking in was relatively smooth though slow, took around over 10 minutes to get the process done. This is probably because there were a couple of other guests in front of me in the line, nothing to complain about. Upon stepping into the chalet, realized that room wise, nothing has changed over the past 3 years; tiny CRT, rickety bed, broken furniture, etc. Floor was extremely dusty. Minimum bathroom amenities were provided, no floor mat and hand towels. I had to inform reception on these while I popped by Spice Restaurant for lunch. Pleasantly, the room was swept and mopped when I returned after 2 hours, and floor mat added. However, floor still feels dusty and sandy, probably because the sand left by previously occupants were wedged between the grooves on the flooring. Base for the fridge was broken but doesn’t really affect me in any way. After a while, I’d received a call from reception that the resort will be giving me a birthday cake, since my stay coincides with my birthday, which was a pleasant surprise. The beach was relatively pristine, calm and shallow waters. However, the negative point is that the beach hut closes at 5:30pm which was like duh, the sun is still up! Dinner at Kelong was surprising good, took a set dinner for two at SGD98++ which consist of crab, prawn, poultry, sharks fin, etc. I was originally planning to take the resort’s shuttle to the restaurant but the person did not announce the bus has arrived and went without us. Instead, the resort called in their buggy driver to send us to the restaurant which was 5 minutes away, another pleasant surprise. Return trip from restaurant to resort was horrendous; spent 45 minutes riding and waiting to get back to Mayang Sari when its only a 10 to 15 minutes walk. The bus from Kelong goes back to main resort lobby and from there, another 15 minutes wait for the next bus to come along and pick us up back to the resort. In all, I echo what the others have mentioned about this resort; facilities are close to run down and cleanliness is an issue, but besides these, the environment and the staff certainly make up for these shortcomings. Besides these, the rest of the stay at Mayang Sari was quite pleasant and I’ll look forward to my next stay at this resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!