“An expensive joke.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort to your Saves list
Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Panglima Pantar | Bintan Resorts, Bintan Island, Lagoi, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 hotels in Lagoi
“An expensive joke.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We paid 340 sing $ a night for two nights. In return we provided with accomadation that had last been upgraded, it would seem in the '80s. Paint peeling from the woodwork, bathrooms that make you shudder at the prospect of using them, cockroach central. All the elecetrical appliances have two pin plugs that are jammed into three pin sockets by electricians using a screwdriver. Staff who politely laugh when you point all this out to them.

A pity since the one attribute that is untouched by the management, the beach and the surrounding sea are first class, and the people runing the place are in general friendly aqnd try quite hard. Nevertheless the sucking sound you hear is the sound of your money being syphoned away into the pockets of resort owners who could care less about value for money. Shame...

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Very disappointed with the accommodation. We paid £120 a night to stay here for 2 nights. Beach huts were incredibly basic, almost hostel like. They had stains on the walls and floors. Ours was home to lots of insects too. It seemed as though we had an ant colony in our bathroom.
The beach view (if you have a beach front hut) is lovely. The resort itself is nice especially the hotel pool. I wish we had stayed in the hotel but didn't want to be surrounded by kids. The best thing we did was visit the island proper and meet locals and eat their inexpensive food. Money can be changed much cheaper in the towns than the resort.
If I was to visit again I'd stay at Banyan Tree or Nikoi Island. If you can tolerate children then stay in the resort hotel here. Just give Mayang Sari a wide bearth. Service was good but they forgot our towels too and we had to wait a few hours before getting them.
I will try and upload some photos.

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

I booked Mayang Sari because I had already been to Bintan Lagoon Resort and Nirwana Gardens resort and was tired of being surrounded by crowds all the time. Mayang Sari gave me the holiday that I was looking for, laid back and carefree. The beach is one of the best things about the resort. The waters are clear and shallow and you can simply sit in the water with the waves lapping up to your shoulders and kick back to relax. I didn't have to snorkel to see fishes either. If you are looking for sea sports, there is a small sea sports centre that offers jet skis, banana boat rides, wind surfing, body boogie boards, kayaking and more.

Rentals are expensive though. The cost is perhaps the greatest drawback of this place. For the price of the room (which included breakfast), I would rate this as expensive. The entire hotel is in need of upgrading and a fresh coat of paint. While the room is very spacious, the pillows were lumpy and gave me a serious back ache and the bath tub had a large crack at the bottom. The breakfast buffet is nothing to shout about although the both times I had lunch at the Spice Restaurant, the food was great and service warm and friendly. The food is generally not cheap because of the high service charge plus taxes so if you want to drink alcohol, it's better to bring your own. We took a shuttle bus to the nearby Kelong Seafood Restaurant one night and enjoyed a wonderful dinner of crab and squid, albeit at rather steep prices after taxes.

Service was uneven at Mayang Sari. I went to the front desk to ask for extra pillows and told them to deliver them 'later'. When I returned to the room much later, the pillows were still not delivered. But when we called, they arrived promptly within minutes. The towel station is often unmanned and they do not open at the stipulated time. On the first day we were asked to sign out for our towels, but on all subsequent ocassions, that was done away with. Deck chairs were few and really hard to come by. We had to drag our own chairs when we found them, to our preferred spots and even when staff saw us (two girls) dragging them, no one offered to help. There are no beach umbrellas and really minimal shade at the beach and when the sun is out, it can be scorching.

All these were to me, just little hiccups. They did not ruin my holiday and I intend to return to Mayang Sari, just for the beach. Hopefully when I do return, the hotel would have been refurbished!

Room Tip: The garden chalets are really still very near the beach. They are cheaper too, so I don't think...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Basically for the price of a four star hotel you get a shack on the beach. The beach is beautiful and the food is ok, but the rooms are very old and tired. I felt like a kid at summer camp. Do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Take a wonderful setting and a nice idea and you have the cake everybody will dream of for a romantic or family getaway...
Now add jellyfish in the sea and petrol wastes on the beach!
It's a nightmare!
Really too bad... Everything is spoiled...

• Stayed November 2011
Sentosa Island, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

This hotel ruined my 2 night getaway to Bintan. Please do yourself a big favor and avoid this hotel. You can stay at the cheaper Nirwana Resort and visit this beach or better still stay at Angsana (which is right next door), where they really care about the guests and the service is impeccable. Here is a list of things that went wrong and tips for your stay:

1. Do not accept the Sea Horse chalets. They claim that this is a sea facing chalet and charge you the extra, but these Chalets are actually further from the beach that most of the garden chalets, which are cheaper. Also these chalets were particularly run down - cockroaches in the bathroom, door wouldn't lock. My wife was terrified because of the cockroaches which seem to roam freely in and out of the room and it ruined her stay.

2. No towels! The #1 amenity that should be provided in a beach resort are towels. When we checked in at 1pm (yes they were nice enough to let us check-in at 1pm) there were no towels in the room. So I called reception. They said all the towels were in the laundry and they would send us towels in an hour. So we waited, went to the beach, came back, took a nap and at 7pm, there were still no towels. So I called reception again. They said they would bring towels in 10 mins. No towels for 30 mins. When I called again, the receptionist said that the Housekeeping staff were having dinner and I should wait till they finish! I had to go personally to the reception to get the towels, after refusing to leave without the towels.

3. The food at the Spice restaurant was the saving grace. It was so obvious that the F&B staff were much better trained than the other staff. The Indian and Western a la carte selection was great. The breakfast buffet was a big let down.

4. The worst part was when we checked out. Like they say, the first and last impression in a hotel are the most important and my last impression was terrible! The shuttle service to the ferry terminal was to arrive at 7pm for the 8:15 shuttle. No bus till 7:20pm. Then the bus finally comes and when we arrived at the ferry terminal, the staff riding the shuttle with us asked us to collect the ticket from the counter. When we went to the counter, the Bintan Resort ticketing staff told us that the hotel had already collected the tickets! Nobody gave us our tickets at the reception when we checked out. So again my wife and her friends started panicking. The Nirwana Garden staff at the ferry terminal finally got someone to bring our tickets from the hotel on a motorcycle and we just about made it to the ferry.

5. All the chalets are very old and run down. The doors are broken, the toilet is horribly dirty and stained. The beach loungers are broken and have mold on them. The TV in the room is soooo small.

All this for a rather expensive price. I think the hotel management should look to make some serious changes fast - renovate some of the chalets, buy new beach furniture, fire some of the receptionists. Overall I was extremely disappointed and I have every intention of letting all my friends and family know that they should stay away from this resort. Also I am still waiting on the General Manager to get back to me about my complaints, which he hasn't till date.

Room Tip: Don't accept Sea Horse Chalets!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were supposed to be at Nirwana Gardens Hotel but don't know why last minute, we were told to stay at this chalet and they called it 5 star????? No, we would give maybe 3 star only.
Hotel staff were friendly but chalet quite run down, nothing much around and breakfast not so good as well. Besides seasports, nothing else. The central we went for bowling etc sucks too as nothing much there. However the massage was ok but all wanted SDG. Don't go during July, weather was terrible, hot, if not, rained non stop, so did not manage to complete the activities day pass. Reservation staff not flexible, no extension time for check out is allowed even heavy rain :((( Will not stay in this chalet anymore and all food are overpriced. One can of coke cost S$3.60 - crazy !!! So if anyone going to Bintan, please bring own food, not worth to spend that kind of money there. Oh yes, put on your slippers inside the chalet because could find some ants around !!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort? Share your experiences!