I booked Mayang Sari because I had already been to Bintan Lagoon Resort and Nirwana Gardens resort and was tired of being surrounded by crowds all the time. Mayang Sari gave me the holiday that I was looking for, laid back and carefree. The beach is one of the best things about the resort. The waters are clear and shallow and you can simply sit in the water with the waves lapping up to your shoulders and kick back to relax. I didn't have to snorkel to see fishes either. If you are looking for sea sports, there is a small sea sports centre that offers jet skis, banana boat rides, wind surfing, body boogie boards, kayaking and more.
Rentals are expensive though. The cost is perhaps the greatest drawback of this place. For the price of the room (which included breakfast), I would rate this as expensive. The entire hotel is in need of upgrading and a fresh coat of paint. While the room is very spacious, the pillows were lumpy and gave me a serious back ache and the bath tub had a large crack at the bottom. The breakfast buffet is nothing to shout about although the both times I had lunch at the Spice Restaurant, the food was great and service warm and friendly. The food is generally not cheap because of the high service charge plus taxes so if you want to drink alcohol, it's better to bring your own. We took a shuttle bus to the nearby Kelong Seafood Restaurant one night and enjoyed a wonderful dinner of crab and squid, albeit at rather steep prices after taxes.
Service was uneven at Mayang Sari. I went to the front desk to ask for extra pillows and told them to deliver them 'later'. When I returned to the room much later, the pillows were still not delivered. But when we called, they arrived promptly within minutes. The towel station is often unmanned and they do not open at the stipulated time. On the first day we were asked to sign out for our towels, but on all subsequent ocassions, that was done away with. Deck chairs were few and really hard to come by. We had to drag our own chairs when we found them, to our preferred spots and even when staff saw us (two girls) dragging them, no one offered to help. There are no beach umbrellas and really minimal shade at the beach and when the sun is out, it can be scorching.
All these were to me, just little hiccups. They did not ruin my holiday and I intend to return to Mayang Sari, just for the beach. Hopefully when I do return, the hotel would have been refurbished!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rustic Beachfront Chalets. With a name that alludes to the fragrance and essence of natural beauty, the quiet and rustic charms will take your breath away. The ambiance is delightfully soothing, set against a calm and picturesque bay of crystal clear waters and silky sand beach. A tranquil haven for those seeking refuge from the city...50 thatched-roof chalets in blocks of 4, all with private veranda offering a choice of sea or garden view. All chalets feature village-style architecture, with a unique decor and aromatic theme. For guests’ comfort, the air-conditioned chalets are equipped with modern amenities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Agoda, Priceline, AsiaRooms, BookingOdigeoWL, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Cheap Tickets and Venere so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwan Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Lagoi
- Mayang Sari Beach Bintan
- Mayang Sari Beach Hotel Bintan
- Nirwana Gardens - Mayang Sari Beach Resort Bintan Island/Lagoi