“Worst accommodation. Do not stay here.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club

You added Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club to your Saves list
Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club
3.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   Jalan Panglima Pantar | Bintan Resorts, Bintan Island, Lagoi, Riau Islands Province 29155, Indonesia   |
Singapore
“Worst accommodation. Do not stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Wanted to book nirwana resort hotel but unfortunately it was fully booked. Saw many negative reviews online before we went to nirwana beach club so we didnt had too high expectations to avoid disappontment. To my dismay, it was far below my already low expectations. Every single part of the room was old, worned out and dirty. And the best part - walls full of lizard poops. Definitely not a place for a normal human being to stay in. What's worse was, one of the rooms smelt like sewage. No phone in the room so I had to stomped to the reception. Wanted to upgrade nirwana resort hotel so badly but there were no rooms available. So no choice had to request for a change of room. Not any better even in the newly given rooms. No phone, no kettle, no hair dryer, to sum it up, NO COMFORT. Didnt sleep well at all. Oh by the way there were 6 of us, so 3 pax each room. We paid for an extra bed. But guess what? The 'extra bed' is actually a couch which is initially in the room. So basically we paid for the breakfast buffet and not the bed. Free wifi was useless because connection was slow or none. Didnt sleep well at all because of the weird noises coming from outside. Didnt felt like I was on a holiday. Rather I felt like I was in a torture camp.

The only good thing is that the terrible conditions actually force you to spend time outside. The beaches were clean and beautiful. Water sports were great also. Elephant rides and shows at the resort centre were fun. Food was good for value although it's expensive. Service was efficient and good. Credits to the staff who came to return my friend's shades after we checked out. Everything was great except this accommodation. Nirwana resort hotel is 100000 times better.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is by far one of the less nice places I've stayed, but it wasn't as terrible as other reviewers make it out to be. There are a few positives, so I will list both below from my experience. We stayed 6 nights, which is abnormal for this resort.

Pros:
-The room is very large
-The staff are very kind and helpful. If we asked for something, it came to our room within 15 min (ie toilet paper - i was sick and going through it quickly blowing my nose; extra pillows)
-Breakfast was varied and delicious. It was a large spread where anybody could find anything to suit their particular diet.
-The staff at breakfast were very kind to refill our drinking bottles with drinkable water so we didn't have to continue to buy the insanely expensive water there.
-The food we ate was delicious and some items were slightly overpriced (like the Thai restaurant), but honestly the food cost was not that terrible.
-Our room was sufficiently clean and we LOVE lizards so having the monitors around outside and the little geckos sometimes inside made our stay fantastic. Fortunately for those scared of lizards..... they are even more scared of you, so don't worry. They'll run away if you get too close!
-The beaches are gorgeous, so are the grounds, and the pool at Nirwana Gardens is beautifully kept. We were able to find loungers in the shade every afternoon, so we had no complaints!
-The mini zoo is between the Nirwana Beach Club and Nirwana Gardens and it's fantastic. It was quite a nice surprise for us to find. There are only a handful of animals, but they're great animals and it's one thing you can do at this resort for free!

Cons:
-1.5 liters of water is S$5!!!!!!!! Absolutely absurd. The only way to get cheaper water is to buy it at the little market inside the main Nirwana Gardens hotel, but even then it was S$3. We were fortunate to discover the trick of having our 4 bottles refilled at breakfast daily so we didn't become dehydrated and saved S$12-20 daily by doing so.
-Obviously anything not water was even more ridiculously priced. Small cocktails were S$10 or more.
-Everything was priced high and then you got the nice added surprise of 20% tax on top of the already high prices.
-The bed was TERRIBLE. I've never experienced such a terrible bed. It was so bad that my fiance wound up sleeping on the couch because every single tiny move you made, your partner could feel.
-The rooms are extremely dated and we only turned on the TV one night because the reception really is terrible and the selection poor. We were also shocked there wasn't a remote for the TV, and we're lazy to get up and channel surf. :)
-The internet was very spotty and would sometimes be down for an hour or two. Very unreliable.
-The a/c unit isn't powerful enough to combat the afternoon heat, but on the plus side it would force us to leave the room and go for a dip in the pool. :)
-The walls are extremely thin and a lot of people only visit this resort for a night so they were yelling late at night and early in the morning which would wake us up and caused me to lose quite a bit of sleep. If you luck out with decent neighbors or none at all (each hut has 2 rooms), it's very quiet and peaceful.

Overall, I think there are much better places you can visit in the world, but if you're looking for a quick getaway from Singapore this place will do. :) I don't believe this resort is the only one that will overly inflate prices on Bintan. My guess is that all of them do that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the beach cababas they are old , dirty, tired. They have no tea & coffee making facilities, I requested a kettle and only after being asked to be moved to different accomodation they decided to provide me with a kettle but they wouldn't provide cups and said we had to use the glasses in the unit. The bathroom is disgraceful the water pressure was so bad I could hardly wash my hair.The blinds were falling off the windows. The TV is from the ark and as for advertising that you get all these channels including satellite, we could only bearly get 1 very grainy grey channel. Everything about these units is old except the price. All the prices at the resort are $Singapore dollars everything is expensive a Bintang beer is $S9.00. It needs a really big makeover!!

Room Tip: I want to return next year to compete in the Metaman so hopefully the other accomodation is of a bet...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Lagoi hotels

Navi Mumbai, India
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The pictures shown of this beach cabanas are totally misleading. From inside the rooms are terrible, dirty and poorly illuminated and without mirror. The amenities like fridge looks as if its an antique pieces of 19Th century, totally worn out and dirty. The rooms don't have tags like "DO NOT DISTURB". The house keeping staff arrived at our door at 7:00 AM. Imagine you suddenly feel that you are not on a holiday. We requested them to come around 12:00PM. Instead they came at 03:00PM, when we were taking our afternoon nap. So we requested them to come in the evening at 5:00 PM. Then they didn't arrive at all and again they came next day early in the morning. It was simply disgusting....
People who are scared of lizards I strongly recommend to refrain from going to this place. I had the worst vacation of my lifetime. I saw 3 monitor lizards (5-6 feet long) outside my room. It makes you feel as if you are transported to the dinosaur era, where you would feel that your life is threatened. I just wanted to go out of that place asap.....These lizards also swim along with the other people in the public swimming people... Just Imagine!!!!!!
There many other beautiful places in the world to visit except this one....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed nirwana beach club hut...My kit wad enjoyed lot. Have Very clean beach...we can use nirwana hotel swimming pool and other properties. ..we like very much in swimming pool location... we can rental a battery operated car for inside nirwana hotel trips...Shuttle bus service also available inbetween hotels. Elephant rides also available. Indian food very very expensive. ..better to bring own stuff...

• Stayed September 2012
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

What a great place to explore! Natural surroundings carefully maintained. As a family we took this opportunity to try out activities such as archery and air rifle shooting - good instruction from the activities team based here. We had so much fun! Friendly staff - especially good housekeeping from Ray:)

A few nuisances like

- the breakfast feeding frenzy around 8.30am ( go early or after 9.30!).

- intermittent wifi and slow download but then again this is a good excuse to put down the pesky electronics and get down to the sandy beach instead! Or drink a cocktail at the pool bar. Or hire a bike/ golf buggy/ ride a horse or elephant...yes - this is a Resort with much on offer and my final word goes to thank the super friendly kids club team for occupying my youngest child so I could enjoy some of these fun activities. Will be back soon:)

• Stayed August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I have seen many place and stayed many hotel but surely i can say that Nirwana Beach club such bloody place i never stayed and it is bloody expensive .. and the stay not worth... wifi is there but web page will not load :(.. even they never arrange glass in side the room for drinking water... i never recommend anybody to stay there....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club? Share your experiences!