This is by far one of the less nice places I've stayed, but it wasn't as terrible as other reviewers make it out to be. There are a few positives, so I will list both below from my experience. We stayed 6 nights, which is abnormal for this resort.
-The room is very large
-The staff are very kind and helpful. If we asked for something, it came to our room within 15 min (ie toilet paper - i was sick and going through it quickly blowing my nose; extra pillows)
-Breakfast was varied and delicious. It was a large spread where anybody could find anything to suit their particular diet.
-The staff at breakfast were very kind to refill our drinking bottles with drinkable water so we didn't have to continue to buy the insanely expensive water there.
-The food we ate was delicious and some items were slightly overpriced (like the Thai restaurant), but honestly the food cost was not that terrible.
-Our room was sufficiently clean and we LOVE lizards so having the monitors around outside and the little geckos sometimes inside made our stay fantastic. Fortunately for those scared of lizards..... they are even more scared of you, so don't worry. They'll run away if you get too close!
-The beaches are gorgeous, so are the grounds, and the pool at Nirwana Gardens is beautifully kept. We were able to find loungers in the shade every afternoon, so we had no complaints!
-The mini zoo is between the Nirwana Beach Club and Nirwana Gardens and it's fantastic. It was quite a nice surprise for us to find. There are only a handful of animals, but they're great animals and it's one thing you can do at this resort for free!
-1.5 liters of water is S$5!!!!!!!! Absolutely absurd. The only way to get cheaper water is to buy it at the little market inside the main Nirwana Gardens hotel, but even then it was S$3. We were fortunate to discover the trick of having our 4 bottles refilled at breakfast daily so we didn't become dehydrated and saved S$12-20 daily by doing so.
-Obviously anything not water was even more ridiculously priced. Small cocktails were S$10 or more.
-Everything was priced high and then you got the nice added surprise of 20% tax on top of the already high prices.
-The bed was TERRIBLE. I've never experienced such a terrible bed. It was so bad that my fiance wound up sleeping on the couch because every single tiny move you made, your partner could feel.
-The rooms are extremely dated and we only turned on the TV one night because the reception really is terrible and the selection poor. We were also shocked there wasn't a remote for the TV, and we're lazy to get up and channel surf. :)
-The internet was very spotty and would sometimes be down for an hour or two. Very unreliable.
-The a/c unit isn't powerful enough to combat the afternoon heat, but on the plus side it would force us to leave the room and go for a dip in the pool. :)
-The walls are extremely thin and a lot of people only visit this resort for a night so they were yelling late at night and early in the morning which would wake us up and caused me to lose quite a bit of sleep. If you luck out with decent neighbors or none at all (each hut has 2 rooms), it's very quiet and peaceful.
Overall, I think there are much better places you can visit in the world, but if you're looking for a quick getaway from Singapore this place will do. :) I don't believe this resort is the only one that will overly inflate prices on Bintan. My guess is that all of them do that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on the water's edge of Indonesia's Bintan island, Nirwana Beach Club welcomes you to the ultimate rustic beachfront hideaway. Indulge in a variety of water sports, nature and the timeless traditions of a village-style living. Feel your spirits lifted amidst the spacious thatched-roof chalets, sunny beaches and a blue ocean, savouring relaxation and a boundless choice of tropical activities. Guestrooms at Nirwana Beach Club come with modern Thai interiors and wooden flooring. Each well-appointed room is equipped with a refrigerator and TV. Hot shower facilities are in the private bathroom. *Nirwana Beach Club guests have access to all facilities and restaurants within Nirwana Gardens ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Fastbooking, Orbitz, Odigeo, HostelWorld, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Agoda and Ctrip TA so you can book your Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club Hotel Lagoi
- Nirwana Beach Hotel
- Nirwana Beach Club
- Nirwana Beach Lagoi
- Nirwana Gardens - Nirwana Beach Club Bintan Island/Lagoi