If you are looking for a simple, clean hotel in the Dolomites with very friendly service, then I strongly recommend Hotel Aurora. It is also a great location if you have come for hiking in the Dolomites. There are two lifts within an easy (less than 15 minute) walk and there are also local bus stops close by. Those lifts, which I highly recommend you use, will get you up to great spots from which you can undertake a variety of hikes. The owners of the hotel, Terry and Ugo, gave us great advice every evening or morning on what our next hike should be and they can supply you with a decent map. Terry also gave us great advice on buying a discount pass for the lifts and local bus service and supplied us with the bus schedule. Good maps are also available at the local TIs or at rifugios along the hiking trails, and I recommend you get one (but the one from Hotel Aurora was sufficient). The rooms and beds are simple, so some people might want a higher level of luxury, but I thought it was just fine for a retreat in a European mountain village. The bathroom and shower were new and everything works just fine. Also had a tiny balcony with a place to dry clothes. We took the halfboard arrangement, which supplies breakfast and dinner every day. I thought that was the smart choice. After a tough day on the hiking trails, going out to find a restaurant was not very appealing. The meals give you plenty to eat and the food was pretty good -- I'm a pretty tough food critic and I would say the dishes ranged from mediocre to excellent and generally pretty good. The food was especially good on their special Ladin dinner, which they do once a week. (For you foodies/hikers or bikers out there, the best I had was at Rifugio Frederich August which is near where the Campitello lift lets you out -- time it to have lunch there). Also, the servers in the hotel dining room are very nice and the owners of the hotel will come and chat with you during the mealtimes -- very nice and welcoming. They have parking right there at the hotel although I think I used the car only once or twice during five days there because of the nearby lifts and bus pass.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Aurora is located in the heart of the Dolomites and is a perfect location for winter and summer sports and outdoor activities. We provide a family atmosphere with warm and friendly staff, excellent food and rooms with all necessary comforts. Small but cozy wellness with steambath and sauna. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline and Odigeo so you can book your Hotel Aurora reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Aurora Alba Di Canazei
- Hotel Aurora Canazei, Italy - Alba Di Canazei