“Bad and expensive: the ultimate no-go accommodation. Very disappointing!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Heiden

You added Hotel Heiden to your Saves list
Hotel Heiden
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Seeallee 8, Heiden 9410, Switzerland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Heiden
Zurich, Switzerland
“Bad and expensive: the ultimate no-go accommodation. Very disappointing!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stayed there for one night at the occasion of a good friend's wedding in a nearby top notch restaurant. First of all, you cannot drive up to the front desk because of some local market (they did not notably not think of raising their voice so that guests would be allowed to do so). This is totally unacceptable. My wife and I, already dressed in exclusive evening-gown, had to walk past the crowd. That is THE absolute no-go. Room: small, too hot, no A/C (and it was not summer). Curtains that do not blind. TV from the 1970s, two small beds, Phone wake-up call system that does not work. Noisy building. Staff starts to move furnitrue at 9am and start knocking on your door before 10am (ridiculous given check-out is 11am). Bathroom amenities below standard and no decent possibility to hang a evening dress and a smoking.So what would you expect to pay for this? Probalby CHF 100 for the room? No, no. You pay CHF 153.00 per Person for the room. I can go anywhere in this world, including places like Moscow or Tokyo, and get 5-star accommodation for a good discounted rate for this. Now comes the best part: they had an agreement with the restaurant where the wedding party was and, consequentially, gave us 10 francs discount. Honestly, such a tiny discount is an offense rather than a good rate. I am - as a swiss citizen - deeply disappointed that our country still has these kind of players in the tourism industry. I am sorry and feel I have to apologize for such pricing. It is outrageous and not acceptable. With such hotels, I have no more optimism for our tourism industry. Notably, their complaining is also constant but I would strongly suggest revisiting the business and pricing model together with an adequate international product benchmark might help. The fact that people compare today might not interest them either. Maybe one day, when all these places are out of business, things will change. My advise to the dear reader of this review: stay away from this place. If it is full, take a taxi to St. Gallen. Might cost nearly the same but I don't think you'll be getting worse accommodation anyhwere else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
hotel-heiden1, Manager at Hotel Heiden, responded to this review, May 26, 2012
Dear Mr. and Mrs. RHW,

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of the shortcomings you experienced. We are very sorry that you were dissatisfied with significant aspects of your stay and sincerely apologise for this. Since we constantly strive to improve our quality, we are grateful for your feedback. We assure you that we have already implemented verifiable measures in response to your criticisms.

In terms of problems you experienced gaining acces to the hotel on the Saturday, we knew that the long-established annual market would be taking place on the acces road. We therefore informed you by e-mail 3 days before your arrival that you would only be able to acces the hotel on foot. However, I fully appreciate that this was not an agreeable experience in an evening gown.

I should like once more to express my apologies. Thanks not least to your criticisms and the measures we have implemented in response to these, we shall continue to be successful in and on the market.

Yours sincerely,
Caspar Lips, Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Heiden is an Appenzeller hill town which was rebuilt in the Biedermeier style after the fire of 1838. Its white walls and red roofs seen against the Lake below are uniquely beautiful. The hotel's restaurant, lounge and northfacing rooms all have a panoramic view of a 25 mile stretch of this lake through windows that are always clean; the German 'Riviera' towns can be seen on the other side. The leafy terrace cafe is very popular especially when the cool pure evening air for which Heiden is famous takes over from summer heat. The staff are mainly Swiss, welltrained, effective and friendly; key staff speak English. The restaurants have a GaultMillau rating of 13, the half board menu changes every day. The spa facilities are modern and comprehensive; the 'thunder and lightning' shower is an amazing experience. St Gallen with its high quality fashion shops is halfanhour away on mountain roads by PostAuto: modern doubledeckers, four per hour, highly recommended: you don't have to drive or park and watching the scenery and the roads from the upper deck is very interesting...With the variety of walks in the hills around and the support from the transport system and backup from the hotel (even a free computer terminal in the lounge for Test Match scores), it is a great place to recharge your batteries. And when I compared the bill with the one I received from a similar English hotel in the countryside near a lake, I found that the Swiss bill is one third cheaper even with the Swiss franc at 1.60 to the £.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sunfish Lake, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

This is a wellness hotel, and therefore has unusual features such as crutch holders adjacent to most tables. Lots of people getting around on crutches. They have daily exercise programs posted in the elevator. Clearly skews old. I suspect that there is a mineral bath somewhere around, although I didn't see it myself. That said, it has exceptional views of Lake Constance (German: Bondensee) from the rooms on that side of the hotel. There is no train service there, but they do have a trolley stop within 150 meters that ends up at a train station. As for the hotel, it's pretty rudimentary. No air conditioning, which is not surprising but nevertheless was a bother on the stifling hot days we were there. I didn't pay myself as I was a guest of my hosts, but I got the feeling it was pricey. In-room TV's but while there is no in-room internet, there is a computer with internet connection in the lobby. In short, not exceptionally good, but not bad either.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Heiden? Share your experiences!