“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tornese

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tornese to your Saves list
Hotel Tornese
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Galliano, 36, 57023 Marina di Cecina, Cecina, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Burntwood
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Excellent hotel, rooms very good and comfortable. Staff very friendly, only too willing to help. Very clean, comfortable beds, restraunt very good. Location very close to the sea. Good cafe/bars close by small assortment of shops. Beach within walking distance although there is a charge. Public beach very good at San Vincenzo.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mere, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hotel Tornese is an excellent hotel for every kind of people: family with kids, older couples, ... I allready visited it tree times and I always have a nice stay over there.
I'm always very happy about service, hotel room and most of all the lovely dinner in the evening! Every day I look forward to the menu in the restaurant with it's great view over the coast, and every evening I'm amazed about the fine menu! The food is absolutely fantastic!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

During our Rome-Firenze-Cecina-Rome trip we picked Tornese as our hotel in Cecina, Tuscany.

The breakfast is worse than at comparable hotels in Rome and Florence. The dinner is better, but the best are small local family restaurants on the second line of the streets in Marina di Cecina.

A/c is adjusted only by calling the reception or opening windows/main door. Never seen a system like this before. Basicly all the furniture is far from the past century, the bathroom is ok. Moreover we were moved to another room later where the A/C didn't operate well and was working even when it's off. So for the A/C to stop you have to keep windows open, which is a nightmare because the place is very crowded at night and there are small cafe with child amusement rides adjacent to the hotel.

Also booking in advance (6 monthes ahead) may not work for you as my arrangement for a top-floor seaview room with balcony turned out to be a forest view room with no balcony. The "mistake" was aknowledged and they offered a free dinner for one night but that's hardly an equilizer for not being able to dry beach towels and enjoy the view and the sun in the morning. Be it a mistake or not, as I've seen many cases when arrangements over email were changed in favor of a more valuable client.

One more disturbing thing is that whenever I need some little thing at the reception, there is always a lovely chit-chat about weather, life, etc with somebody for 10 min at least.

Upon the checkout I was given an invoice with a Chianti wine in it, which I didn't have. Apparently errors are seemed to be a common sense there.

An ok hotel but I'd rather use another place to stay next time.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

the room is 'adequate' for an overnight. but at 5;9" i barely fit in the bed and my husband had to hang off the bed, b.t.w. the beds were in two different rooms. it was like a small cabin on a cruise ship.

Room Tip: look at the room before you commit
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My nine year old sons and I have just spent the past two nights at Hotel Tornese, Marina di Cecina, Italy. Unless you want your visit to a perfectly charming, Tuscan coastline village ruined by your hotel stay, DO NOT BOOK INTO THIS HOTEL!
When we arrived to check in, there were two ladies at the front desk, deeply engrossed in personal conversation. After I stood in front of them for at least five minutes, they turned their attention to me with a shared look as if I had just drowned their puppy. That should have been my warning. They were brusque and totally devoid of smiles, greetings, pleases or welcomes. I speak Italian, but that did not gain me any favors. During our two night stay, I dealt with six members of the staff. There was not a smile to be had amongst them.
After that experience, we found our room. It could not have been more unlike the photos on the hotel's website. Every photo on their site shows clean, modern rooms, most with balconies overlooking the sea. We had a tiny, dingy room with an obstructed view of the parking lot. Their website is completely deceiving. From the outside of the building, there could only be two out of the forty-two rooms that might resemble the photos. There was scarcely room to walk around the beds in our "deluxe triple". The bathroom was old, moldy and the shower rod fell down each time we used it. I asked to be moved to a room that somewhat resembled their website and they told me they were fully-booked.
But I have yet to mention the real problems! We chose this hotel because of the sea views (not available), the free internet in the rooms and the air conditioning (and because it is rated #1 in Cecina on TripAdvisor--come on gang, let's be a bit more discriminating!).
The internet did not work at all the first day. I telephoned the front desk several times and made as many visits. The rude staff simply stated that I did not know what I am doing.......Finally, 24 hours into our stay, the manager informed me that the hotel's password had been changed and that I had been given the wrong one. No apologies. Even then, the WiFi connection dropped out every five minutes or so......
Then, there is the LACK of air conditioning. Our room was so hot the first night, not one of us could sleep. The next morning, as we headed out for the day, I pleaded for a technician to check our room's air conditioner (individual units but controlled at the front desk). When we returned to the room on our second afternoon, it was still sweltering. With another trip to the front desk, I convinced the manager to come with me to the room. He entered and pronounced that the room was perfectly normal and was no more than 21 degrees centigrade. He then said he would send his technician with a thermometer to prove me wrong! Charming. The technician arrived about an hour later and the thermometer showed 30 degrees. The technician dragged in a ladder and proceeded to dismantle the unit. He was a "guest" in our room for the next two hours with no regard for the inconvenience to us. My sons missed their much needed nap and we all missed our dinner reservation (I wasn't going to leave this man alone in our room).
This morning, we were anxious to check out. I remarked to the unsmiling lady that the technician had imposed upon us for two hours but did fix the air conditioning, proving that we were without air conditioning the first night. She declared that this was simply "impossible" and dismissed me completely. I then pointed out the problems with the internet and even the electronic gate to the paid parking. The manager joined her at this point to argue with me some more!!
I paid for the stay that defined "miserable" and vowed that I would warn fellow travelers against this unpleasant, unprofessional, third-rate hotel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Niccostates, Proprietario at Hotel Tornese, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Good evening and thank you for the time spent for the review.

How you can see we do not respond to reviews because every customers has the right to express his disappointment.

I will be much "shorter" than you:

A guest who booked a double room and comes in hotel with 3 children in high season I don't think that needs some answers.

Next time take care of your family, not of your money.

Regards

Niccolò D'andrea
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

A group of us stayed here on a cycling trip in May. The staff were helpful and the room clean and convenient. We spent the morning setting up our bikes in their carpark and they were very hospitable and tolerated people running in and out of the hotel all moring to wash theri hands. The breakfast was one of the best I had in Italy with excellent pastries. I left my jacket in the cupboard and the staff found it and posted it to me in the UK for no charge. This is quality service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Incredible location in frot of the mediterranean sea. Employees always polite. Complete and tasty breakfast. Very recommendable

• Stayed June 2012

Been to Hotel Tornese? Share your experiences!