“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tornese

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tornese to your Saves list
Hotel Tornese
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Viale Galliano, 36, 57023 Marina di Cecina, Cecina, Italy   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My nine year old sons and I have just spent the past two nights at Hotel Tornese, Marina di Cecina, Italy. Unless you want your visit to a perfectly charming, Tuscan coastline village ruined by your hotel stay, DO NOT BOOK INTO THIS HOTEL!
When we arrived to check in, there were two ladies at the front desk, deeply engrossed in personal conversation. After I stood in front of them for at least five minutes, they turned their attention to me with a shared look as if I had just drowned their puppy. That should have been my warning. They were brusque and totally devoid of smiles, greetings, pleases or welcomes. I speak Italian, but that did not gain me any favors. During our two night stay, I dealt with six members of the staff. There was not a smile to be had amongst them.
After that experience, we found our room. It could not have been more unlike the photos on the hotel's website. Every photo on their site shows clean, modern rooms, most with balconies overlooking the sea. We had a tiny, dingy room with an obstructed view of the parking lot. Their website is completely deceiving. From the outside of the building, there could only be two out of the forty-two rooms that might resemble the photos. There was scarcely room to walk around the beds in our "deluxe triple". The bathroom was old, moldy and the shower rod fell down each time we used it. I asked to be moved to a room that somewhat resembled their website and they told me they were fully-booked.
But I have yet to mention the real problems! We chose this hotel because of the sea views (not available), the free internet in the rooms and the air conditioning (and because it is rated #1 in Cecina on TripAdvisor--come on gang, let's be a bit more discriminating!).
The internet did not work at all the first day. I telephoned the front desk several times and made as many visits. The rude staff simply stated that I did not know what I am doing.......Finally, 24 hours into our stay, the manager informed me that the hotel's password had been changed and that I had been given the wrong one. No apologies. Even then, the WiFi connection dropped out every five minutes or so......
Then, there is the LACK of air conditioning. Our room was so hot the first night, not one of us could sleep. The next morning, as we headed out for the day, I pleaded for a technician to check our room's air conditioner (individual units but controlled at the front desk). When we returned to the room on our second afternoon, it was still sweltering. With another trip to the front desk, I convinced the manager to come with me to the room. He entered and pronounced that the room was perfectly normal and was no more than 21 degrees centigrade. He then said he would send his technician with a thermometer to prove me wrong! Charming. The technician arrived about an hour later and the thermometer showed 30 degrees. The technician dragged in a ladder and proceeded to dismantle the unit. He was a "guest" in our room for the next two hours with no regard for the inconvenience to us. My sons missed their much needed nap and we all missed our dinner reservation (I wasn't going to leave this man alone in our room).
This morning, we were anxious to check out. I remarked to the unsmiling lady that the technician had imposed upon us for two hours but did fix the air conditioning, proving that we were without air conditioning the first night. She declared that this was simply "impossible" and dismissed me completely. I then pointed out the problems with the internet and even the electronic gate to the paid parking. The manager joined her at this point to argue with me some more!!
I paid for the stay that defined "miserable" and vowed that I would warn fellow travelers against this unpleasant, unprofessional, third-rate hotel. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Niccostates, Proprietario at Hotel Tornese, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Good evening and thank you for the time spent for the review.

How you can see we do not respond to reviews because every customers has the right to express his disappointment.

I will be much "shorter" than you:

A guest who booked a double room and comes in hotel with 3 children in high season I don't think that needs some answers.

Next time take care of your family, not of your money.

Regards

Niccolò D'andrea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

A group of us stayed here on a cycling trip in May. The staff were helpful and the room clean and convenient. We spent the morning setting up our bikes in their carpark and they were very hospitable and tolerated people running in and out of the hotel all moring to wash theri hands. The breakfast was one of the best I had in Italy with excellent pastries. I left my jacket in the cupboard and the staff found it and posted it to me in the UK for no charge. This is quality service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Incredible location in frot of the mediterranean sea. Employees always polite. Complete and tasty breakfast. Very recommendable

• Stayed June 2012
Heywood, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

We arrived late in town without a booking out of season!!! We were given "the small room" but only after the staff insisted we see it first. The room was small but had a sea view, openable window and ensuite. It was clean and help yourself breakfast was included in the tariff. We were very happy. Ate in the hotel pizza restaurant as the main dining was booked out for a convention. Great meal followed by a walk along the beachfront.

Room Tip: parking off street available
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hague, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We had a great experience back there in Cecina, Tuscany.

It was probably one of the best hotels in this category.

The position of the hotel is even better. Just a couple of foot steps from the beach and the marina. The employeers are friendly as well.

In addition I would like to mention the panoramic view cafe in top iof the Hotel.

The best views at the beginning of the night with al those beatutiful lights,

Abbiamo avuto un'esperienza molto piacevole a Cecina, Toscana.

Molto probabile il migliore nella loro categoria!

Distinti Saluti,

Fam. Feenstra from The Netherlands

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Bellingham, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We arrived in the evening, after a passage from Corsica to Livorno, where the hotels were all booked - so we were happy to find accomodation at short notice at this place, not expecting more than the bare minimum, but an essential for us was the parking for our car on the hotel grounds. The parking was efficient and safe, and the young lady at the reception was exceedingly pleasant. The room was good, absolutely nothing to complain. Since we arrived just for an overnight stay in late October, we did not have a chance to research the food offerings in town, but took advantage of the restaurant Elisa on the ground floor of the hotel. We understand that there is another restaurant normally open during the high season, but this was closed, but we were extremely pleased with the food offerings in the restaurant - the manager went out of his way to recommend various items on the menu: we had a mixed seafood antipasto to share between the two of us, consisting of smoked salmon on toast, mussels in the shell, another smoked fish atop tomato slicees, warm calemari, 3 slices of herring and greens, it was wonderful. For the main corse, we had a fisherman's swordfish atop aubergine slices topped with cooked diced tomatoes and steamed seafood filet with artichoke carpaccio and grand padano cheese slivers - to round it all out, we had a half liter of their own white vermentino wine of excellent quality, and 25cl of the red house wine, and together with a cappuchino and a limoncello, we paid only around 50 euro for the two of us - all of these offerings were absolutely perfect, we enjoyed the ambience, the food quality and the pleasant service and would highly recommend the dinner in this restaurant. Our only regret was that we couldn't avail ourselves of the set menu, which looked great, but had to be pre-ordered. The breakfast was a nice ordinary Italien fare, nothing to rave about but definitely also noting negative to report.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have just stayed with a group at this hotel and found the staff extremely helpful and friendly as they have been on other visits. The people I was with also sang the hotel's praises hence our return visits, and we are coming back next year. But, of course, none of us tried to get served outside the well advertised breakfast times, unlike the illiterate Canadian traveller who thought her ridiculous behaviour was reasonable. I can promise you whatever else you will not be let down by the staff and in terms of value for money there is no better choice

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Tornese? Share your experiences!