“Weekend Escape” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barrenjoey House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palm Beach
Barrenjoey House
You added Barrenjoey House to your Saves list
1108 Barrenjoey Rd, Palm Beach, Pittwater, New South Wales 2108, Australia   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Palm Beach B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Weekend Escape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My partner & I booked a 'Weekend Escape' package, and it was exactly that, a perfect escape overlooking tranquil Pittwater. Although the hotel itself is basic, with small rooms & shared bathrooms, the 'Hampton's style' touches at each turn make it easy to overlook this, and give a real boutique feel to the place.
If you are someone who has never stayed in hostels & guesthouses, then the small shared breakfast room & the shared bathrooms could be a problem. Personally, my only criticism would be the staff on our arrival - They did not embody the laid back, beachy feel of the place, as they seemed stressed out (we may have arrived at a bad moment). The attentive staff in the restaurant at dinner made up for this, and the food was divine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We stayed at Barrenjoey House for a friend's wedding in October 2011. The rooms are small and above a great restaurant. We had a simple lunch at the restaurant which was really relaxing. Our room didn't have an ensuite but the bathrooms were across the hall. I wouldn't recommend the hotel if you want a romantic weekend away as it is not very private, however if you want a comfortable, clean room on the beach within walking distance to everywhere this is the place. There are also great views from the rooms and feels very rustic and relaxed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I ate here on Friday 16th march 2012.I have previously eaten here on 3 occasions and had really great food.Unfortunately this last time we ordered the sea food platter each and the food was really bad.They even managed to stuff up the chips.Very sad because I have great memories of the place,one bad meal and that's all you remember.You are only as good as your last meal
Walter Imbrailo

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Whilst vacationing in Palm Beach I stayed a night at Barrenjoey House. Upon check-out the next morning I accidentally left the bag containing my jewelry in the room. After realizing I had left it in my room I went and retrieved it later that day. The office clerk, SARAH [--] said their male cleaner had given it to her earlier that morning. Ms. [--] said she was the only person who had my jewelry bag in her possession for the day.

Upon arriving back to retrieve the missing bag, I was met by a nervous SARAH [--] who proceeded to take me back to the room I stayed in and away from the office where she was holding my jewelry bag. I asked her why she was taking me to the room I had stayed in the previous night if my jewelry was not in it. All she could nervously say was, "oh...oh...oh" with a red flushed face and she acted confused and nervous. I again asked her for my jewelry and bag and to take me to it. She raced ahead of me in a nervous fashion and headed back to the office, then closed the door in my face, was in there for several moments and finally she appeared and handed me my jewelry bag.

I immediately opened the bag to check the contents and found several pieces of gold and diamond jewelry items missing. When I exclaimed in shock and horror that my diamond heart pendant was missing [a wedding anniversary gift from my husband], and a gold and diamond heart pendant also missing, her face went red, she averted any eye contact, could only say, "oh...oh...oh". I said to her somebody really likes hearts, to which she replied, "yes". She quickly left to run downstairs to tell another staff member to come handle the situation and then she promptly left the premises and refused to make herself available for any further questioning.

I phoned the police to report the theft. They spoke with both the cleaner and SARAH [--] [the only 2 people to handle my jewelry bag] the next day. They said that they were fairly sure that the cleaner had not taken it but could not say the same about Ms. [--]. They suspect she had the missing pieces in her possession.

The pieces missing included:
1. One lady's pave diamond heart pendant with chain, which was valued at $2495 [plus Sales tax 6%].
2. One lady's gold with 1 diamond heart pendant valued at approximately $500
3. One lady's gold dangly costume earrings valued at approximately $100

A reward of $1,000 is being made available for the return of these items.

The manager of the Barrenjoey House -- a MARK [--] later accused me of being a liar and making up the entire story. It was a nightmare of nightmares experience in this odd 'guest house' amongst liars and thieves.

The case is still under investigation by the police.

Room Tip: The "manager" Mark James told me they do not accept children when I phoned to reserve the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Umina Beach, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This was a birthday surprise from my wife. We live in Umina Beach so the trip from Ettalong is very pleasant by ferry, 30 mins, Barrenjoey House is opposite the wharf. we have eaten here before and have always been pleased. The 1 night stay included, bed, a 3 course meal, and a continental style breakfast, toast/cereal etc. At $150.00 per head, at Palm Beach we thought this was good value.
The room was clean and tidy, furniture was dated, but meant to be. Not an en suite, but the bathroom was only feet away.
The staff were attentive and keen to please. Our bedroom was on the front side of the building, and with the window open enjoyed the timeless lapping of the tide on the shoreline.
We will return again.

Room Tip: Room 4 on the front of the building, facing the water.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

Difficult to beat this location for views and access to local amenities, the staff were generally friendly and helpful.
The bed and bedding was clean and fresh unfortunately the rest of he room was not, it was very dusty in the cupboards and the floor was dirty enough that flip flops had to be worn. In addition the fly screen was damaged at the bottom rendering it useless. Meaning the window could not be open at night.
The self service breakfast was made up of good quality products but the room was a bit cramped.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

We desperately needed a 1 night escape & we regularly head away for a night to trial regional restaurants & café’s. But we never thought one of the best accom/dining packages would be in the heart of Sydney’s affluent Palm Beach.

We called Barrenjoey House on a Sunday morning to find Sun-Thurs they offer 1 night stays from $220pn, but this also includes a 3-course dinner or lunch for two & a light breakfast. We arrived on a stunning day to a team expecting us & keen to get us settled. Their guesthouse & our room was fresh, charming & stylish. We set off on foot to find The Boathouse for lunch, which was approx 15mins walk & bang on spectacular Pittwater.

At sunset we walked back along Pittwater Beach back for dinner at Barrenjoey House. To our surprise we found within our package we could select any entrée, main or dessert on their menu. Staff were informed & friendly & even offered to bring our dessert up to our room. Slipping into Chocolate Pudding & Egyptian cotton sheets was such a treat. Breakfast was 'help yourself' to fresh juices, tea, coffee, toast & fruit.

Given our experience we are surprised to read the other BH reviews on this website. We believe if you arrive expecting a contemporary guesthouse you'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Barrenjoey House? Share your experiences!