“Great family Meal” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bridge Inn at Ratho

You added The Bridge Inn at Ratho to your Saves list
The Bridge Inn at Ratho
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   27 Baird Road | Ratho, Newbridge, Edinburgh EH28 8RA, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Newbridge B&B and Inns
Yorkshire, England
“Great family Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Went for a Christmas Eve lunch with our daughter's family ( 3 young children). Nice location down by the canal in Ratho and with a warm , well decorated interior. Welcomed and shown to a table immediately- the young man serving us was excellent, especially with the young children. He also recommended some good beers for the older members of the party. Good choice of wholesome bar food- the pies were particularly nice with plenty of good quality meat. We all enjoyed our meals and would definitely return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I love the bridge inn and tonight was no exception ..... My hubby had soup whilst I had Brie to start... Both were delicious! For our mains we both had fillet steak which was cooked perfectly and absolutely Devine!! The staff are brilliant and very friendly and we love that we can always take our dog, sabre, in for a drink (he has become a big lover of the Bridge Inn .... Not to mention the attention he gets)

All in all just fab!!!!!

• Stayed December 2012
Wellingborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

I have been very impressed with this excellent Inn. The location is very close to the city (of Edinburgh) yet is utterly charming and tranquil.

I needed a place with a good size car-park (towing a car-transport trailer), that offered a quality experience (I hate horrid hotels) and was priced comparably to a chain-hotel. I landed on my feet!

The welcome was genuine, helpful and warm. There was an open fire burning in the comfortable reception area. I was shown to my suite room which was well furnished with period bed and furniture, well decorated, maintained and absolutely spick and span clean. The bathroom was a very good size with large walk-in shower (again impressively, faultlessly clean too).

After sinking a proper pint I enjoyed a great supper, from the broad menu, of a pigeon and black pudding starter followed by venison steak and sausage capped by a creme brulee and espresso. I had a large glass of very well recommended red with the supper and a single malt to finish off with a further pint too. What a life!

Despite my room being above the bar area I did not hear any disturbance. The bed/mattress and bedding were super quality. I slept very well. I may have snored my head-off!

Breakfast was extensive and of a high quality. This was served by Pat who was warm and friendly (plus I understood had also so impressively prepared and cleaned my bedroom - championship standard!)

I have no gripes and can highly recommend the Bridge Inn as a luxury business hotel or certainly for visiting the city and surrounding country. The bill was most competitive.

Room Tip: Call the Inn to discuss your best choice of room or take a look at the website. I stayed in Bryce...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you're staying at the Marriott Dalmahoy, dinner at the Bridge Inn is a must! It's a 5 minute cab ride and the food offers authentic and delicious Scottish fare from fresh local ingredients.

Although the food was delicious, the best part of the restaurant was the management and wait staff. They were extremely friendly and offered great insight into the menu as well as useful recommendations for other restaurants and activities in the Edinburgh area.

Collin, the manager, helped us with everything we needed including opening a bottle of dessert wine from his personal collection and gave us a ride home to our hotel. We were blown away by the service and experience at this restaurant.

I can't say enough good things about the Bridge Inn!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My wife and I ate in the bistro 2 weeks ago and have not stopped talking about the night since.

We have never felt compelled to leave a review before but given the impression left by the Bridge Inn felt we should break habit and write a few lines.

We both had scallops to start and have to say that i have never eaten better, they were plump juicy and just starting to caramelise, they came with probably the best black pudding i have ever eaten, a carrot and honey puree and smoked bacon & pea shoots. It would be worth a visit just to eat this starter on its own.

For mains I had venison, which was a delicately sliced piece of rare haunch and a punchy and course venison sausage with kale jus and very buttery mash. The dish was beautifully seasoned and very pleasing on the eye as well as the taste buds.
My better half had hake fillet which had been rolled in curry spices then wrapped in smoked bacon before being (i suspect ) roasted, it was served with cauliflower tempura and only what i can describe as a very neat little (warm) vegetable salad. The hake was really very moist and the curry spices seemed to blend really well with hint of smoke that had permeated into the fishes soft flesh. The vegetable salad was lovely and unexpected (not on the menu) allof the vegetables were firm and vibrant (not raw) and it was dressed with what i think was samphire and a selection of sweet micro herbs.

To finish off we shared a chocolate brownie which came with berry and beetroot compote. The brownie was unbelievably rich, up there with the best I have eaten (and the better half does make a mean brownie!)

Coffee was by Illy which pretty much assures you of a good cup and as expected it was well made and a fitting finish to a great meal.

I can't endorse this place enough and am looking forward to our next visit which i hope will be soon.

Room Tip: We didn't spend the night so can't comment on the bedrooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Bridge Inn was recommended by my hotel, the Marriott Dalmahoy. I travel internationally for work and pleasure and if you are in the countryside of Edinburgh (approximately 30 minutes outside of Edinburgh) I would recommend eating every meal at The Bridge Inn. The Bridge Inn is located in the quaint town of Ratho. Upon pulling up and entry to the restaurant, the small pub it is just as one would hope for in visual appearance. The menu offers (vegetables and livestock) grown by the owners and represents a variety of choices for all taste palates. Our meals were excellent and the service we experienced was even better. We felt as if we were the only guest of the restaurant and the impression the service left on us, especially Collin (the manager) is still referenced today. Collin's knowledge of the menu and recommendations were impressive and appreciated and communicated in a very personal manner. He took the time and effort to recommend restaurants in Edinburgh (which were spot on) and even provided us a personal lift back to our hotel. Again, Collin heard our request for a cab and instead provided us a lift back home (for free). I cannot stress how much I would recommend The Bridge Inn for its food, atmosphere, but especially the service. Ask for Collin and his team (I don't know the name of our server but she was excellent as well) and you will be returning to the Bridge Inn time and time again.

Livingston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Was a last minute booking for a Wedding Anniversary lunch (No, not mine...my parents).

Great service, and a personal touch from proprietor who chats to all patrons to make them feel welcome.

Menu was nicely varied to suit a variety of tastes - and reasonably priced too.

Given it's next to a canal (hence the name) - good to see the do allow dogs inside too, but only in the bar area, which was pleasing for us and the dog as it was a cold day.

Would recommend a visit here to anyone who asks.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Bridge Inn at Ratho? Share your experiences!