“Fantastic food, fantastic staff!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Pasta, Family Fare
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The Candied Walnut Eatery is a new Dining establishment situated in Kilnacourt House, Portarlington, Co. Laois. Proprietor/Head Chef Barry Hayden serves Breakfasts, Lunches & Dinners at affordable prices. He uses only the finest ingredients to create his signature dishes. Fresh Coffees, Hearty Breakfasts, Daily Lunch Specials, Evening Dining. Our Customer Service is second to none. Our aim at The Candied Walnut Eatery is to have every customer leave satisfied & with a smile on their face!!
“Fantastic food, fantastic staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

By far one of the best restaurants that Lapis has had to offer! I cannot get enough of this place, the food is Michelin star quality, as are the friendly and accommodating staff. Highly recommend a visit, even if just to taste the steak!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
DawnDaisy46, Owner at The Candied Walnut Eatery, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Hi LeanneandAndrew,
Thanks you guys for your great comments!!
'Best Restaurant in Laois'
'Michelin Star Quality'
Please say you are a Food Critic/Food Mag Editor!! ha ha..
Hope to have you dine with us again in the near future..
Best regards,

93% Recommend
Portarlington, Ireland
“A much needed addition to Portarlington”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I have eaten breakfast, lunch and Sunday lunch here many times since it opened in August and have enjoyed every meal. I have yet to try the evening menu but a group of us are booked in for New Years Eve so I am looking forward to sampling it then. My favourite dish so far has to be the salmon, absolutely melt in the mouth. The service here was a bit hit and miss when it opened but in the past month it has improved immeasurably and I have to say it is absolutely perfect now. I look forward to many more meals here. A restaurant like this is a much needed addition to the town and I wish the proprieters all the very best.

Visited December 2012
Dear Lollypops 12,
I see you are becoming quite the regular at The Candied Walnut Eatery & for that we are most greatful. Yeah the Salmon is proving to be quite popular.. It is rather good, if I do say so myself!! Hope New Year's Eve was enjoyable for you.
Hope to have you dine with us again soon.
Many thanks,
Dublin, Ireland
“Ladies who lunch”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Thought with the run up to christmas that it would be nice to have a bit to eat and a good of chat with a friend, the restaurant was nice. But not a great lunch time selection for a veg. After ordering a ceaser salad (no meat) what arrive did not impress me with regard to portion size I got about ten leaves of ice burg lettue with lot of dress and a couple of shaving for cheese and one piece of garlic bread, this with a tea and a coffee was just under €12. I must say I was not impressed. It was put me off going again, as it is over priced for such small portion.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dear Feedme456,
I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy when you visited us recently. I have to say the Caesar Salad you describe doesn't sound like the one we have. Our Caesar Salad consists of Baby Gem Lettuce Leaves not Iceberg lettuce, Caesar dressing (obviously without the bacon bits as you are a vegetarian) served with a sour dough croute not garlic bread.
I take this opportunity to apologise if you felt the portion size wasn't what you expected.
Hopefully this wont put you off visiting us again in the near future and if you do and are unsatisfied with anything again I would ask that you bring it to the attention to one of our staff members immediately. They will be happy to rectify anything for you there and then.
Many thanks,
Proprietor.
dublin
“Oasis in the midlands”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Visited this excellent restaurant on a suturday evening without a booking. No problem as long as we were out in 2 hours. Lovely touches inc.sample home made soup and mulled wine on the house. Excellent food presented in a gourmet setting. Staff very friendly and efficient and one of the chefs genuinly inquiring if everything was ok. It was.... Keep up the good work as this type of quality restaurant was badly needed in the midlands, although I fear it will be hard to get a table if word spreads too far.

• Visited December 2012
Dear Phine Dublin,

Thank you so much for your great comments. 'Oasis in the Midlands', Wow!! You're very kind.. Sounds like we must be doing something right thank God!! The Mulled wine was a hit with all diners over Christmas & gave the restaurant a Christmassy feel!! Proprietor/Executive Head Chef Barry Hayden always tries to get to all tables to enquire if everyone is enjoying everything. He feels this is extremely important.
We look forward to having you dine with us again in the near future.

Best Regards,
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We arrived on a busy friday night unaware that you needed to book, but never the less a table was found for us and we were so glad. Staff were all so friendly and nothing was too much hassle, the food was top quality and by far the best in the area. Clean, quick, friendly and excellent food all at reasonable price...cant ask for more than that.

Dear Katiebree,

Thank you so much for your amazing feedback. We really appreciate you taking the time to post it on Tripadvisor.
We hope to have you dine with us again very soon.

All the best,