“Great Little Town Near Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Abcoude
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kerkplein 7, Abcoude 1391, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Abcoude
Tallahassee, Florida
“Great Little Town Near Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Abcoude. The town was quaint and a nice break from the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam. The staff was very friendly and helpful too to provide us with transportation and local city info. Our room was very basic but it was very quiet and it was quite nice being right next to a canal with ducks. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

I've stayed here many times over many years and never tire of the comfort of knowing I'm in a wonderful small town that keeps bringing me back.

If you're looking for a five star pampering experience, keep going. The Hotel Abcoude is more about small town comfort away from the crowds of the big city.

The rooms are basic but nice but maybe because I come from so far away, I only use the room to sleep in. I'd much prefer to spend my time walking the town, or walking to neighboring towns and areas.

The train stop is a nice ten minute walk from the hotel for visits to A-dam etc so you really couldn't ask for much more convenience.

Shop three minutes away from your room at Albert Heijn for anything you need to nibble on, or visit the bakery just around the corner of the hotel.

There's two nice pubs in town too, heck there's probably more but I keep going to these two---both are a 3-4 minute walk from the hotel.

Abcoude makes a great base for a visit to Amsterdam and the Hotel Abcoude is a wonderful place to call home for as long as you need.

My last visit was for over a week and I wish I could have stayed even longer.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Abcoude itself is a lovely town, and the center of town is an easy ten-minute walk from the train station, situated about halfway between Amstelveen and Utrecht. The hotel, though, was less impressive.

The room booked for a night wasn't available, although that wasn't mentioned at check-in. Nor was the fact that the pre-paid WiFi (purchased at the front desk like many small hotels in Europe) didn't reach to the room in which I was staying. Nor was it mentioned that the room I was staying in was under construction. The website pictures must have come from a completely different hotel, as I can best figure it out, because the leftover crisps and portions of a Hindi newspaper made me think I was back in a smaller city in India.

Snapped a few pics, which I tried to upload via the stray WiFi signal I picked up by opening the window and leaning out to catch a signal from a nearby grocery store, but the rain precluded me from uploading them or a review at the time of the stay.

In addition, this is the only hotel I've stayed at in the past five years, anywhere in the world, that shows your full credit card number on the receipt. Not the kind of CC slip you'd want to accidentally drop somewhere...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here because we wanted to be able to travel in to Amsterdam, but were distinctly underwhelmed by the hotel. The receptionist seemed reluctant to find us a parking space when we arrived. We were allocated rooms in 2 separate buildings; the outer door of my block was self-closing and I did not have a phone in the room, which made it hard for us to meet up. My room was OK, overlooking the canal, but my son's was up at the top and very hot.

The receptionist assured us we wouldn't need change to buy tickets to Amsterdam; we did, as our cards didn't work in the ticket machines and it's an unmanned station. Not helpful.

I had breakfast the following morning and it was very uninspiring.

Generally it felt as though nobody really cared about the hotel and the service provided; I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Crosse WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel was well located for us to stay two nights and walk the village and dine. We also golfed at a nearby course and walked back to the hotel. The rooms were clean and check in was easy. Parking is limited.
We enjoyed the breakfast each morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bologna, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I have been here many times.
I love location, village and the hotel itself.
However, it has been recently renewed . The restaurant is no more as good as before. The dining room is modern and too easy . Food not same level as before. Plus I do not like fact that breakfast is not included. I will probably come back since I have customer closely and there are no other hotels in the area. But it is no more my top hotel in nl.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

the hotel was not the cheapest but since we were six (4 adults and 2 children) during the tulip festival and only wanted to spend a night near amsterdam, i booked 2 rooms. the rooms were pleasant. amsterdam was just like less than 30 minutes. Abcoude is a calm and pictoresque town. the breakfast buffet at €10 per personne could be more generous. we had to always ask the receptionist to do refils(coffee, orange juice, breads and hams)

Room Tip: don't hope to find a parking slot in the hotel grounds