“Love the village, leave the hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel Abcoude
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kerkplein 7, 1391 Abcoude, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Abcoude
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Love the village, leave the hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Abcoude itself is a lovely town, and the center of town is an easy ten-minute walk from the train station, situated about halfway between Amstelveen and Utrecht. The hotel, though, was less impressive.

The room booked for a night wasn't available, although that wasn't mentioned at check-in. Nor was the fact that the pre-paid WiFi (purchased at the front desk like many small hotels in Europe) didn't reach to the room in which I was staying. Nor was it mentioned that the room I was staying in was under construction. The website pictures must have come from a completely different hotel, as I can best figure it out, because the leftover crisps and portions of a Hindi newspaper made me think I was back in a smaller city in India.

Snapped a few pics, which I tried to upload via the stray WiFi signal I picked up by opening the window and leaning out to catch a signal from a nearby grocery store, but the rain precluded me from uploading them or a review at the time of the stay.

In addition, this is the only hotel I've stayed at in the past five years, anywhere in the world, that shows your full credit card number on the receipt. Not the kind of CC slip you'd want to accidentally drop somewhere...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

29 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed here because we wanted to be able to travel in to Amsterdam, but were distinctly underwhelmed by the hotel. The receptionist seemed reluctant to find us a parking space when we arrived. We were allocated rooms in 2 separate buildings; the outer door of my block was self-closing and I did not have a phone in the room, which made it hard for us to meet up. My room was OK, overlooking the canal, but my son's was up at the top and very hot.

The receptionist assured us we wouldn't need change to buy tickets to Amsterdam; we did, as our cards didn't work in the ticket machines and it's an unmanned station. Not helpful.

I had breakfast the following morning and it was very uninspiring.

Generally it felt as though nobody really cared about the hotel and the service provided; I wouldn't come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
La Crosse WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

The hotel was well located for us to stay two nights and walk the village and dine. We also golfed at a nearby course and walked back to the hotel. The rooms were clean and check in was easy. Parking is limited.
We enjoyed the breakfast each morning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bologna, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

I have been here many times.
I love location, village and the hotel itself.
However, it has been recently renewed . The restaurant is no more as good as before. The dining room is modern and too easy . Food not same level as before. Plus I do not like fact that breakfast is not included. I will probably come back since I have customer closely and there are no other hotels in the area. But it is no more my top hotel in nl.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

the hotel was not the cheapest but since we were six (4 adults and 2 children) during the tulip festival and only wanted to spend a night near amsterdam, i booked 2 rooms. the rooms were pleasant. amsterdam was just like less than 30 minutes. Abcoude is a calm and pictoresque town. the breakfast buffet at €10 per personne could be more generous. we had to always ask the receptionist to do refils(coffee, orange juice, breads and hams)

Room Tip: don't hope to find a parking slot in the hotel grounds
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

We spent a cold February Monday night here at short notice, partly because other, more expensive, establishments in South Amsterdam were fully booked. The hotel is in the heart of a not unattractive village, close to the Utrecht - Amsterdam motorway. The bedrooms are in a separate block set back from the main road through the village, and thus quiet - you could sleep with the window open. The en-suite room we had was neither big nor luxurious, had a view onto the backs of houses, but was warm and perfectly satisfactory, if a bit drab by modern standards. The owner and his wife run the adjacent restaurant, where you have breakfast, were very pleasant, and made sure everything was kept topped up.

The hotel has some off-street car parking, but not enough for all the guests, and our car spent the night on a free public car park a few minutes away, where, however, most spaces would only allow 2 hours parking after 8 am. The hotel is ten minutes walk from Abcoude railway station with half-hourly trains to Amsterdam Amstel and Central stations and beyond. Since car parking in central Amsterdam is very difficult to find and very expensive when you do, leaving your car at the hotel or station and going by train is an interesting option if you are visiting the city that way.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed at Hotel Abcoude for a couple of nights for business purposes in Amsterdam and look forward to going back. Its a small hotel with rooms with outside entrances- mine was right on a canal. The room wasn't four star but very adequate with a large bathroom, comfy beds, mini frig and fantastic view. Very clean and quiet. Great restaurant on the premises and excellent service. Great small walking village too.

Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Abcoude? Share your experiences!