“Great Place For Peace and Quiet” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sidharth House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in McLeod Ganj
Sidharth House
You added Sidharth House to your Saves list
Jogiwara Road | below Yongling School, McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala 176219, India   |
Ranked #14 of 48 McLeod Ganj B&B and Inns
Welshpool, United Kingdom
“Great Place For Peace and Quiet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at Sidarth House 3 Weeks in April/May in Cinema room. We had dual aspect windows, cooking facilities and carpets on the floor, nice soft mattress, clean bathroom with hot water. The views were fantastic and even though there was a Yoga grot there the whole place was very peaceful. The staff were fantastic and helpful at all times. We recommend this place to everyone who wants a quiet time down the hill away from the crowds and traffic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I stayed 4 weeks in march-april 2013 in this lovely guest-house. I was in the first floor in "Sun" room. All the bedrooms have a nice name, a private balcony and a beautiful view on the mountains. They are clean, big, some of them with a kitchen and very well-furnished and well-decorated.

At the top, they have a nice and confortable common room with a perfect view of the valley, we can eat, drink, meet people, read or do nothing, just to be there to relax. They have filter water, you can fill your bottle for some rupies, eco friendly place.
The owner and all the staff are very friendly and always helpful and smiling.
I recommand this lovely and peaceful place. I will come back ther next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 10 nights and we really liked the place. The double room was big, clean and with a kitchenette includes so we made breakfast a couple of days in the room. Was cheap comparing with other places in the city, really a good value for the money. Just outside the room we had this big share terrace with hamacs, chairs and a beautiful view of the mountains, a good place to hang out or just read.

At the top they have a nice café with a perfect view of the valley, good decoration and food, a nice place to be, alao providing movies, books and other things. They have a mobile internet device one can use if you ask for it. Also they have filter water so you don't have to buy lot's of bottles, eco friendly place.

The owners are really friendly, you can ask them about things to do, tips, recommendations or anything you need... We always receive a smile and good responses from them, is nice to talk to them and share their experiences, nice people. We booked in advance through phone and they had our room ready for us when we arrived, Sohera was a 10 all the time.

The only but is that you have to walk a few more stairs to get to town but for us was no problem.

I recommend this place, if i ever come back I would consider it as my first option.

• Stayed March 2012
Penrith, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I just spent three weeks in Oct/Nov 2012 at Sidharth House and had the most peaceful, relaxing time in this lovely house. We stayed in a themed room which was very comfortable with the best view of the mountains. It was quiet and we had everything we needed including hot showers!!! The morning sun on our balcony was wonderful and even as an older couple we managed the stairs and the walk into town just fine and good for the calf muscles. We felt the location was just what we needed and enjoyed the peace and quiet. The managers are lovely and happy to assist when needed but also did not intrude. The whole area is just wonderful to relax in so we were very happy and think the accommodation is excellent value. We very much recommend it!!! Lynn and Tom !!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed at Sidharth House in June this year, travelling on my own as my husband had to go back to the UK unexpectedly. Initially I booked for a month but had to leave after a week to also go back home. The owners were very understanding and only charged me for the time which I had stayed.

So what to say about Sidhart House - it is set in an amazing area, a good walk down the hill in Mcleod Ganj (so remember it is a good walk back up to the town, either on the road or up lots of steps- very good to keep fit). It is quiet and peaceful, as I was on my own I didnt have many late nights as it is a dark walk back so take a torch. There is a cafe at the guesthouse but to be honest I was in the day and tended to have food whilst I was out or cook some noodles back in my room.

The room was great - clean, massive bed with colourful decor, a kitchen area which could have been a little cleaner (they provide a gas bottle and stove), a good shower room with hot water. The best thing is the view from the lovely belcony, overlooking the hills and snow-capped mountains in the background, eagles flying all around, cows and goats grazing and you can see monks and nuns wandering up to their monasteries and schools. There is building work going on around but that is happening everywhere so no big deal.

All in all a great place to stay - I will go back with my husband when we resume our world trip as it was a haven in this great place. Just remember it is a good walk and take a torch if you are walking back late.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms will have a good view - I was on the first floor and had an amazing view of th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have just returned from a month long stay at Sidharth House and I loved it. I was at yoga school and it was perfect for my requirements. Big bed, hot water, great views. The family are great and very hospitable and if I needed anything it was dealt with promptly.
A previous reviewer had mentioned the 700 steps (possibly a little exaggerated) but you don't have to go up the steep steps past the school. If you turn left at the top of the guest house steps it's less than a minute to Jogiwara Rd, just lower down. I never used the "700" steps!
And yes I would advise a torch, everywhere! There are occassional electric cuts, the track is a bit bumpy and for traffic on the road at night.
Turn right at the top of the guest house steps and there are a couple of small stores and one is also an internet supplier. Open most hours and the shop on the right is pretty well stocked with cold drinks and water which is a bonus.
Also another reviewer mentioned the hot water taking a long time to heat up after a shower. For a whole month I used the bucket and jug method to shower with and water would heat up as I went, never a problem and more eco than using the shower head.
I ate at the upstairs 'Habibi's Cafe' a few times, it was good snack food. There is also a good lending library with India travel guides to preuse. But town has lots of restaurants, Lung Ta being a short walk up Jogiwara and very good.
I would highly recommend a stay here, we paid between 500 rupees a night, about $9. Can't beat that. Go check it out.

Room Tip: I had one at the end of the building, which gets an extra window. More light and views.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Siddharth House is definitely for a certain type of traveler-- It was perfect for me & I will stay here again if ever in McLeod Ganj.

It is down a big flight of almost 300 steps to get to the main areas of town, but it's quite close to a number of the yoga and meditation centers, across the street from internet and a store, has its own restaurant (in a lovely living room environment with lots of good books & small #s of people-- who were all fascinating & peaceful) and has perfect views of the himalayas... So, for me, location was ideal. The steps were welcome exercise.

There are smaller rooms as well as bigger ones that are almost like small studio apartments with tiny (kind of) kitchenettes, balconies and a bathroom. The rooms are basic and the decorations are... fading... But the views are AMAZING. It's one of the few budget places to have a private balcony with an almost unobstructed view of the Himalayas.

The family who owns it is precious and great to be around, as are the 2 Kashmiri men who work there almost 24/7.

The atmosphere is super laid back-- to the point of frustration if you are expected a normal hotel experience. When I arrived there were several small issues with my room, but all you have to do is ask-- They will make you stay as lovely as possible. No one is jumping up to help you. If there is something you want, you will need to seek out the staff. For me, this was great. I was tired of having people in my room and business in every city. Sidharth House was a much appreciated breath of fresh air.

I HIGHLY recommend staying here if you are looking for a comfortable, peaceful, communal, home-like stay. (If you want a 5 star hotel with people serving you all of the time, this is not your place.)

Also, they try super hard to be green-- There's safe, filtered water for free or 5 rupees in the common room, as well as composting and recycling.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Sidharth House? Share your experiences!