“Great place for a budget stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pink House

You added Pink House to your Saves list
Pink House
Opposite Youngling School, Jogiwara Road | Dharamshala, McLeod Ganj, Dharamsala 176219, India   |
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in McLeod Ganj
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great place for a budget stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Pink House is an excellent option to stay in McLeodganj. The place is simple and basic. The rooms are clean and many of them offer you a good view of the snow capped mountain range.
The rooftop is a good place to sit down and have a cup of hot coffee or tea , and they serve excellent Kashmiri Kahwa.
The place is well managed by Javed, who is always ready to help.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
javidb, Manager at Pink House, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hello Rajesh,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking time out to give us a feedback.
We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Pink House. Yes, I agree that the views from the rooftop cafe are unmatched. Just today, we had a cloud float in - and it looked stunning!

I'm really happy that you enjoyed the Kehwa - at Pink House, we get our Kehwa specially from Kashmir so that we give our customers the real deal. If you had mentioned about it while you were here, I would have been more than happy to offer you a packet for you to take home.

We hope to see you soon. We really enjoyed hosting you. Come back home soon!

Javid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Korean first
Udaipur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Like most of us, I selected this hotel going by the ratings here and was not disappointed.
To start with the booking, it was just fine. Needed 2 rooms for 3 nights in tourist season and got them with not much trouble.
The exact pinpoint location may not be very comfortable since you'll have to climb down or up a long stairs. Maybe that's good as a warmup for day's excursions. But a bigger advantage of the overall location is that it is very next to the main market or square. Hardly 5-10 mins walk to all the shops and eating places or taxi or bus stand.
The rooms were good enough for this budget. Bathroom was clean, the doors of which though, in both rooms, were difficult to shut.
Best part, the view from huge windows and balcony. Facing the higher mountains it gave us very beautiful view of few snow capped peaks, clouds, jungles and the beautiful town around. 10 on 10 for that.
The service was just average. Few goof-ups in room service. The reception was at strange location. At the top floor. They gave some justification but we couldn't buy that.
Food was good but not the tea. Only order masala tea to have a good one.
I'll recommend it for those looking for a budget hotel with good access to market and an awesome view.

• Stayed June 2014
javidb, Manager at Pink House, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Hello,

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us a feedback of the same. We really appreciate it! I'm glad that the booking and checking in process was smooth and easy for you. I'm glad that you see the brighter side of the stairs - Yes, it is a fantastic work out to prep you for Triund and the walk in the hills.

I'm sorry you had problems with the door. It has been fixed now. As you're aware we're in the monsoon season and we tend to face such issues. We always have a carpenter on standby who would swiftly fix the problem as and when they arise.

I'm surprised to hear about the goof ups in room service. Could you please throw more light on that and I'll take a look at what happened. We are usually reputed for our impeccable and friendly room service - but if there was a mistake from our end, we're very sorry about that and we'll make sure they don't get repeated.

Regarding your point about the reception being at the top floor, I'm sorry if you found the location uncomfortable. We don't operate like a formal hotel where the reception is just a place for commercial interaction between the guest and the hotel staff. For us, guests like you are like family members and that's why we choose to have a reception at a place where we are close to the rooftop cafe - so we can spend more time with our guests and interact with them and understand their requirements more closely - all of this so that we can provide the best service.

I'm happy that your overall experience minus the hiccups was good. However, I've noted down your comment about the room service and we'll take it up with the staff when we have our meeting tonight.

We hope you come back to stay with us the next time you are in Mcleodganj. We'd love to host you again. We promise that this time, you will have no complaints.

Thank you once again for staying with us.

Akron, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

If you are looking for a place to stay, other than a guest house in McLeod Ganj, Pink House is a good option. The service is above average, and the food is amazing. It does not come without drawbacks though. It is located quite a ways away from the bus stand. But in terms of McLeod Ganj, it isn't that far. It is also down the side of the hill OFF of the road, so you have to walk down quite a few steps to get to it (a couple hundred maybe). which can be tiresome if you are either carrying your packs, or coming in and out all day. If you are traveling in the colder months (we were there in March) keep in mind that this hotel is extremely drafty. I cannot stress that enough! We were freezing some nights. The hallways are open to the outside, and the curtains are little more than bedsheets. Also, the person working in the office told us the wrong times for the local bus, and then tried to sell us a travel package based on that info.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
javidb, Manager at Pink House, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello Brian,

Thank you so much staying with us and taking the time out to give us a review of the same.
Firstly, I'm happy that you considered Pink House a good place to stay at and really glad that you enjoyed the food. I've passed your comment to the kitchen. You'd be happy to know that in the last couple of months, we've revamped our kitchen and added more mouth watering dishes to our menu.

Regarding the location, yes Brian, we are located off the main road but I'd like to use this forum to inform you that it's not a couple of hundred but about 135 stairs that lead to Pink House. As you stayed here, you must have realized that it's because of this location that we are away from the crowd and noise that plagues the main road. If you had big bags that you weren't willing to carry down the stairs, I wish you had just given me a call and I would have sent someone to help you. This is what we always do.

I'm a bit taken aback by the fact that you felt cold in your room. Brian, it's of utmost importance to us that our guests - whom we treat like family members stay warm and comfortable. If you were feeling cold and since it was still off season, I would have been more than happy to offer you a free heater and extra blankets. During the time you were staying, exactly opposite to your room was a guest who was staying with us for over four months. When she complained about the cold, I immediately gave her a heater and an electric blanket to make sure she was warm. I just wish you had come up and told us about feeling cold in the room.

Regarding your point about the curtains, I'd like to inform you that every year before the tourist season starts, we bring in new curtains that add more life to the room. I'm sorry if you didn't find the curtains up to your standards.

I'd like to use this forum to let you know that on the dates you were staying, there was an accident on the main road to Dharamsala which is why the timings of the local buses had been changed. I've had a word with the manager regarding this and he tells me that he was only offering you options based on the information he had. Very kindly, I'd like to tell you that at Pink House, we don't run this hotel to solely make money - we do it primarily because we love meeting new people from different corners of the world and like yourself - we're passionate about travel. And we try to play a small but honest part in making your travel memorable and comfortable.

Brian, I really hope you would come back to Mcleodganj and give us another chance to host you. I assure you - you will have no complaints this time.

Once again, thank you very much for staying with us. See you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Firstly let me say there are no 5 star hotels in McLeod Ganj. We chose to stay at the Pink House on the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews and this proved to be a smart decision. The hotel itself is relatively simple and basic but has everything that the realistic traveler could possibly want. The rooms are comfortable and clean, many of the rooms have excellent views of the snow-capped mountains. The hotel is, as many have pointed out, away from the road [which makes it relatively quiet], but it means there are well over 100 steps down to the hotel. This only becomes a problem however if you or members of your group have serious mobility problems - the hotel will happily have your belongings brought down the steps at the beginning of your stay, and taken back up the steps at the end of your stay. We are a couple in our 60s and the steps presented no issues at all.
The real attraction of the hotel though is the way it is managed by Javid. He is the consummate hotel manager, anticipating guests needs and always ready to assist in whatever way he can. And he seems to be able to assist with almost anything - arranging vehicles, treks, guides, equipment etc there appears to be no limits to what he is able to organize.
The result is that he and his staff create a strong sense of being in a home away from home. You get to meet and mingle [if you wish] with other international and national guests. This leads to an environment where, at the end of a long day's trekking or sightseeing, it feels very comfortable to be heading home to the Pink House.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are probably to best
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Wow, that's such a wonderful review. Thank you so much, sir. As I read this review with the staff, we are all smiling teeth to teeth! I'm so glad that the stairs didn't dissuade you from having a great experience at the Pink House. We are aware that for some people who aren't willing to climb those stairs, it becomes difficult. But we were really happy that you, despite being in your 60s, had no problems at all with the stairs.

We're humbled by your kind words. Thank you so much for staying with us. We really enjoyed hosting you. Please come home again!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Pros:
Best location with best view out of your balcony.
Best staff to help you out (all of them understand and speak English)
Restaurant at the roof top gives you a beautiful view (you may optionally have room delivery as well)
Stay here is a true value for money.

Cons:
You will have to take a rocky stairs to reach here (Be prepared to have a nice exercise. Old people may not enjoy it.)

Room Tip: Try to get the super deluxe rooms on the top floor which face the snow-clad mountain view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us a feedback of the same. I'm really happy that you enjoyed staying at the Pink House and that we could play a small part in making your holiday a happy experience. I've passed the compliments to the staff members and they are delighted with the feedback. I'm glad you found your Pink House experience - "value for money". We are group of hard working individuals and we know the value of hard earned money. Which is why, despite being rated the best hotel in Mcleodganj for the last four years, we still keep our prices in the lower slab so that our guests, who work hard all year round, get a great holiday - something that is truly worth their money.

Once again, thank you so much for staying with us. We'd love to have you over again.

New Delhi, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

The view from the room was amazing. Jawid bhai and his staff were very nice and helpful.

Jawid bhai arranged for our trek and the equipments were just incomparable.

We went for adventure and totally enjoyed it. This is not the place for luxury.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello,

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us a feedback of the same.
I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at the Pink House. At the Pink House, we have a policy of giving our guests only the best - which is why we stock state of the art camping equipment so that when our guests go out for a trek, they carry the Pink House experience with them that keeps them warm and comfortable.

Once again, thank you so much for staying with us. We hope to see you real soon.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Pink house is your ideal camper's paradise. You have people coming from all over the world and staying here for an experience. In the morning you can see people enjoying Yoga on the terrace, having breakfast, mingling around and discussing about their stay at Mcleodganj.
Its a nice little quaint hotel, which seems like a regular building. There is no simple way to go to this place. You either get off at a road which might be 50-70 odd steps below the hotel or 70 odd steps above the hotel.
The staff is extremely useful. Javed bhai, the owner, was of great help.
There are so many restaurants, bars, cafe around this place that you would love to stay here for long.
The rooms are simple, yet clean. Hot water is there 24 hrs. Basic amenities in the room. But it feels nice.
We liked our stay there. We would recommend the place to people who are adventurous in their stay, like to mingle with lot of international tourists, open to cuisines, etc...

Room Tip: Higher floors the better. They have a new wing in a building next to pink house.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Hello Apurva,

Thank you so much for staying with us and giving us a feedback.

A dear guest once said "staying at the Pink House is like travelling the world". I guess that matches with your experience. For the last decade, Pink House has been the go-to place in Mcleodganj for people from all over the world. The reason - our service is a good mix of the warm Indian culture and high international standards. Thanks to the feedback of wonderful people like yourself, we try to gauge what our guest wants and try to deliver above their expectations.

I'm really happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Pink House and we would love to have you and your friends over again. At the Pink House, you will always have a warm and comfortable home in Mcleodganj.

We hope to see you soon.

Javid

Been to Pink House? Share your experiences!