“A Beautiful, Characterful Building - But a little Cold...!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Southern Cross Guest House

Southern Cross Guest House
You added Southern Cross Guest House to your Saves list
Southern Cross Guest House
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   High Street, Newton Poppleford EX10 0DU, England   |
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A Beautiful, Characterful Building - But a little Cold...!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was booked into the Southern Cross Guest House by a comapny I was working for. Upon arrival, it was obvious that this was a beautiful, old, characterful house - and I was very excited by the exterior.

The twin room itself was relatively small, with a rather sloped floor (part of the 'character!') and an electric heater. Upon arrival, the room was freezing cold, and the heater took some time to warm up. In fact, having eaten out and returned to the room, it was still a little chilly... Not warming up until around 2am when I had to get out of bed to turn it down.
It was lucky that I noticed the 'Hot Water For Shower' switch - having not been notified of this upon arrival! Otherwise, i'd have been in for a sharp, cold shock early the next morning!
The shower itself was very weak, and, whilst on, made the toilet shredding machine 'whir' - which must have been a bit frustrating for other guests given how early I had to shower!

All in all, though, I was comfortable. Though a friend with a different room mentioned a musty smell to her towels and some damp around the foot of her bed. I slept not too badly, though not too well either.

The breakfast, however, was tasty, and arrived in decent time - and the two gentlemen who dealt with us were both pleasant and welcoming. The Southern Cross could certainly benefit from warming the rooms a little prior to guests arrival!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Very good for the price - this is an expensive area even in the off season. We were made to feel very welcome and had everything we needed. It is an old cottage, so it is a bit quirky, but it was a lovely comfy bed. And a really great breakfast. Will most definitely go again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dorset, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I visited on a business trip and had a thoroughly enjoyable and very comfortable stay. The guest house is grade two listed and is really quirky and lovely, with narrow corridors, low ceilings, original beams and uneven walls. I received a very warm welcome from the owner, Tim, and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for Tim, in order to make my stay a positive one. My room was lovely and I was given an ensuite double when I only booked a room with a shared bathroom. The bed was very comfy, with plump pillows, a thick duvet and bedspread, and the hospitality tray was extremely well stocked. Soft towels, shower gel, liquid hand soap, hand cream and tissues were also provided. Breakfast was served in the very quaint dining room (which was decorated so beautifully it was like having breakfast in Santa's grotto!!), and the full English was cooked to perfection. The highlight for me was the delicious homemade marmalade, which I spread on warm toast and washed down with a pot of freshly brewed coffee. Though the guest house does not have central heating, the electric heaters everywhere ensured I was lovely and cosy, despite the freezing temperatures. I will definitely be returning to Southern Cross when I'm on business in Exeter again, and I also intend to bring my family here for a little holiday. I've already recommended this lovely little guest house to family, friends and work colleagues.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Crewe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed for one night and for the money was ok. Yes the place has character but with some money spent on it could be charging much more. On stepping through the door there is a doggy smell and the front bedroom we slept in is very musty. The room was clean and the bed comfy although because of the age of the place everything is sloping. The plumbing is a problem when someone flushes the loo - it can be heard all through the place. The shower is also in need of a makover. The breakfast was fine but the cooked breakfast was far too greasy, prefer it grilled myself. The dining area was too cold and needed some background music. The owners were polite and friendly. The negative points I have made are genuine and hopefully can be improved upon in the future. I am well travelled so I think I have gained enough knowledge to be able to give constructive criticisim.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Service was beautiful and the scones and cream and strawberry jam - scrummy. I went today with my friend Lin and we both relaxed and enjoyed the surroundings and the beautiful guest house that is the Southern Cross.
Best yet!

Room Tip: This must be the most authentic b and b and tea room that I have been to and I come from Devon!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed a night in August, the place was easy to find and we were greeted by a very nice man. When we were shown to our room i have to say it wasn't what we expected. The room was a double, it was very small and really needs some TLC. Every thing was rather tatty. We had a shared bathroom that was clean and tidy. Breakfast was nice with a good choice offered. There is a nice tea garden out the back but we didn't get to use it as it was raining. All in all not a place we would return to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

First opinions of the Southern Cross were hopeful. A small cottage Bed & Breakfast run by a very welcoming chap (didn’t get his name) situated about 5 mins from the seafront of Sidmouth. Seems some of the décor is in need of modernising, but I think this element should be retained, as it gives the place a very cosy, warm, olde-worlde feel about it.

The room was on a slight gradient as the cottage rests on a hill, but it wasn’t an issue. Reasonable sized room, the mattress was too soft for our backs unfortunately, but mattress satisfaction depends on the person really!

We passed on the full English in the morning, and took up the Poached eggs instead, which were decent. All in all, a relaxing getaway just a few miles from the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Southern Cross Guest House? Share your experiences!