“Prime Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Oasis Surf Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Catalina
Oasis Surf Camp
You added Oasis Surf Camp to your Saves list
Calle Hacia Playa Estero, Santa Catalina, Panama   |
Vancouver, Canada
“Prime Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Oasis Surf Camp is location right on Playa Estero in Santa Catalina, just a 20 minute walk out of town. Be warned that if you're walking to Oasis at high tide, access by the main road is basically cut off unless you're prepared to wade through waist high water. The rooms are clean and pleasant, although a little pricey for a backpacking budget. The owner is nice, although I barely saw him during my 5 night stay, but be warned that the hospitality of the restaurant staff is lacking. The surf teacher, Rocco is very nice, a great teacher and is always around to cater to the needs of guests. The beach break on Playa Estero is great for beginners, and there's a point break nearby for the more advanced. Overall, I recommend Oasis primarily for the location - walk for 30 seconds and you're in the water, and the resort itself doesn't disappoint.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Erfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I can highly recommend this relaxing and very clean hotel/hostel with private houses situated on the beautiful beach playa estero in santa catalina. The surf here is perfect for beginners and intermediates. The hostel's houses - which are located 50m away from the beach (high tide) - are very clean and large. Surf teacher Rocco with his lovely dog is friendly and very helpful. The Italian sea food is excellent though a bit pricy like many things in Santa Catalina. If you want to relax and enjoy beautiful Panama, do it here. The only drawback: Probably one of the most expensive places in Santa Catalina for budget travellers.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

wanting to surf and snorkel in Coiba National Park, we checked out two travel bibles, Frommers and National Geographic. Found two places and called both. Jennifer was first to respond and organized our rooms (complicated with two parents, two teenage kids and two friends).
Tricky route from Santiago as sign postings not always there). when we arrived we had to drive across a small river (was great fun).
We were met by the manager, showed to our huts... wonderful location. Wonderful view. Rooms are simple, brightly decorated. Hammocks outside your front door to relax ans listen to the waves.
Good value for your money and staff wonderful and helpful.
We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013
Newburgh, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I thot I had 2 nites reserved here. However, I got there 1 nite early. While I was trying to check in, 2 girls from France rushed in and booked 2 nites, taking one of my nites. Since I didn't want to be changing hotels 3 diferent nites, I elected to go next door. I made sure that the person in charge, named Santiago, understood to cancel my 2 subsequent nites there. He said it would be no problem. The next day, I got an email, stating that they were charging me for 1 nite. I talked to Santiago again, and he said that he would take care of it. I tried to explain to Jennifer and David via email, what had transpired. It seemed that there was no or poor communication from Santiago about this. I'm wondering if they even know enough English to correspond with. They stubbornly refused to reverse the charge, and then claimed that "something was wrong" with me. Of course, I will refuse to pay this on my charge card.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Santa Catalina hotels

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

Had a look at some other accommodation nearby but was unimpressed with their service & presentation. I think Oasis is a much better choice than anything else close to Playa Estero. With all the cabins spread out along the beachfront, it feels spacious, private & serene. David, the owner, is a nice guy. He gave us a lift to The Point (great waves but very crowded) & to the bus stop in town the day we left. Food at the restaurant was good & the staff were friendly. Room was comfortable, private bathroom with hot water. Wifi mostly not available during our stay. Sunset with full moon was stunning. Beautiful spot.

• Stayed April 2013
sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Oasis surfcamp is lovely, we liked it so much! Chill place with accomondation on the beach and the ocean outsie your door. Jennifer and Daniel who run the place are very caring and make sure you have everything you need at your stay at Oasis surfcamp. I can really recommend it!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Munich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed at Oasis Surf Camp for 6 nights. Oasis is situated right at the beach and has nice little cabins that face the beach. For a beach holiday there couldn´t be a better place.

The Management could do better though. We had a reservation for 6 nights and arrived 2 days earlier in Santa Catalina. It was Eastern and therefore high season. The surfcamp was booked out and we luckily found a place for 2 days (Surfpoint Santa Catalina). On our first day we walked to the surfcamp and asked the owner if we could use two sunloungers for the day. The surfcamp has more than 20 sunloungers and less than half of them where taken. It was a really hot day and the only shade around was on the property of the surfcamp. I explained to the owner that we had a reservation for the next 6 nights and therefore would spend more than 500$ in the next week in the surfcamp. He told us that the sunloungers were reservated to the guests and therefore we could only use them if we paid 5$ per day. When I told him that, regarding the money we would spend in the next days, it would be customer friendly to give us the sunlounger for free, he told me that they are always booked out and he don´t give guest with reservations free sunloungers!!!
Very positive about the management was, that the manager Rocco gave a ride on our last day, so we could catch the first bus in Santa Catalina. He got up early and picked us up at 7am!

Unfortunately the restaurant is very slow. On Easter Saturday the restaurant had 20-25 guests. We ordered Pasta Pesto. After 1 hour!!! the waitress told us that they didn´t have any Pesto. We had to wait another hour to get our dinner. In total we waited 2 hours!!! They told us that it was high season and therefore everything is a bit slower. 25 meals in 2 hours seemed to be a great challenge.

Although I have said some negativ things about the management and the restaurant I still highly recommand the surfcamp. The price-value of the cabins is good and the location is awesome. You shouldn´t miss Oasis Surfcamp.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Oasis Surf Camp? Share your experiences!