“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Claregalway
Ireland
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2007

Stayed in the Claregalway Hotel for 2 nights last May. Staff are superb, so friendly, nothing was too much trouble. We asked if we could get a DVD player up to our room for our young son, when we came back to the room it was there. Food was lovely, room was very large and comfortable, great atmosphere in the pub. Cannot fault this hotel at all and would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Nice comfortable room
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple

265 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

I stayed in the Claregalway for 2 nights last May. I arrived in Galway late having came from Dublin. When booking, I was told the price was Euro 189 for the room as it was the last room. I thought when booking it must be a good hotel because it is nearly as expensive as the Raddison. yes, Raddison prices, but certainly not raddison standard. After going to the room, which i finally go to after walking down dingy corridors, I decided to go to the bar for a drink. I was met by a barrage of noise, there was a wedding in full swing, a band in the lounge and three tvs blasting. So having recovered from that assault on my ear drums, I decided to ask for a bag of tayto from behind the bar. I was told, i had to go to a vending machine down in the basement. I decided to leave it, I was tired and certainly not about to fumble for change at some vending machine in a hotel that Charges almost Euro 200 for a room. Basically I did not sleep either of the two nights from noise from weddings both nights. The breakfast was a shockingly deep fried basic selection, one flavour of yogurt and the most awful juices, no muesli. I could go on here but I would basically not encourage anyone to stay in this hotel. The price is unbelievable, I handed over almost 400 euro for 2 nights. The week before I stayed in the Marriott for 2 nights and my bill was Euro 240. The service and standard in the Marriott was unbelievably superior. I did complain by mail and at the desk when checking out. I was told 'so you got no sleep for 2 nights, oh, sorry about that'. To my email, I got a response of 'we will take your comments on board, thank you'. A bit lame I think. I wouldnt encourage parting with your money to stay in the claregalway, get a b & b if you need to be in the area. By the way my list of complaints is cut down here, there were more but I wont go into it. by the way the staff were all really nice and i wouldnt have complaints about them. I would complain about the cheek of the price for the sub standard service

• Liked — Nothing special.
  • Disliked — The Raddison Price for sub standard facilities
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Longford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

Stayed in this hotel from April 20th to April 22nd for my husbands 40 birthday. From the moment we walked into the hotel to the moment we walked out the staff were so friendly. Had both of our meals in the hotel and the food was brillent and we had a young polish girl serving us at our table and she was so nice. She even bought my husbands dessert with candals in it and sang happy birthday to him and offered to take photo of us. That to me was above and beyond the call of duty. Even the bouncer were friendly and chatty. I will be recommending this hotel to all my firends and it was also fantastic value for money

• Liked — immaculate and very spacious
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights Easter week and was very impressed. On arrival with my elderly mother, the receptionist took one look at us and without any prompt from me asked us to take a seat for a moment so she could rearrange our room as we had been allocated a double bed instead of twin (I hadn't specifically booked a twin) and she thought we'd be more comfortable with our own beds! We ended up in a huge triple room. What a great first impression.
Huge room all very clean and modern, lovely leisure centre, excellent dinner in first class restaurant, topped off by lovely friendly helpful staff.
Hotel is about 7 miles from Galway city so good location if you have a car, but a bit out of the way if not. Good scenic drives round cliffs of moher and the burrren in one day, then connemara a second day.
Hotel just beside a couple of corner shops so very handy for picnic supplies.
Couldn't fault anything and would definitely recommend it. Excellent all round and how nice to meet lovely enthusiastic staff. First class.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Location would be a disadvantage if no car
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

I was fortunate enough to stay here for a couple of nights during the New Years celebrations. I have travelled around and have stayed in many hotels but i have never come accross staff so friendly. Each and every one of them were helpful and friendly at all times, whether it be first think in the moring or late at night. The facilities were also great as was the food. I would definatly recommend this hotel as not only was it great but also very affordable.

• Liked — The friendliness of staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2006

Stayed in this hotel at Easter. Very reasonably priced given the standards and facilities.
Rooms are spacious and clean. Leisure facilities are really good too. Small point about the jacuzzi being on a timer. It goes on and off on a 10 minute recurring interval which is a bit annoying, but in fairness, that is a minor quibble. Dinner in the restaurant was good. Breakfast was a traditional Irish fry-up. Very tasty. Reception staff were very helpful. Real selling point was the bar/lounge. The bar is as all hotel bars should be. Spacious and comfortable, with good TV screens for sport. Easy access to Galway city by taxi, which costs 12-15 euros. Really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

what a hotel it was such a modern hotel room spacious, staff really friendly, bar is relaxing, restaurant food was to my standards but my boyfriend loved it i can be picky with my food. we ate in a place just up from the hotel on the 2nd nights it was lovely. its a nice little town and just minutes from galway city. shocked that it didnt get a least 4 stars. really one to stay in if looking for nice room & friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!