“Decent restaurant” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Beautifully located over the Mill Run of the River Nadder, in the old village of Harnham, just 10minutes walk from Salisbury centre. Five centuries old, this once working Paper Mill, is now the perfect location for a lunchtime snack, meal with friends or romantic dinner. This fantastic building retains many of the old features, in both the restaurant and bar area. Open fires can be enjoyed throughout the ground floor, to add to the old world ambiance of this wonderful pub/restaurant. Through the warmer months, you can dine outside, in the most spectacular garden where every seat has a waterside view. Relax in the sun and allow us to treat you with our freshly prepared barbeque menu, delivered straight from our newly introduced charcoal ovens. The Old Mill Hotel has benefitted from a full refurbishment throughout in November 2014, to showcase the stunning nature of this iconic building in its' full glory.
“Decent restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2015

the food and service were average. I enjoyed the restaurant decor. The outdoor area service was very slow.

Visited April 2015
OldSarumHotelsLtd, Owner at The Restaurant at the Old Mill, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Dear Gerald

Thanks for eating at the Old Mill and taking time to leave a review. I'm glad that you generally had a good time with us, but please accept my apologies for delays in service. We were aware of some frustrations on this day due to staffing issues that we are rapidly working through.

Thanks you for your visit.

Kind regards
Owner

“Not good. Not good at all.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

This has everything required to be a brilliant establishment - a beautiful setting on the river, a lovely new garden area with outside bar, and an olde world bar area for indoor seating.
Unfortunately, this establishment has been under new management in recent months and is now a massive disappointment. In the handful of times I have been here recently, I have been met by the same 2 female members of staff who are both incredibly miserable. I tried the IPA the first time I visited and returned the pint because it was flat and tasteless. I was told that is how it always is and how it's meant to be served - having run a bar with several real ales, I knew the drink wasn't right and changed it for something else and was charged for my new drink.
The next time I stopped here was with friends last week, I avoided the IPA. I had an abbot ale, which was ok. Not good, not bad, just ok.
Today I visited with a friend and it'll be the last time I ever go there again. The same miserable, slow paced staff, serving me as if I was an inconvenience to them.

I would suggest the new management takes a good look at their staff and considers offering proper training in customer service, or replacing them with someone who knows how to smile at people, and be polite, friendly, and welcoming. I would also suggest that training is given in how to keep real ales.

OldSarumHotelsLtd, Owner at The Restaurant at the Old Mill, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear wiltsguy

Please let me apologise for the unfriendly welcome that you have received upon visiting our pub. The welcome that you describe is completely unacceptable and very embarrassing for me.

As you can see from a wide variety of reviewers across various websites, our staff are very regularly complimented for their friendliness and welcoming nature. We do indeed pride ourselves on our customer care and natural approach to making customers welcome. I'm so sorry that this has not been your experience.

I will contact you privately to try to resolve this situation and hopefully welcome you back to our pub.

As regards the real ale, we are Cask Marque accredited, which indicates our commitment to providing a choice of quality well kept ales. As owners, we are also very keen real ale drinkers, so understand a good pint. As a result, we check our ales daily for quality and have seen our ale sales increase dramatically in the months since acquiring the business.

I'm sorry that you had a poor pint of IPA. As a former licensee, you will be aware that on occasion, at the end of a barrel, real ale may not be at it's best. This should be quickly remedied by our team. I'm very sorry that this was not the case on this occasion.

I hope that we can get in contact and make amends for your poor experience.

Kind Regard
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Service and food disappointing compared with 1st visit”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

I've previously rated this restaurant 5*, but today was very different...

MENUS
I was given an out of date wine menu. It was a lovely day and there was some charcoal cooking outside - there was a BBQ menu in addition to the standard one (which we were not made aware of or offered) and the only reason I knew to ask was because I heard the table next to me discuss it.

FOOD
I ordered steak, patatas bravas & salad (from the BBQ menu). The steak was lovely. The salad turned out to be a bean salad with cous-cous which were both bland & freezing cold - misleading when advertised simply as salad & a very poor accompaniment to a steak. The Patas Bravas was tomatoey and undercooked and in no way spicy.

WINE
Despite our request for wine to be served with the main course (a glass each of 2 separate wines), it arrived some time after we received our mains. The waitress could not even pronounce the wines on arrival so we didn't know whose was whose until she offered us a look at the chit on her tray

We accepted the offer of water early in the proceedings and given water glasses but no water ever materialised.

Once we indicated our wish to pay it took 15 mins and a reminder to achieve this!

FEEDBACK
I asked to see the person in charge of service for a quiet chat to the side of the restaurant and gave the feedback, expressing my desire for them to succeed and my previous great experience. He apologised and indicated that with the better weather they had needed more staff and these weren't fully trained yet. I hold out hope it improves back to their previous standards but with other great restaurants in the Salisbury area it may be some time before I return to see.

• Visited April 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
OldSarumHotelsLtd, Owner at The Restaurant at the Old Mill, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear James

Thank you for your return visit to the Old Mill Hotel. Let me apologise for the poor experience that you had on this occasion. I can off no excuse, but simply a wholehearted sorry.

We were overwhelmed on the day by the very high demand and as a result, some of our customers suffered. As I said in my personal message to you, we have identified the areas of weakness and are working by hard to rapidly put them right.

We hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress and thank you for your patience on the day.

“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015 via mobile

I have lived close to this pub/ hotel for a number of years and eaten here on several occasions. During this time there have been 3 different owners. I took my dad and step mum as the pub has recently been taken over and a beautiful garden outside bar area has been created. The food is reasonably priced but the service and meal were disappointing. We ordered 3 roast dinners and one burger. We sat in the resturant apposed to the bar but waited for 15mins and then requested menues which were eventually brought to us. The waiting staff struggled to answer basic questions such as the beers available and when the food came the 3 roasts were brought to the table and the burger took another 10mins to arrive. I personally had the beef and it was warm not hot - and overlooked. My partner had the burger and he too found it to be not hot enough - overall a bit of a let down would not recommend.

Dear smartiesryum

Thank you for visiting the Old Mill, I'm very pleased that you like our new riverside garden area.

Please accept my apologies for your disappointing experience. We had an extremely difficult service as I have stated in a previous response and some of our customers were let down. I'm sorry that you visit was impacted.

I have taken your feedback very seriously and will be working with the management team to eradicate the issues as quickly as possible.

Thanks again for your visit.

Woking, United Kingdom
“wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2015

we had a great night here , it has good staff, class food , good wine, a varied menu. I had whitebait as a starter which was cooked perfect . off the special's board my wife chose the chicken and I had ribeye steak with blue cheese sauce both were cooked as we had asked and were well presented. our server terri was so helpful friendly and cheerful. we had an amazingly good bottle of rioja our 2nd choice as the last bottle of shiraz had been sold.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear sunshineman

Thank you for your very kind words about our restaurant. I'm delighted that you enjoyed yourself on this special occasion.

We hope to see you again soon.