“Amsterdam break” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alex Rooms

You added Alex Rooms to your Saves list
Alex Rooms
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Dennenlaan 80, 1161 CS Zwanenburg, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Zwanenburg B&B and Inns
merseyside
“Amsterdam break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Collected by free "shuttle" at airport and taken to hotel. Room was excellent and suited perfectly.
We travelled to Amsterdam by local train (6 euro return for two of us at discount rate for pensioners). We also went to Haarlem and Zandvoort from same station for similar cost. The Rijksmuseum was superb on the Tuesday but the Van Gogh Museum on Thursday was overcrowded and uncomfortable. We ate locally in Zwanenburg which has Dutch, Italian and Chinese restaurants but we didn't notice any local bars. We had to pay for return shuttle to Airport as only available for free until 11.30am on day of departure. This cost 25 euro. Only other option was train to Amsterdam and then on to Airport but not practical as you have to carry your bags about.
Would consider stopping at Alex Rooms again as you get a more Dutch feel than staying in central Amsterdam

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room as you get a large balcony. Downstairs rooms have access to the garden bu...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for only a night. Choosed here because it is near to the airport and most of all this 'hotel' (It is actually a resident house) provides free transport to-and-flo the Schiphol Airport.

Room is very clean and stylish, with a very clean and nice shower room- shower is good! The staff whom was on duty during our stay was exceptionally helpful and friendly. The bed is very comfortable, we all slept well that night.

The town is very quiet (but sweet) with 2-3 supermarkets around. There are also some shops to stroll. But restaurants are very limited.

It is nice to go down to Haarlem/ Amsterdam for shopping or for food. Not by bus!! The bus never come after we waited for an hour, we took train (Sprinter) instead. Train stop is about 20 min walk from the hotel.

I highly recommend this hotel to everyone whom like a quiet place to stay. Simply lovely!

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Turku, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Alex Rooms is an interesting hybrid. Run like a hotel, it is located in an ordinary house along an ordinary street in Zwanenburg, which is close to the airport. It has an intimate feel while having all the comforts one would expect of a hotel.

The surroundings are peaceful as Zwanenburg is mostly a commuter village for Amsterdam. Alex Rooms stands out from the other buildings only thanks to a small sign. Keep an eye on the house numbers or you'll walk past it.

The owner was quite welcoming. He showed me to my room personally, pointed out all the facilities, asked me if I needed to be driven to the airport, if I needed maps, etc. It should be noted that Alex Rooms does not have an "official" shuttle service. It is a very small operation, so everything is handled on a needs-be basis. That means you need to get in touch with the hotel to get your ride. Hotels.com gave me all the necessary contact information when I reserved my room.

The room I had (number 6) was small, but this is the Netherlands, they are always small. It was comfortable and clean though, and had a lot of personality. I would guess all the rooms are different, thanks to the architecture. The door was a little on the thin side, but thankfully nobody was being noisy. I also had a nice balcony that was bigger than my room was. Good place to eat breakfast when the weather allows for it.

The bathroom was also clean and modern, and the shower had a variety of massage options, which can be nice after a long day. I felt like I was visiting a friend at their house, but I had all the privacy one expects from a hotel.

I would definitely recommend Alex Rooms. It is a great alternative to staying in Amsterdam itself, because Amsterdam hotels tend to be fairly old and the rooms there are even smaller and much more expensive. Zwanenburg is a quick train ride away from Amsterdam, but the train station is not quite next door, so don't stay here if you are afraid of a little walk.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

After reading the positive reviews stating the location was near the airport and there was a free shuttle, we elected this "hotel" for our final night in Europe. We booked through Venere since Alex Rooms doesn't seem to have their own website (I try to book directly whenever possible). Venere did not have the direct phone number, email address, or fax number for the property (which I unfortunately did not notice until it was too late). Upon arrival at the airport, we went to the hotel shuttle pick-up section and looked at the boards to find Alex Rooms. They weren't listed on any of the boards so we talked to the information agent who said they have never heard of Alex Rooms and don't have them listed for shuttle service. We wound up having to spend 50 Euros to take a taxi!!! Upon arrival at the hotel, we explained the situation to the owner who immediately became abusive and made remarks such as calling the airport staff "idiots", calling me "stupid", saying "he doesn't hear me in his dreams". I was literally speechless while he just kept yelling and ranting. We were actually resigned to simply accepting a ride to the airport the following day but he just wouldn't stop yelling long enough for us to say so and I was getting genuinly frightened. Eventually, he said, "What do you want? You want another hotel? Fine! Get the [--] out! Get out of my house!" and then he quite literally chased us down the hall and pushed us out of the door. We were now stranded in a foreign country, in a strange city, nowhere near town!!! Luckily, we found a sandwich shop a few blocks away that allowed us to use their wifi to look up a new hotel (this time in town by Central Station at the Park Plaza which was a MUCH better choice) and they called a cab for us. I'm so glad it worked out for us in the end but worry what it could be like for others.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Nijmegen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at Alex Rooms for one night since it was close to the airport, and this small hotel proved to be a comfortable and very pleasant place. The friendly owner (Branka) picked me up from the airport in time and brought me back the next morning at the time I chose. It was like a private taxi service, and Branka had many interesting stories to entertain me with. The (standard) room was small, but very clean and had a comfortable bed, a spacious bathroom (great shower!), and a patio. The only item I missed was a coffee/tea maker in the room, though in the hallway there was a machine that charged one euro for a cup of coffee/tea. A very nice, friendly and quiet place - so well insulated that the air planes can't be heard.. I enjoyed it so much more than staying in one of those big chain motels; Alex Rooms is more like a bed & breakfast, without the breakfast. :) A bakery and supermarket are located in the same street.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

A good value place to rest ourselves after a late evening arrival at the airport at the start of a one week holiday driving around Holland. We had booked this in advance on Booking.com and consider that we got a good deal. The location suited us on the west of the airport as our first stop was Haarlem - this place was pretty much en route. There's plenty of parking space around the back - not immediately obvious when you pitch up at the front door. We received a great welcome and a choice of two rooms which are basic and small but clean and bright and airy. We just wandered down the street in the morning and had breakfast at a local bakery at one of their pavement tables. We were able to relax and people-watch as the locals went about their business buying their bread, fruit and veg etc.

If, like us, you need somewhere to stay near the airport and are not planning to visit Amsterdam centre, then this is ideal. We would certainly stop off here again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Gillingham (Dorset)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

An overnight stay at Alex Rooms during a visit to Amsterdam. A phone call on arrival at Schipol airport and the complementary transport to Alex Rooms took 10-15 minutes. The hostess, Branka was extremely pleasant and welcoming. The room was extremely comfortable, and clean. It was lovely to relax in the whirlpool bath before retiring for the evening. The return transport to the Schipol airport was prompt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zwanenburg
Hotel Zwanenburg
4.0 of 5 stars 591 reviews
New West Inn Amsterdam
#217 of 356 in Amsterdam
3.5 of 5 stars 683 reviews

Been to Alex Rooms? Share your experiences!