“Great overnight stay near Europort” 5 of 5 stars

Savelberg Restaurant-Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   De Oosteinde 14, 2271 Voorburg, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Voorburg
lancashire
“Great overnight stay near Europort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Beautiful old building on the canal in the park of a delightful Dutch town.
Bedroom and bathroom amenities were well thought out & the complimentary sweets, water, fruit & cakes went down well.
My only criticism is lack so air con but there was a fan provided.
On the pricey side but you get what you pay for.
The meal in the restaurant ( we sat on the terrace) was superb. Service very attentive & friendly.
Paid for breakfast, which again was excellent.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

All the staff at this hotel worked tirelessly to ensure that our stay was perfect, from whisking our luggage up to our room whilst we checked in, to adjusting the lighting in the lounge when we had a nightcap. Our room was spacious and had the comfiest hotel bed I have ever slept in. The ensuite shower room was luxurious though it was lacking in surfaces to place personal toiletries. Despite the fact that the roof beams were within the room we successfully avoided bumping into them, they added to the charm of the room. Breakfasts were a delight, especially as we had time to relax and enjoy being waited on. The hotel grounds are surrounded by a small park area so it is very quiet. Voorburg rail and tram stations are a short walk via a pedestrianised shopping street which also has a number of restaurants open late into the evening.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Marlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I chose the Savelberg hotel for it's character and size with only 14 rooms. The staff are very friendly and the room was spacious and nI let furnished. The price you pay for an old building is that there is no air conditioning which wouldn't have been a problem if the windows had opened properly.With secondary double glazing and only one window opening a small amount the room became uncomfortably hot at times.
We loved the nice touches of fruit and small cakes in the room but tea making facilities would have been welcome. It was a 10 minute walk to the tram line into The Hague but there was a bus route nearer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had high hopes seeing that the restaurant is on the Michelin guide and has a star and so forth. The place is easy to find and easy to park. The staff are very friendly and professional. We opened the menu and did not really feel like ordering, as the description and all ingredients were too mixed and just simply lost the appetite. The chef has to review the basics.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I am a regular business traveller to Holland, and was recommended this restaurant for a meal with clients. The setting is lovely, very tranquil and peaceful. The staff were very attentive, and good hosts. My whole table ate the lunch menu, which is far from cheap, but manageable for a high end restaurant. The pre-starter of crab was really lovely, though maybe a little similar to the next courses of lobster salad.

All was fine until the main course. The turbot was delivered under silver domes, which were a nice touch. The waiter then came round with a white glove shaving black truffle to finish off the meal. Sadly for me he didn't just provide me with truffle shavings, but a still wriggling small maggot dropped from the fresh truffle onto my dish (which the waiter didn't notice) As the waiter finished serving my clients and colleagues their truffles, I very subtly flicked the still wriggly, but clearly tiring maggot, to one side of my plate, trying not to attract the attention of my other guests, which I managed to do. I was very conscious of not putting everyone else off their meals.

When everyone was finished (maggot had now stopped wiggling...perhaps the plate was too hot), I left the room and managed to get hold of a waiter to tell him about the addition to my meal, and suggest they stop serving that truffle at the least as it's evidently had one diner already. The waiter was very apologetic, and cleared the plates straight away, separating out mine for investigation I can only assume. The rest of the meal was uneventful, and some nice enough puddings later I went to pay. I have to say I was surprised to be charged the full bill under the circumstances, but as I was in a rush, and had clients waiting, I paid with the knowledge I could contact the restaurant later on and suggest some reimbursement was the least they could offer.

The maggot is in many senses excusable. It is fresh produce, I am a reasonable person, and although off putting I do understand these mistakes can happen. The excuse I got from the restaurant management by email response the next day, was simply not. I was politely informed that because they serve fresh food, it is possible that these things can happen, and as such they felt no fault whatsoever was to be laid on their shoulders. This is an interesting point, as given I didn't prepare the meal myself, I'm not sure what the implication is, and whose fault they could imagine it was. No discount was offered (I should add that as I wasn't paying personally, the financial impact on me either way was zero, this was about principals, and what is considered acceptable in fine dining experiences), but management I assume sarcastically hoped I would return soon.

This was an expensive lunch, at a fine dining restaurant, and wow, what a shocking attitude towards customers. The food was fine, there are many better restaurants in Holland, many worse, but if serving maggots unashamedly to customers is considered a hazard of fresh produce cooking...I think I'd rather take my chances elsewhere...

Good luck to all future diners....who knows what you will find!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Wingene, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

Thanks to a great deal I got to spend a night for business at this small hotel.
The welcome was very professional and chique with a porter.
The reservation was found quickly, introduction just as fast and up in the elevator to the room.
I got upgraded just because I asked for a king size bed. And that it was.
In fact, the entire room was huge.
An actual 4* room as opposed to rivals in the area. You could dance in the room, there was a desk, sitting area with table. Bottles of wine ready as well as some refreshments and fruit.
The bathroom was very large, with a fantastic shower and even bathrobes.
Very quiet night - marvelous.
The breakfast was very fresh and highly personally customized to your wishes, however, there is no buffet so I had to wait for 20 minutes to get my breakfast. For business, that is too long as I still had a long day to go...

The setting of the hotel is also very extraordinary: a very green and residential area.

A few things to mind:
- the room could have been warmer although they had turned the heat up already.
- the heating equipment made quite some background noise which I had to turn off to get some sleep.
- slow breakfast service - but I don't blame the servant, she was very helpful and had to do things by herself so it seemed. Maybe it would be better to just offer the basic breakfast and bring all of that to the table directly if desired.

Room Tip: I'm sure every room in this hotel is fantastic.