“No customer service, and hardly an 'airport hotel'” 1 of 5 stars

Mercure Airport Munchen
Dorfstr. 15 A 85445 Aufkirchen, Aufkirchen, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aufkirchen
Blaxland, New South Wales, Australia
“No customer service, and hardly an 'airport hotel'”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Our Mercure Hotel experience pretty much ruined our view of Germany. After getting off our flight we asked a taxi to take us to the hotel, he had no idea where it was and told us to take a bus - great start for a supposed airport hotel. The first bus driver we asked told us to hop in, charged us 10 euros and stopped at a bus stop about 15 mins away and said walk straight. We walked until it started getting dark, and after passing several more bus stops really started to get worried.
We decided to ask at a roadside tavern, and after showing an incredibly rude German woman the hotel address she told us no taxis go there. After much huffing and sighing she ended up calling the hotel who sent the shuttle bus for us, but charged us 25 euro.
Due to all the stuff-around by the time we finally arrived at the hotel, we were told the bistro had closed for the night and nothing else around was open so we would have to wait until breakfast for food.
Seeing as it was a stopover in Munich and we had to be back at the airport at 6am and were going to miss breakfast anyway, we were hungry and not impressed. We asked for a 5:30am wake up call and for the airport shuttle to be booked. Not having much faith in the receptionist's customer service skills, we set our own alarm anyway. Lucky we did, as the offered wake-up call never came.
This was our first Germany experience, and we are sorry that our view of the country and people was not favourable. We found the people rude and unhelpful and the airport and its surroundings not very traveller friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

The title sums it up really - if you HAVE to be close to the airport then this was a decent enough place to stay, but there are some caveats...

Ok, first off, I'm not sure exactly what defines an 'airport hotel'. In Edinburgh, Manchester etc, this means a hotel pretty much on the airport, which would seem to make sense. This was however a good 10 minutes or more in a taxi (driven by the most obnoxious mercenary I have had the misfortune to meet anywhere, let alone in Germany), so you can add 25 Euros to the cost of your stay. As this is the only time in recent years I have stayed at an 'airport hotel' I really can't say whether 144 Euro for B&B (+ 25 Euro to get there) represents good value for money: compared to other airport hotels, it quite possibly does - compared to the hotel I stayed at the following night (Fischerstueberl near Wasserburg - see my other review) it certainly does not.

My room was about 10 m from a fairly busy road, so thankfully I always travel with earplugs; in fairness the window is very sound-proofed, but it would have been nice to let the heat out a bit without fear of traffic keeping me awake...

As the title says though, the hotel was pleasant enough and the staff were helpful and friendly. I had a work colleague meet me in the morning and the staff were happy to supply us with coffee as we worked. I say worked, but the internet (that has to be paid for) was a bit lame, so despite best efforts we were unable to do so. My room was a family room - bright, clean and definitely spacious - so spacious in fact that it could really do with a larger TV to be able to see it from the bed... Everything worked, and so though I was bordering on a 3 star rating (as there was nothing hugely special, and it cost a lot in my (Scottish!) mind), there was really nothing apart from the aforementioned points to mark it down for, so 4 stars it is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was a good choice for an economical overnight stay after an evening arrival at the airport. It was easy to find after collecting our car and following a Google map. The triple room was comfortable with two large beds and we enjoyed the breakfast @ €15 each. The member of staff was happy to cook a fresh supply of bacon which went down well!

Room Tip: Room 111 was very comfotable
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hampton Roads
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

The Mercure’s my hotel for a short overnight stay at Munich Airport. I arrive after dark and leave before light, so what can I tell you?

The hotel is about 5 miles from Munich airport, for which inconvenience I get a better room rate. I arrive in Terminal 1. If you do the same, and you’re not hiring a car, the taxis and hotel shuttle service are down the walkway on your right as you enter the arrivals hall. I choose the hotel’s airport shuttle and so proceed to Bus Stop 11—the stop for all the hotel shuttles—where I see that I should have booked my shuttle in advance (on the Mercure’s web site I saw that I must pay to use their shuttle—€15 each way when I take it—but I didn’t see I have to book). No problem. The hotel’s phone number is on the bus stop’s information board and they send the shuttle for me on demand; it takes about 15 minutes to arrive.

On check in, the hotel confirms, as their web site indicated, that the restaurant is open until 11 pm; the bar is closed but I can get a drink in the restaurant if I wish. (I check out the restaurant later and am directed there via a winding path of subterranean corridors, past windows onto some sort of swimming pool that appears to have been converted for dive training, past the closed bar and up some stairs to the restaurant. The hotel’s wi-fi doesn’t operate there and I need to work, so it’s back to my room). I head up to my room on the second floor which, misleadingly, is in the 300 series. No matter. The room entry is an old mortice lock; none of your smart cards here. Into the room and try to turn on the lights. Nothing, until I figure out that I have to insert my metallic card into a slot near the main light switch— that’s the first time I’ve had to do this using a non-plastic card without a magnetic strip or smart chip.

With the lights on I can see what I’ve got: a standard, business-traveller-sized room. It’s warm despite the -5 deg centigrade temperatures outside, but there’s no air con so I can’t say how things are in the summer. The room is also quiet and remains so throughout the night. As I enter, there’s an open wardrobe on my left, containing a personal safe (without instructions) a few hangars and no iron or ironing board. A good-sized bench for my suitcase is on the opposite wall and there’s a reasonable-sized desk with comfortable desk chair and an overhead light. Tea/coffee facilities also sit here, with the usual stingy provision of coffee—and no sugar. The television is small¬—15 to 17 inches I’d say¬—so plan to watch it from the desk, as there is no other chair in the room and you’ll need a telescope to watch it from bed. I hook up to the wi-fi (€3.95 for 24 hours; good speed and signal) and get on with my work.

When I’m done and get ready for sleep, I note the floor’s wood-effect laminate covering that is clearly new and is not cold underfoot. The bathroom is also recently installed. Like a bath, I have to step up and into the shower. The shower pressure is good and the water plenty warm. Unfortunately the shower head is fitted so close to the wall that it’s hard to get a good angle—I quickly adjust the shower curtain as water starts spraying everywhere. Most annoying, though, it clearly looks like the room cleaning staff have bodged a broken piece of the shower back into place rather than get maintenance in to fix it. The effect is that the shower will only sit at the bottom of the shower rail, because the friction device is broken. Not good, since I am about 185cm (6ft plus). Also the hot and cold water is produced in opposite directions to that shown on the tap. Freeze or fry! Tut, tut Mercure. New staff attitude and shower maintenance required. The bathroom also contains a fixed hairdryer, with a good mirror and lighting available. At last making it to bed, I find that the double has 2 single duvets and very soft pillows. There’s no alarm clock, though. The mattress is fine and I have a good night’s rest.

I might stay at the Mercure again, but only on travel and not for more than a night or 2 at most. I’d also look at alternatives, and consider the Mercure’s true cost (ie, add in the €30 for hotel shuttle) when comparing the hotel with others on airport or with free shuttle.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We spent one night here and found it difficult to find as we didnt have a satnav. I would tend to regard airport hotels as being on the airport property which this definitely was not. The hotel rooms were very clean and huge - really liked the layout. The receptionist was quite grumpy on arrival in the evening but a much more pleasant staff on during the day. There was plenty of choice for breakfast and the opportunity to sit out on the balcony was nice. The bar set-up was really strange - we wandered along corridors and could not find any staff to serve us a drink but eventually found the restaurant (in the diving centre) who were really pleasant and helpful. A good stop-over hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Belmont, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night for a business trip - I like German hotels in general and this one is no exception. It is clean, neat and modern and the room is small but has everything that one would need for a business stay. Breakfast is good and the restaurant is relatively nice. The hotel is located across the road from a railway track but the noise impact is limited. Hotel is a 10-min taxi ride from the airport (no shuttle provided).

The level of service leaves a little room for improvement. The staff are very friendly and helpful in general but service can be slow. When I asked for an ironing board, I was told to pick it up from the lobby (not what I expected but may be the norm in Germany). There was a line waiting for check-out the 2nd morning but the the 2 persons at the front desk were taking their time attending to other trivial matters while keeping the guests waiting.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2010

I had booked 2 double rooms about 2 weeks before we arrived. We arrived at 3.15 pm to try and check into our room. After a long wait we were told that we had no room and they were phoning round to find us one. I suppose even in the modern age it is possible to over book but there was no interest in our plight not even an apology. We were met with complete disinterest. The staff were dismissive of my questions. We were eventually shunted off to a hotel that did not have the same facilities and that was situated in the middle of an industrial state not a village with restaurants shops etc. Not having a car (then) this limited our options. Mistakes can happen but one expects a little consideration when they do. I have sent the hotel a message detailing my disquiet but not surprisingly they haven't replied. Regards.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mercure Airport Munchen? Share your experiences!