I cannot believe most guests seem to think this is the "perfect place for a stopover". I would rate it between poor and average, and mark it up to average overall because there are a few positives and I don't want to be unkind to the staff, who are very nice (apart from the man I spoke to regarding a wake up call!) I suppose it depends on the sort of hotels you tend to stay in. In my opinion, this is an adequate place to rest your head if you really have to stay somewhere near Girona airport in order to catch an early plane. I certainly wouldn't like to stay here on my honeymoon.
The plus sides are as follows: the approach to the hotel is pleasant - nicely cared-for gardens and a good sized outdoor swimming pool at the rear. There is very little airport noise, even with the train running close by. First impressions are good, but unfortunately the positive impression does not last too long.
The rooms are of a good size and have a separate lavatory to the bathroom. Unfortunately that's about where the pluses end - I can honestly say this loo did not smell clean at and I was very squeamish about using it. While the communal areas of the hotel are pleasant enough, the room itself was very institutional feeling, with a long desk area which was more like a room at a boarding school than a hotel. Contrary to what was advertised, there were no tea and coffee facilities in the room and these did not seem to be offered in the room service menu (which was expensive, I thought) either.
On to the quality of sleep. Well, the big minus for me was the square pillows. If you are more a normal sized person, the bed simply becomes too short as you shuffle down the bed to get to the right part of the pillow to be comfortable! Also there was only one sheet on the bed and when I went to find additional bedding, the blanket (which would have been the thing to choose, weight-wise) smelt HORRIBLE so I had to go for a winter duvet, which meant I baked all night long. This did not have a cover on, so I was reluctant to put it on the bed as I wasn't sure how hygienic it would be. Disappointing, as it is September and nights can get chilly in Girona province. But the most annoying thing about the room is the fact that there are two lights positioned directly above the bed, which flash every SECOND - presumably smoke alarms - and really, honestly, they are intrusive, even when you have your eyes closed. I'm all for safety, but this is really annoying and really did keep me awake, which was not part of the plan!
The hotel is a few minutes' drive from the airport and all the staff I came into contact with were polite and friendly. The shuttle bus did seem to be free, although there were rumours of charges. This runs every half hour and was very prompt.
I did not have experience of breakfast, so can't comment, but overall I'm not sure I would choose to stay here again. It wasn't bad value for money, but they need to clean the bedding and bathrooms much more thoroughly. And make sure that they deliver what they are actually advertising.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Novotel Girona Aeropuerto is located close to Girona Airport, 12 km from the centre of Girona, only 30 minutes from the famous Costa Brava and 45 minutes from Barcelona and the French border. This 4 star hotel is ideal for business and leisure travel, featuring 81 rooms, a restaurant, bar, an events room, terrace area and a recently renovated swimming pool. Free secure outdoor parking. Free shuttle service to and from the airport (phone 972477100 to request this service). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Girona Aeropuerto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Girona Aeropuerto Hotel Riudellots De La Selva
- Novotel Hotel Girona Aeropuerto
- Girona Aeropuerto Novotel
- Riudellots De La Selva Novotel
- Girona Aeropuerto Province Of Girona/Riudellots De La Selva