“Fantastic campsite in a great area” 5 of 5 stars

La Carabasse
Avenue de la Mediterranee, 34450 Vias, France   |
Ranked #1 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Vias
Glasgow
“Fantastic campsite in a great area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Just back from 19 wonderful days at La Carabasse with Siblu and cannot fault the site.
Our pitch was perfect - only a 10 minute stroll to the beach - and the mobile home was spotlessly clean. We also had plenty of shade if the sun got too much.
Although a large site, mobile homes at La Carabasse are privately owned and each pitch has its own homely character. Pitches are well positioned in a relaxed manner and there are plenty of trees and colourful shrubs to provide screening.
The site was ideal for our 14-year-old son, who made friends quickly and spent many happy hours playing football on the well-kept sports pitch. In the evenings, he was afforded more freedom than you’d normally expect to give a teenager on holiday as we knew he was safe and the site is secure, so he had a great time once he’d shaken off his parents.
Judging by how busy the clubs for younger kids were, it seem the site is ideal for families of all ages.
La Carabasse has a splendid pool complex which boasts a host of activities (aquagym, water polo) and which, at 50m, is long enough to get in some pretty challenging lengths if you’re feeling energetic of a morning (we found it was quiet enough to do this up until as late as 10.30am).
The onsite shop was well stocked, with its own butcher counter selling good quality fresh meat, pates and roast chickens. There was also a baker selling delicious fresh bread, cakes and pastries and a grocer stocked with local fruit and veg.
There is also a market in Vias Plage every Monday where you can buy local produce – the fresh mussels and oysters are a must (and very cheap).
To wash down all this lovey food, visit the caves five minutes down the road from the campsite entrance. There you can fill up with local wine for as little as €1.20 a litre for a remarkably smooth red table wine. Don’t forget to hang on to some empty plastic water bottles for this purpose.
The old town of Vias is a 20 minutes on foot or a short bus trip away. The bus leaves from outside the campsite and was always on time.
Vias boasts a busy morning market (more amazing oysters), quaint cobbled streets and some pleasant restaurants selling good-quality food. We were lucky enough to secure the last table for dinner at L’Amandine restaurant on Friday during the local jazz festival and had a splendid evening.
From Vias you can take a bus to Agde (very pretty town on the L’Herault river well worth a visit) and from there on to Pezenas and Cap Agde. There is also a train station at Agde, with trains connecting with services to Beziers, Narbonne, Montpellier and Carcassonne.
You can’t help thinking that the world really is your oyster ...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
maidstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

We have had lots of camping holidays in the Vendee but decided to go to the south of France this year as it was only myself and husband travelling this time, and we were not dissappointed. On arrival the reception team were very proffessional and welcoming. I am not sure if it was because we were a couple but we were upgraded to an excellence with terrace.I was not happy having to leave a cleaning deposit and then to be told that the accommodation would inspected on departure between 9 and 10. I knew this would not fit in with our homewood journey so I just had to leave credit card detail and hope that they didn't find any faults with the accommodation on our departure. (They didn't as I got an e-mail from them two week after I got back to let me know that the cleaning fee would not be taken from my account, not that I could have done anything about by then anyway, my word against theirs!)
I cannot fault the accommodation, it was first class,everything looked brand new and it was positioned in the best part of the park. The air con was a blessing as we experienced a heat wave whilst there and the terrace was fantastic for eating out in the evenings.
We only used the onsite resaurant once whilst there and found it to be just O.K. there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance just outside the park.
The onsite shop was very well stocked but a bit pricey, once again there is a supermarket just down the road with a bit more choice and the prices were cheaper. The fruit and veg stalls outside the park was exceptional value for money.
The swimming pools were excellent, although a bit on the cool side. We were there in early July apart from one day had no problem getting a sun bed. On the one day that we didn't get a free one we had to pay 2.5euros each for one (in all the years that i have been on holiday in France I have never had to pay for a sun bed so I was not impressed)
We would have used the beach more if there had been a shuttle service to La Carabasse Beach Club. Its too far to walk and if you drive its impossible to park!!!!
We didn't go to all the evening entertainment but on the occassions that we did we thought it was better than average and it catered for all, children and adults.

We would definetely go back so overall we had a very relaxing and enjoyable holiday

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2010

Went on hol with hubby and our two kids, 7 & 12, also two other families with kids similar ages. We all had similar mobile homes, although out of the 3 of us we were lucky and had the largest site with a full veranda over the terrace, which made us more cosy on the couple of nites it rained !!
The caravans were large, well maintained with all you would need for your stay, We ran out of gas one eve and a chap came quite quickley and changed this, so it was not an issue,The campsite was pleasant, the pool was large and very clean, no smoking around the pool which was a big bonus, no cig butts on floor or discarded ashtrays, i even say this as a smoker (Oh no smoking in caravans which is nice too) The only negative about the pool there were very few FREE loungers so from about midday you either used your towell to lie on or paid 2.50 euros for a more comfy lounger. The day entertainment round the pool was fun water polo, dancing etc
The evening entertainment was a bit dismal and cause the drinks at the bar were expensive we all only watched it twice in our 2 week break.
The on site shop was good but a bit pricy. There is one bout 5 min walk into the town which we used more frequently.
The beach was quoted as 10min walk, it is more like 20mins, but well worth it when you get there, two bars/restaurants and some water sports.
Overall we all enjoyed the hol and would consider doing it again apart from the long long long drive from Calais, beware our 9.5hrs turned into 16hrs cause went on first weekend on Aug, bad bad time to travel ! like English bank hol traffic x20 !!

• Stayed August 2010
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

have been on holiday with siblu previously and had a wonderful time, decided to come to this park as had heard some fantastic reviews.............what a let down. we came in the main french school holidays big mistake as there was a group of french children deliberately targetting english children by "happy slapping" several children including our own ended up with bruises and marks on their faces. mentioned to security and to reception but in the end we ended up having to keep the children near us to stop the incidents. English bicycles were targeted for being stolen and abandoned elsewhere on the parks.6 were taken whilst we were there.Some of the security guards on the swimming pool became very selective in who they let in into the pool area, ie french no wristabands was fine english had wristbands but because not physically wrapped around the wrist no entry

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

We had a great time here. Was a bit apprehensive due to previous reviews but was pleasantly surprised when arriving at our mobile home. It was actually built in 2004 but was still in good nick. We booked the 3 bed excellence with terrace and air con (which was needed). We stayed for 10 nights. We travelled with a 10, 14 and 16 year old. There were not many English there but my two daughters managed to find friends to hang round with. The local stretch of Vais Plage is lively and there are numerous bars and restaurants to visit which are walkable from the site.
We hired a car after travelling on the TGV to Agde but one really was not needed. The roads were so busy anyway but our Sat Nav found alternative routes for us.
The site itself is quite pricey paying 4.50 Euros for a pint of beer but wine was cheap. The toilets around the pool did not always have toilet paper in them so it is a must to take take your own. The sunbeds are the white plastic type and there were not many of them, leaving large area`s around the pool empty. The alternative was to hire a sunbed (the comfy blue type) for 2.5 Euros each but when there are 5 of you this works out quite expensive. 12.5 Euros per day for us as a family. After 10 am there were never any white sunbeds free on any of the days. The pool is large and clean and the water slides are open for short spells throughout the day. My son and husband played tennis daily which was good value at 5 Euros, they used their own equipment. There were only 2 table tennis tables and could have done with more. My son is quite sporty and does not sunbathe and so these things are important to us.
The mobile home pitch was very small.We have stayed at Siblu before at one of their parks at the Vendee and the pitch was twice the size od this one. We hired a car and we had great diffuculty getting the car into the parking place next to the mobile home. The mobile home itself was clean and tidy with everything we needed but yes the pillows were for Barbie dolls. Flat and half the size of the ones at home and ONE each.
We visited the beach regularly. The children loved the water sports and they ranged from 9-15 Euros per activity. It was lovely and clean and had a toilet. Siblu have a beach bar and from 4-5pm they had a happy hour which sold pints of beer for 2.5 euros, it was very popular.
We did not use the kids club or the evening entertainment. This was mostly because 90% of people staying at this park was French.
Restaurants nearby mostly offer 3 courses for 15 Euros so good value. There is a lovely river running through Agde and we ate one night at one of the restaurants along this river which is worth a visit. It is worth going further afield to find a good place to eat.
There are so many places for the children to visit, paint balling, go-karting and within walking distance was EuroPark which is like a large fair ground, very expensive but on a Wednesday evening it is half price. Even so still pricey bit my children loved it. There are also 2 waterparks nearby but we never got to them.
It is a great area with lots to do. I would have liked more English children for mine to mix with but this is my only gripe and the sunbeds- or lack of them. I can see why all the french flock down to this area. I would go back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Wiltshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

First year with Siblu. I think we expected it to be a higher quality compared to Keycamp who we usually use as they talk about being a "Siblu only" site etc.

Great people on the front desk, although we could not leave a cheque for our damage deposit & had to leave our card details.

When we went to our caravan we were a bit disapointed. The pitches are very cramped and we had about 25cm at the back of our car to squeeze through to access our placement. Also there was not a lot of storage places, our usual caravan's have some high storage in the living area & in the bathroom which this did not. We did not have a BBQ but they sorted this quickly. A previous review mentioned pillows - ours were fine so I guess it depends on your van. We needed a new gas cylinder on day 3 although it says that they replace it before arrival & one morning we had no water (both were sorted quickly)

Our children used the Kids club a couple of times & enjoyed it - some brilliant girls in the entertainment team. We used the pool a lot. The baby pool & middle size pool were great, although you were not allowed to climb on the big circle you can see in any photo's. The large pool was really cold (we went end of July to 6th Aug). The slides were really good & had a lifeguard on them all the time, however we wished they could have been open longer. The biggest negative about the pool was there were not enough loungers, there was room for more & you could hire one for 2.5 euro's if there weren't any...for us that would have been 10 euro's a day!

The literature mentions a back door to the beach, this is actually just another route to the beach & is still quite a walk whilst avoiding all the dog poo & glass. We were not really taken with Vias Plage, although we were very spoilt with our location last year. To get to the beach you could go via the back door route or down the main road, which had a lot of glass & poo (which 3 year olds don't tend to look out for 100% of the time!). We think the Dog poo situation is more down to the French's attitude - do they not have to pick it up? We even saw someone allow their dog to do it on site and leave it.

We were located to the side of the main site & after our first weekend the barriers stayed up for the rest of the 2 weeks (although a metal barrier locks your car in at night). We were close to another site & had all the noise from that, combined with the noise from the disco from the site by the front gate. Also we were unlucky enough to be next to a couple who owned their caravan who had all the other residents over for noisy evenings every few days.

Galway ,Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Spent 1 week. Just back.Esprit living area was smaller than expected but extra space in bedroom.Very clean.Mobile home was new and spotless.Noise from campsite across the road from front gate could be heard at rear end of park where we were situated but did not affect us.Location of campsite only 10 mins to centre of Vias Plage and a 5min car drive to old town of Vias.Cash dispenser across the road, bike hire from 10-12 noon every day, Atoll restaurant - great salads and Carbonara ! Maintenance are waiting for you at mobile home before you leave reception having lodged complaint! Lorie,Thomas and Quentin were exceptionally caring, kind and knowledgable reps at reception.Any GAA fans will be delighted to know that matches are shown in Shenanigans Irish pub up in Vias town square ..and Leopardstowns and Galway races too probably! Do good food too!
Any moans?
Just four!

Even in July the pools were quite chilly! a comment from the teens
Pools are 1.60m -1.90m and the other pool is .80m. I love 1.40/1.50m to accomodate non-swimmers.
Slides should stay open longer.

In our final half hour a rep came to our caravan to check for damage and to check that delph were washed and put away, rubbish cleared and counters and grills were clean etc.Granted we were running 15 mins late and was just about finished cleaning when this lady arrived back. She came into the caravan and proceeded to point out things to me that I needed to do ...A little dust on te floor madam.She rubbed her index finger across the outside of the oven door as the sun shone on a little dust on it. Excuse me madam and she took kitchen paper,wet it and proceeded to clean said item.She rubbed her finger around the counter to check also. She checked to see if there wes sand etc on the seats.Luckily for me I had that job alredy done or I think I may have been guillotened!
She stood within a hairs breath of me looking over my shoulder while I dried the cutlery to I suppose check that they were sparkling!
I got my deposit back.
Have siblu cut back on cleaning staff and the now want the clients to do the cleaning for the next family to move in? I am 10 years camping with Siblu and other companies and I have never had my deposit witheld. I am of the 'she who washes the floor b4 we leave' brigade.A friend (also staying in the campsite) who was waiting for me thought this lady was rather rude.

Unluckily I had to deal with the same girl at reception and asked for directions just b4 we left and she told me she did not know as she did not live in the area. I asked her to look up the internet for me which she did but she said she couldnt find it...i HAD ALREADY FOUND IT ON THE NET THE PREVIOUS EVENING BUT access to intenet cafe only opens at 5pm and this was 11.00am.It was a pity and as as a result I score four out of five for service. Overall A FANTASTIC site !
ps Luna park across the road and Aqua land is a 15 minute drive away in Cap d'agde.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to La Carabasse? Share your experiences!