We privatised the hotel at the end of September 2012 for our wedding.
We initially loved the place - it has so much potential. Charming rooms, great location. Carol, the person I was dealing with promised that as this was our wedding they would do everything as we liked, that they were completely flexible and that their aim was to make our big day special.
Unfortunately the place and its staff let us down big time. I don't even know where to start.
First of all the whole process to arrange the wedding was extremely complicated and I felt that I didn't receive any help from their staff in setting it up. The person I was dealing with, Carol, doesn't seem to have any service orientation and instead of looking forward to the wedding celebrations it often seemed like I was in a personal battle with her. We put an option in to do it early in September, but without letting us know, she gave away that date to someone else and we had to take the last weekend in September instead. Not a good start.
Once we had confirmed the venue, they changed their terms and conditions that they previously emailed to us and we were now told that we
1. Had to have an organised breakfast on Sunday morning (which we were normally not planning to do and which added extra costs to our budget)
2.We were no longer allowed to bring our own wine and take their overpriced wine instead. In their initial T&C's it was expressively stated that BYO was allowed and chaged at Euro 8 a bottle. Again this trippled our alcohol budget (a bottle that sells at the supermarket for euro 11 is charged at Euro 36 a a la carte)
3. We had to have the canape reception at their property and were no longer allowed to do it around the pool area
They also told us that we had to take black chairs for the reception dinner and not the white chairs they originally promised. If we wanted to have anything else we would need to pay for it (which we did).
The hotel was closing down for the winter the week after and I felt that f.e. the garden wasn't as tidy as at the beginning of the year. Because of this we were also told that we had to buy any surplus wine off them that wasn't consumed, so we ended up paying Euro 28 per bottle for Euro 11 bottles, which we had to transport from France to the UK, for wines that weren't even consumed at their premises.
On the day itself we discovered:
1. The service personal we were paying for (yes you have to pay extra if a champagne reception for 80 people requires more than 1 waiter - which it does!!!) were not actually there, but were added to the bill.
2. The wine that was served to us at the wedding wasn't the one we actually had ordered but a much cheaper version of it, but charged at the same price.
3. They ordered exactly the amount of tableclothes that we had tables, but the tables were already set at lunch time for the dinner service, so the tableclothes got dirty (kids eating Nutella and spilled wine). Instead of putting them into the wash or getting additional tablecloths, we discovered that they dirty areas were actually covered up by napkins for the dinner service. We had to argue with them to get them washed in the afternoon (something that every restaurant would do naturally).
All in all, I now hate the place and I hope I never need to return there. If you are planning to organise a wedding here (or even only stay as a hotel guest), I can only advise you not to do it. Stay at nearby Ousteau de Baumaniere instead. They charge the same room rates, their service is professional and the property upkeep is way better.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.