“Very unhelpful...” 1 of 5 stars

Domaine de Naujan, 33420 Saint-Vincent-de-Pertignas, France   |
London, United Kingdom
“Very unhelpful...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I arrived on 11-09-2012 for a night stay - business trip - I was told I could not checked in as too early (midday, the check in at 14:00 pm). That day - Monday - the restaurant was closed and I had to take a 'take away' at lunch time as I did not have possibility to go to eat out as I had no car. No dinner therefore available.
The following day a long argument as I had to leave at 8:00 am and no breakfast before 08:00 am was available!
I asked about Wi-fi but it did not work in the room...not informed in which area I should have connected.
Very unfriendly, very rigid and very unhelpful. Avoid

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Saint Colomb de Lauzun, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We decided to book into a nice hotel for my birthday dinner and found this one on booking.com. Price was about right and not too far to travel. Importantly, it had a pool - the temperature in South West France has been up to 40 degrees so a dip would be welcome.

We found the hotel quite easily, nestling amongst hectares of vineyards and with a fabulous view. It looked gorgeous. Our checking in experience however was not the most welcoming, probably because the receptionist had to deal with a small boy whilst checking us in. (This same small child proceeded to scream very loudly and unattended outside our door later in the afternoon). Our room was very well appointed, if a little on the small side for an upgraded double, but the bathroom was great. Really modern, great shower.

Our first big disappointment was the pool, well not so much the pool, which was fine, as everything around it. The beds were rusty and sad, there were weeds growing up between the decking and the whole thing just looked tired and in need of attention. There didn't seem to be anywhere to get mattresses or towels either. But then it rained, so we didn't get to use it after all.

Drinks on the terrace overlooking the valley before dinner were lovely, but with only three other groups of diners a bit short on atmosphere. The food, however, more than made up for the other shortfalls. My husband claims his tournedos of beef was the best he'd ever eaten and I had eel for the first time and adored it. The wine was wonderful - a St Emilion Grand Cru suggested by our waitress (who was very sweet and worked extremly hard) which didn't break the bank but would certainly live in our memories for a very long time. Breakfast coffee was extremely good, as were the home-made bread rolls provided with the simple but very good breakfast buffet.

This would be a wonderful hotel for a wedding or special occasion. The reception room looked gorgeous and it's the sort of hotel you could take over for a weekend. It's a shame that some areas were a little bit neglected, but with a few more guests they might be able to afford a gardener.

All round, a very interesting stay, and on the whole enjoyable - especially the dinner!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We did not stay at hotel but just had a lunch and booked for last dinner in Saint-Emilion! Price-quality relationship in this resto is almost perfect! We had the best hot foie gra in last 3 years! Crfem brule and chocolate cake where also almost perfect (my wife cooks also well but it was better!) Service was pleasant and fast!

I left with 3 cases of their 1316 wine of 2009! The best 2009 we had in one week in Saint-Emilion! If I will have some place left in my car, will go and buy some more boxes!

Room Tip: We did not stay at hotel, so we can not evaluate it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Roussent, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

This place looks amazing when you first pull up, although we were a bit stressed as it was difficult to find, satnav didn't recognise the place! We stayed outside the main building in a suite, their best room.It had no tea&coffee facillities,no complimentary water, no tissues, no full length mirror,2 lights out in the bathroom, no plug in the sink as pop up broken so my wedding ring fell straight down the waste! Luckily my husband retrived it! It is very remote so we had booked dinner at their restaurant and wanted to have a few glasses of red wine,naturally, so didn't want to drive. At about 1800 we had a phone call from reception to say the chef had, had an accident and dinner was not available! The owner reluctantly agreed to take us to a nearby village for dinner, not our choice and not to our taste. All very disappointing as it was my husbands birthday. We complained on our departure about the above and were given the French shrug and 10 euros off the bill!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

I only stayed one night but found this place charming. True the location, in the middle of vineyards and overlooking a panoramic scene is one of its greatest assetS. It was also 32 degrees centigrade on the night in question. The rooms are nicely fitted with modern bathrooms, although quite small, but that is to be expected given this must once have been a working farmhouse, I guess. Ask for a room on the valley side. Staff were pleasant. Very little English is spoken so have your phrase book ready for the menu if you don't speak French!

Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Stavanger, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

My wife and I spent 10 days here for our honeymoon in October 2010, so things may have changed since.

To be short - very beautiful place and nice staff, though it must be pointed out that since this was out of season, we were the only guests for 7 out of 10 days...

It's far from the best standard we've experienced, despite having the suite. Room was clean, beds were OK, furniture had a cheap feel to it. With so many great antiquities available in France, the least they could do was to spend some money on that instead of going to IKEA and pick up some "rustique" looking awfulness.

As a foodie, the kitchen turned out to be very disappointing. Traditional French cuisine can be amazing, but this wasn't. The meat and sauces were decent, but something you could easily cook yourself at home.

But what was the biggest disappointment was the fact that *every single main course* was served with the same cooked-to-death carrot, so bland and mushy you could puree it with your knife. Accompanied by a few soggy pieces of zucchini.

The only dish we really enjoyed was the foie gras starter, which was rather excellent.

Furthermore, the room had no fridge, nor a bottle opener. Rather odd considering the location at the heart of Bordeaux...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

If you are hooked on France, like tranquillity, beautiful scenery and excellent food check it out. Salvo the chef combines considerable culinary talent and imagination and the dinner that I enjoyed last week was wonderful. Although I did not stay at the hotel on this occasion I am sure that the accommodation would be every bit as good as the food. The owners, Hanane, Frédéric and Feinn, are kind and hospitable too.
Avril Jackson, West Wickham, Kent, England.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Chateau Isabeau de Naujan? Share your experiences!