“Ruined Pearl Anniversary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Gigantes

Save Saved
You added Hotel Los Gigantes to your Saves list
Hotel Los Gigantes
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Flor de Pascua, 38683 Acantilado de los Gigantes, Tenerife, Spain   |
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Ruined Pearl Anniversary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I chose to return to Los Gigantos to celebrate our Pearl Anniversary, having some fifteen months ago enjoyed the hotel when it was Thomson Gold standard. I had requested rooms over looking the harbour, mountains and town and was delighted that the hotel had been able to accommodate our wishes. Since our last visit the hotel had undergone a partial refurbishment and our room reflected that, it was modern and tastefully decorated a pleasant place to stay in. This was just as well, as we were about to spend a lot more time in it during our seven night stay than we would have anticipated or liked. The pool area, bar and restaurant, all had had money spent on them and superficially it looked good. Closer inspection however revealed the make over to have been poorly executed with some real quality of finish issues. Basically it’s been done in a rush, to a very tight budget and it’s apparent a lot of compromises needed to be made as the money and time allocated for the refurbishment ran out.

On our fourth night my wife developed violent sickness and diarrhoea, followed shortly after by me, neither of us was able to shake this off during the remainder of our holiday. I have not been so ill in a very long time and in fact it is only four days after returning to the UK that the symptoms are beginning to fade away. Were we just unlucky, sadly no, there were many others just like us who handed in their sickness report forms to the Thomson rep.

If you read other reviews you will find this is an ongoing problem and nothing new, it needs resolving urgently and quickly before someone with a weaker constitution than me suffers badly. Thomson’s have a duty to step in and sort this out with the hotel owners management straight away or stop sending people there.

If they are short on ideas about what to do, here’s one for free, replace all dirty glasses and cups in the bedroom on a daily basis with fresh clean crockery, rather than is the current practice of the maid cleaning dirty crockery in the room and drying with a towel which is then, no doubt, used in the next room to do the same.

I will remember my first visit to this hotel with fondness unfortunately this second visit will just remind me never to go there again

1,011 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from our three week holiday at the Los Gigantes Hotel. We have visited this hotel more than twenty times in the last thirteen years. We have now decided to say enough is enough and will NOT be returning. The bug has been around for four years but during this last visit it was rampant. Everyone we spoke to including strangers had been affected. We estimated over 50% of the guests were affected during their stay and some friends of ours had it twice. Each year we meet up with many of the same people and none of them will be returning until this hygiene problem is sorted. I'm afraid that Thomsons and the hotel management are burying their heads in the sand. The quality of the food had deteriated since our last visit in December. I agree with a recent reviewer. Despite being one of the first in the restaurant when it opened the food was mostly only warm. We had to put our food in the provided microwave each night.
There was a complete lack of fresh vegetables. Most of the time they were covered in sauces. Perhaps this is to suit our continental guests who are now visiting. The British have kept this hotel going for the last fifty years.
However I feel they are no longer going to return. We do like the new look and the location cannot be bettered.
We are really sad not to be returning but enough is enough.

• Stayed March 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed at Los Gigantes Hotel for one week from 7th to 14th March. My husband came down with a stomach bug and was in a great deal of pain from stomach cramps followed by sickness and diarrhoea. I asked reception to give the bathroom an extra clean as I didnt want to catch the bug. The cleaner came and did the cleaning. I asked her to leave me some disinfectant so I could keep going over the bathroom each time my husband used it but was told they couldnt leave cleaning products because of health and safety. I asked reception if anyone else in the hotel had the tummy bug and was told 'no'. I spoke with Sarah the rep the following morning and she confirmed there was a lot of people staying in the hotel with the bug as well as people living in the town of Los Gigantes. The day after I reported the bug the cleaner did not come to the bedroom at all to clean up. I agree with an earlier review, the tables in the restaurant were not cleaned down when vacated and unused cutlery was left on the table and left for the next people to use. The food was buffet style and left out for long periods of time. We had one or two meals that were just warm and not very hot. The veg was sometimes really hard and no real variety. In fact the food was quite boring. We were served wine one night and it had obviously gone off as smelt musty and tasted awful. The hotel is in a lovely position. Breathtaking views and very modern and clean. Bedrooms spacious. Two pools. The main pool is described as 'heated' but is icy cold. The rep told me she had received various complaints and had reported the problem but nothing was done. I enjoy swimming but was unable to go into the pool. Not many people using the pool. The elderly people staying in the hotel did not go anywhere near the pool and no wonder, it could cause a heart attack it was that cold. Los Gigantes is a lovely place. Plenty of bars, shops and cafes. The food sold throughout the town is mostly the same, fries, pizzas, salads, burgers etc. We did find a couple of lovely restaurants. We were booked in for full board but ate out some of the time due to the food being not too good in the hotel. Would go back again like a shot but have heard various reports about the hotel having had this tummy bug around for a long time. We were only there for 7 days but lost 2 days due to illness. We were told that it is due to sewage going into the sea but whether this is true, I dont know. There is obviously a serious problem which would deter us from returning unless the problem was rectified.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I have just experienced our worst ever holiday. It started at Gatwick airport with something wrong with the plane which caused a five hour delay and was followed by a baggage handlers wild cat strike at Tenerife.
On eventual arrival at the hotel some seven hours late we missed the evening meal and retreated to the room.
Two days into the holiday I was struck down with sickness and upset stomach, this lasted for 24 hours. My wife followed with the same sickness and upset stomach two days later, her sickness lasted for three days in a violent form and one week later has not fully recovered.
When reporting our ailments to the Thomson representatives they said it was not a hotel problem it was the hotel visitors who brought the virus to the hotel. We later learned that nearly everyone we talked to had been affected in one way or another, we frequently saw singles in the dining room or sitting on balconies when before there were couples. The Thomson staff were in complete denial with respect to the virus and the hotel did nothing to mitigate the risks of infection, at no time did we see any extra cleaning of rooms, door handles or lift buttons, and at no time were any of the visitors warned of the infections. We didn't want to panic the visitors was the best the Thomson reps could come up with.
Like many of the other visitors we met, this was not our first visit to Los Gigantes but it will certainly be our last.
Prior to this visit we would have recommended this hotel to anyone, unfortunately not now.
For the sake of your health steer clear.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the sea are quieter, rooms overlooking the road - take earplugs.
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Not sure where everyone else was staying but I had a great holiday with my boyfriend. I expected the clientele to be older than in the summer, its the same everywhere when you go on a winter break. Room was great, pool was amazing, entertainment was really perfect for us, hotel staff were very nice, Thomson reps were very helpful and the location was tucked out of the way but not isolated. I love, love, love the cliffs and the rolling sea. Best location on the island! Possibly come back again....

Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The views are too die for, recently refurbished the bedrooms are very spacious and beautiflly decorated. The staff are alll very attentive y couldn't do more for you.

The guests that have been going there for the last 20 years don't seem to like the change and do nothing else but moan , but just let it go over your head and you will enjoy yourselves without listening to the typical british tourist who doesn't like change.

The Duo Frankie y Jackie are amazing beautiful voices and very witty really made the evening.

All over fantastic for a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: sea view corner overlooking the cliffs breath taking
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have been to many Thomson Gold and Couples Hotels but had avoided this one because of the previous reviews. I had stayed in Tenerife once before but did not like the resort of Playa das America. As there were so much we still wanted to see decided to give the hotel a go. It was brilliant. Location is great. Not too touristy but lovely walks. Everywhere was spotless and there was no sign of illness throughout the hotel. The pools were both beautifully kept with ample sunbeds. Our room was large and airy. The entertainment in the evening was as expected - plenty of tribute bands. I honestly couldn't fault it. The free gym only had three pieces of equipment all in good order and hardly used. I'll be back!

Room Tip: I did not pay to up grade but our room was huge. 5th floor with a view of the town and harbour. No...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Los Gigantes? Share your experiences!