“nice room, inconsistent service” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Enjoy Breakfast for 4!
Brooklyn, New York
“nice room, inconsistent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hilton for 4 nights. At check-in on Wed. we were told we had a nice, renovated room, which was true, but we were surprised to find our third floor balcony overlooking the parking lot. I guess someone has to stay there, but I'd have thought that with a 4-night stay we might have been given a better location. Also, we had booked our reservation directly through the hotel well in advance. The room was fine, bed and pillows very comfortable, bathroom and toiletries well appointed. We ate at the outdoor bar the first night. Food was quite good. I had the salmon nicoise salad and my husband had one of the fish dishes, maybe mahi mahi or grouper. We reserved a bed and breakfast package and we were quite satisfied with the buffet breakfast offered. We went to the beach the next day, rented 2 chaises and an umbrella for $30 for the day and returned to our room at 4:30 to shower and get ready for the evening. The room was not yet cleaned. We noticed a housekeeper filling the fridge in our room with soda and snacks. Being that we dared not even go near that thing since there were warning signs as if it were Three Mile Island, we were concerned that we'd be charged for someone else's indulgences. She told us not to worry, that it is all controlled by a sensor and the guests who dared to open the fridge would be automatically charged since a guest's credit card is on file for at least a week, which made me uncomfortable. When I spoke to the housekeeper in the hall about the late clean-up, she suggested we request a clean-up time at the front desk. I called right away and asked for a 2PM limit. On Sat. we returned after 3, but the room was still not cleaned. A housekeeper was just outside our room knocking on an unoccupied room for cleaning. I tried to tell her that we needed our room cleaned, but she spoke NO English at all. I was able to tell her our concern in Spanish, but it appeared she did not understand the hotel's cleaning schedule (I assume it was in English). I wanted regular coffee instead of decaf, so I had to go to her cart to show her the difference in color between the 2 packages. We had to go down to the lobby to wait 20 minutes for her to clean. Sitting around waiting in a wet bathing suit wasn't much fun. The night before check-out we requested a wake up call at 7:45 am. The woman at the desk (Ellen or Helen?) even asked if we'd like a second wake-up call 5 minutes later, in case we slept through the first. We said "Of course". No wake-up call ever came. Not the first and not the second. Good thing my husband is an early riser! Had he not been, we would have missed our flight back to NY! I wonder what Hilton would have done if this had happened. Point is, if you offer a service like requesting a clean-up time or a wake-up call, you have to be able to fulfill those requests. If not, don't offer them. I complained about the wake-up issue at the front desk, and the young woman there was dumbfounded. She said she didn't know why we weren't called, but she was sorry. Hmmmm. We paid $10 for parking each night, but I figured parking and umbrella rentals are par for the course at resort hotels. The Hilton is not an inexpensive hotel, but some of their service was a bit shoddy.

Room Tip: Of course an oceanfront room would be most desirable, but if you don't want to pay for that, req...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
George I, General Manager at Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Inconsistent service is never acceptable and Iam reviewing your comments with our staff so we can make the necessary changes to our current processes; ensuring housekeeping and service issues are always addressed promptly. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you our true hospitality, should you return to Singer Island. If there is any way I can be of additional service, certainly let me know.

667 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Waterford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Just spent 7 days at the hilton on singer island. Loved the location and was extremely happy with the hilton hotel. The room was very neat and clean...loved the huge walk in shower and the bedding, pillows were very comfy. We had two balconies on the 8th floor that were amazing. The hotel staff were wonderful....especially Paula and kellie from the restaurant. The continental breakfast buffet was great, as well as our lunches at the tiki bar..try the Mahi Mahi sandwich, the grilled chicken sandwich and the seafood tacos....all great. Of course the best part was the beach...just beautiful! A great place to stay..we will definitely return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
George I, General Manager at Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
We are pleased you enjoyed your time at our hotel. The team members mentioned are noted for providing many guests with outstanding service and doing whatever it takes to satisfy customer needs. Your positive comments about the quality of our food will be shared with our culinary team. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Returned today from a 5-night stay at Hilton Singer Island Resort. First, we booked a king room and was told they were sold out (what?!) upon our Tuesday arrival and we slept in 2 double beds for the 1st two nights (2 grown folks in a double bed?). They said the best they could do was see if they could give us a king FRIDAY(!!) and they said they were full, even though the internet said king rooms were STILL AVAILABLE and when challenged, the manager wouldn't budge--so either the internet is wrong or she was not telling the truth. Who are we to argue with the Front Desk Gods who get to pick and choose who gets a crappy room vs. who gets a nice room? Also, I needed a fridge brought up for my insulin and they were out and only got one after 2 days due to the rockstar (more on him later). We are not picky and like to be left alone with the only contact from staff is greetings as we come and go. I prefer to not spend a lot of time on the phone complaining to the front desk when I could be at the beach. That said, the room we were given was on an undesirable low floor (3rd), had a huge red stain on the carpet, and we had to call housekeeping to vacuum someone else's toenail clippings (yeah, GROSS), not to mention a lovely view of the parking lot. Seriously, for a 5-night stay? The room also has a very dangerous deal with the shower--it surges from "normal" temp to SCALDING HOT while showering. The engineer said to leave the shower running for 1 minute to see if that would resolve the issue. It didn't of course--the trick was to jump back out of the water stream every other minute--very dangerous for anyone, particularly children or seniors and it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. On Thursday, after asking about a room change for a king bed, one did suddenly become available sooner than Friday, which was great. We told the nice gentleman who helped us move rooms (7th floor, pool/ocean view) about the issues with the previous room (mainly the shower that never got resolved) and it was HE (a true rockstar!) who had the general manager call us and the next thing you know a comp fruit basket & 2 waters was brought up. Big deal. What would have been more appropriate and more appreciated to have been upgraded to an ocean front room with a real deck instead of a walkout to make a wrong a right, not a fruit basket that we didn't even eat. By the way, our new room had ants in the bathroom (at least the shower worked correctly!). We tried to get a room nextdoor at the Marriott, but they were booked. We just put up with the ants which was disgusting (they kept saying they were at 100%) and we won't be back and I'm canceling my Hilton Honors membership (this rewards program did nothing to assist our situation). One last thing, we were gone all day Saturday and came back to the room around 4:30p and the room hadn't been cleaned yet. Housekeeping was in the hall and I asked for fresh towels and she asked me sign her clipboard saying it was okay that our room wasn't straightened up. No, it wasn't okay and this is only resort I've ever stayed at hasn't had the room taken care of by late afternoon and we left early in the morning, like always, leaving the room empty giving housekeeping ample time to do their thing. The room issue & ants soured my desire to ever stay at a Hilton again. Your best bet is to go nextdoor to the Marriott resort.

Room Tip: With all the negatives we experienced, the restaurant & beach bar staff were super friendly and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
George I, General Manager at Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
<FURTHER CUSTOMIZATION MAY BE NECESSARY>

I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing the room reservation, pest, and housekeeping issues to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our staff and pest control company to address each situation. We want to ensure that you and future guests are taken care of and apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort you experienced. I can assure you, we want all of our guests to have a pleasant stay with us and your experience is not typical of our warm hospitality.

Kind regards,
George Isaac
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the hotel several times and never been asked to pay a $10 parking fee. The few was waived however I do not understand why a fee is being charged. Why? No cover parking. Parking is not secure. Security gate doesn't work. Anybody in the area can come park on the lot, leave their car, and proceed to their destination without paying. I believe this is a disservice. Also, we requested turkey bacon and was provided pork. Big no no! In addition we requested to bowls of cereal (special k and fruit loops) which we received however we were not provided milk. Really?

• Stayed February 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

High $$$....Great room...but a micro-balcony. Room service a little slow (like about 2 hours), confusing signs in the elevator says the pool and spa deck are on the 2nd floor (I wandered up and down the hall for 15 minutes before someone told me it was on the first floor). After shelling out hundreds of dollars for a room, they still want to charge you for parking without a valet. Surcharge for internet and repeatedly given the wrong wifi passcode (come on Hilton, even McDonalds offers free wifi to it's customers now). Only 2 towels per room, seriously? Sadly, I have received better service and ammenities from roadside motels...I would have expected much more from the Hilton name and price.

• Stayed January 2013
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Been coming here usually in winter for almost 20 years. This was the first visit since the hotel completed an extensive rehab project that took a couple of years. We were very pleased with the results. First of all realistic expectation are in order. This hotel - one of the last on quiet Singer Island, used to picture itself as a "resort." Now it finally fits as a decent hotel with a nice beach. Are you a hilton honors member - if so, take advantage of the $10 room upgrade to a nicer room with a balcony. These rooms have been refurbished and are good size. The lobby and restaurant have been refurbished and are comfortable. The hotel fitness center is one of the best I have used with new cardio equipment. Food is decent at the hotel but there are so many reasonable choices within a 15 minute drive - everything from the very good Vietnamese Express to Toojays - deli to Capt Charlies Reef Grill - great florida seafood and the always great breakfast/lunch place - Southern Kitchen. The hotel does have a nice Caribbean style outdoor bar which is very popular. The beach is great and the water is always crystal clear. You can save $$ on renting beach chairs by buying one at the nearby CVS at the northern end of Singer Island and route 1. The only sour note is the new Hilton practice of charging $10 for wifi - another example of proliferating hotel add on fees. Anyways - come on down!

Room Tip: Take advantage of the hilton honors $10 upgrade for a bigger room with a balcony. Quieter rooms tend...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you're going to Singer Island, this is a lovely hotel and the best value we've found. The service is wonderful with a number of long term hotel employees who we enjoy seeing time and again. The beach is really nice, although you do get nickled/dimed by having to rent lounge chairs on it. The pool is beautiful. Fitness room has excellent equipment as well as a wall of windows overlooking the pool area. Food is just ok, but the setting overlooking the ocean is idyllic. The guest room isn't especially modern but it's nice, clean and well appointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches? Share your experiences!