“Good food, great location and poor service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Melide
Cuisines: Seafood, Sushi, Diner, Asian fusion
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: the dellago was built sometimes around 1905 and has since seen many concepts & transformations, but it has never been completely restructurated: this place has style and patina. our crew is a cheery bunch of refreshingly hospitable young pro's with a very casual attitude and very informal, straight forward moods. people looking for a laid back, mediterranean zest of life and who place respect on top of social status will find themselves very comfortable with us. we are all here because we love our place, we love our jobs and not because someone, a hundred years ago declared, that guests were kings.
Weggis, Luzern, Switzerland
“Good food, great location and poor service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Its a nice place. We were there on a Saturday evening - not too many people but to few or too slow to give us a good service. I would still come back, hoping for they have more time then.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
renerenerene, Inhaber at Dellago, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Buongiorno Jorgen Thor

Thanks for the compliments :-) However, I do not know what went wrong on your evening with us, but I admit, we are not the very quickest, we usually let our guests take their time at meals. We are also very informal and easy to keep the place very relaxed and placid.

If your discomfort has been caused mostly by this slow pace, then I could only suggest to ask the girls next time (if you do return, that is...) to speed up a bit and tell them not wait to call the following course until everybody has finished their plates, but already a few minutes before in order to have the dishes in the pan and in the finishing line while you are still eating up the last bits of your plates.

If your discomfort has been caused by a lack of coordination, I just hope we'll do better next time and the only thing I can do is to appologize for the non satisfactory service.

For a few weeks in spring and fall we have those not too cold, but either not warm enough evenings which invite you to have a table outside until you realize it is indeed to cold to stay and prefer to move inside. In these evenings we find a few guests on the blue terrace, a few on the red sector, a few inside and a few who move from an outside table to an inside one during the meal. On such evenings, the place looks quiet although there are 50 people at dinner, but instead of having them all concentrated either on the terrace or inside, they spread everywhere which makes the distances and spaces to be covered by the service crew about 50% larger and thus everything becomes more time consuming.

In any case thanks for your feedback; we hope you'll give us another chance and hopefully we do it better next time ;-)

Cheers, Rene Probst

“Very nice and very good... Not cheap”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We have been having dinner at this restaurant and were surprised. We didnt expect to see dishes served so nicely and and at the same time so wonderfully tasty. The service is very friendly and efficient. The location right at the lake... We will go again for sure... Oh and one last thing, the menu card is presented on an iPad! Wow!

Cortijo La Loma
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

All the dishes are amazing, especially the fish and lamb. Don't miss out on the home made ice cream - without the chocolate decoration in my case!!!

Visited September 2012
Studio City, CA
“Restaurant in Mellide, Switzerland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I are spending some time in the town of Lugano, Switzerland. En route to Italy just to the south, the local roads pass through the lake towns of Mellide and Morcote. We decided to dine one evening by the lake at the restaurant at the Art Deco Hotel Dellago. We anticipated a good meal. What we experienced was beyond our wildest expectations!

The restaurant is, in particular, a seafood restaurant but there is a small choice of chicken and beef.

The presentation and taste of the food was exceptional, worthy of some of the best food we have had at Michelin 1 and 2 star restaurants. My wife had the asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and I had the brioche with basil and mozarella for starters. My wife then had the scallops and I elected to have a non-fish, corn-fed chicken breast fillet on a bed of risotto. This all proved to be just out-of-this-world delicious. Comlimenti allo Chef!!!

Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
“Very Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was my daughter's birthday and she suggested we go to Dellago for her celebratory dinner, which we were happy to do, having been a number of times before and thoroughly enjoyed the meals we had.
Unfortunately, this time was the exact opposite.
After being seated by a young lady who seemed to be rather 'spaced out', we were given Apple iPads with the menus, which is very hi-tec but only nice if you are that way inclined. We asked for a particular wine and were told that there was only one open bottle left, so we could only have a glass each. We agreed and said that we would order an alternative wine a bit later.
My daughter and I had starters - she had , which and I had a Thai chicken soup which was nice.
For main courses my wife ordered the Dellago version of Paella, my daughter ordered a Thai curry and I had a Surf and Turf.
Both the Paella and my Surf and Turf had two large (100g) prawns, all of which were clearly not very fresh, as the flesh was quite flowery. My daughter's Thai curry was almost tasteless, my food had not been seasoned at all, despite the menu stating that it contained Valle Maggia special pepper, which we use at home. They must have forgotten to add it along with any other spices. The risotto that was part of my wife's Paella had not been cooked long enough and was quite crunchy, not creamy like risotto is supposed to be. After serving the food no one asked if it was fine and despite our initial glasses of wine being finished halfway through the meal, not one of the waitresses asked if we would like anything else to drink.
When a waitress finally came to clear the plates, she asked if we enjoyed the meal and we clearly stated that we had not and told her what was wrong with the food. She disappeared and we assumed she was going to tell the chef but that was the last we saw of her.
A different waitress asked if we would like anything further, which we clearly did not.
Up until last night I would have recommended this restaurant but based on the lack of service, the lack of interest on the part of the staff and the tasteless but expensive meals, I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
renerenerene, Inhaber at Dellago, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Oh, hello Chris M.

Mmh, your public feedback is much more polite than the various confidential mails you have sent to "the manager/owner" demanding for apologies and explanations in large, bold, angrily screaming letters. After you placed this here...

Isn't it perfidious to trumpet your irate feedback to the world before you send confidential requests for clarification to me? Why asking for apologies and explanations when your opinion is already made and published to the world? Why getting into a huffy, even minacious mail conversation, if you are just interested to make us look miserable?

I don't want to tread on your toes, but doesn't that say something about the quality of your feedback? At least it reveals a snotty character we prefer not to see in our place anyway.

But nevertheless, let me reply to the various points of your complaint. I already sent you my apologies and explanations and since you made me work, enquire, explain, apologize and write to you for a week, I'll do that with a jolly sarcasm if you permit:

First, our spaced out staff: blimey, those darned space cakes did not work again… it's supposed to be a special surprise for our birthday celebrators with our staff hovering above the feting table waving candles and chanting birthday songs, but instead, they made them wacky girls just frolic, smile and space out... Sigh, I really have to have a word with them and for this I definitely owe another apology to you… aand, maybe we should also change to magic mushrooms instead…

The high-techie i-Pads: according to apple, this device has been sold more than 120 million times and it is generally accepted to be pretty fool-proof. My seven years old niece performs the thing with virtuosity, but maybe she is already genetically altered and has incorporated it as an additional body part. But we are thankful for the hint; we will find another solution to suit the needs of the elderly ;-)

Next was the 'you, she, we, which (what?), I had but not maybe' Tom Kha Gay chicken soup which was nice, - thankyouverymuchindeed - but there is not a word about the overcooked tomatoes or the brioche or else 'she, we, I you' had and did not enjoy: maybe in your mails to me, there was a hidden message between the lines? Whichever; you probably just wanted to tell me how to spice up and space things out to make them look worse?

The only serious allegation are the "clearly non fresh and flowery" prawns, because you blame us to jeopardise our guests health with rotten comestibles. Well, we don't. The "flowery" meat as you call it, is typical for the Argentinian Camarones: they are indeed much softer, sweeter and creamier than the Asian Black Tiger you can get in every supermarket in various sizes, qualities and preparations. The black tiger shell is almost black with greyish vertical stripes (black... tiger... rings a bell?), and its flesh is very firm, almost crisp sometimes and pure white. Camarones instead have a longer, much slimmer body, a fire red shell and their meat is distinguishably sweet (flowery I suppose) and so soft, you could almost squash it with your tongue against your palate. So, no, they were not "clearly not fresh", they were just camarones and not the usual mass product, antibiotics infested, mangrove killing prawns of everywhere.

Our "tasteless" Thai Curry is indeed very delicate and elegant, spicy and hot only in the aftermath but most important, it lets you relish the equally elegant and delicate flavours, fragrances and savours of the sautéed fish and crustaceans in it. Maybe you did not like the sea taste of the fish? Or did you rather think of a british curry mashed up of undefined chunks of various dead sea animals and canned fruits covered with a brown-yellow, glueish glop? gee… pity we don't have the skills to do it brit style: we should try one day, maybe there's a market for it even around here…

The Maggia Valley pepper is a seasoning product containing pepper, yes, and you can use it at home, too, of course, but it's not suitable for the pepper mill. It isn't, because it is a humid, sandy paste of ordinary roughly ground black pepper, salted, secretly seasoned and marinated in white wine for weeks. It is peppery, but rather mild with a wine-ish base, it's not very spicy or hot and it gives a delicate add on to tender spring vegies and mashed potatoes: that was the "not at all seasoned" chunky potato stuff with the black tiny chunky flakes sprinkled on it underneath the beef filet and the "clearly not fresh, flowery" prawns. Again, a rather delicate dish with elegant, even sweetish flavours which we would like to bloom harmonically in the palate, rather than being overkilled and dominated by the wined pepper. If you prefer the heavy handed claymore; fair enough, but I'm afraid we go for the epee.

Last but not least, there was the crunchy risotto; First of all, no, we do not sprinkle or mix corn flakes with it, we simply cook it the Italian way; it's is just few kilometres away, after all… In Italy it is called "al dente" which implies "firm to the bite" which means the core of the rice corn, in all its creaminess, remains slightly firm. But, I admit to have heard of rumours, up north they prefer risotto to look, taste and feel like tepid porridge and some even say they soak rice crispies and speed cook it in a microwave to keep the vitamins… but I think, that is just rumours… At least, I hope…

Dear Chris, it is very clear you did not like us at all, and honestly, there is others who don't: that's life and we can live with it. We can pretty well estimate our professional performance, we are very well documented about our guests satisfaction levels and have the performance figures for every week since march 2001 including a harsh blow here and there. As long as 98% of our customers are perfectly satisfied with what we do, that's all what counts: the other 2%, well, there is other places to match their tastes; if you like, I'd be happy to pass you a few colleagues addresses ;-)

Cheers, the Dellago staff

and in particular last saturdays crew members: Léon, Valentino, Patto, Regula, Chris, Rene, Luana, Nancy, Lorena, Lucia and Naomi