“Large room with a great view...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Suite Princess

You added Suite Princess to your Saves list
Suite Princess
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   C/ Alcazaba, 4 (Urb. de Taurito), 35138 Taurito, Gran Canaria, Spain   |
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Taurito
Wiltshire
“Large room with a great view...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Just returned from a nice relaxing week at this hotel and I had a really good holiday here. We upgraded and had emailed the hotel in advance to ask for a high, quiet room. We were allocated a lovely, large room on the 7th floor (one level up from reception) with an uninterrupted sea view at the far end of the hotel away from the public water park. The room was not newly renovated and certainly showed some signs of wear (a few cracked bathroom tiles and quite large gaps in the floor between laminate boards for example), but was clean, comfortable and everything was in good working order. It was slightly odd that we had to unplug a table lamp beside the sofa in order to plug in the kettle as there was only one spare plug (at floor level near the inner door ) and no sockets near the counter where the kettle and tea etc were stored, but this wasn't really an issue for us.

I hadn't realised that the pool was in fact two separate pools divided by a bridge. One was heated and started shallow with a gradual slope downwards ( this would have been better if it had a hand rail, as I noticed several people slip when entering the pool via this slope). This was the side used for aqua aerobics etc. I preferred the other side, which was cooler and deep (over 2 metres throughout), so probably not ideal for weak swimmers. As others have said, the sun loungers were not the most comfortable and all pretty close together, although we managed to find some on the end, which didn't feel so claustrophobic. Umbrellas were fixed into the ground and were less plentiful than the loungers.

I was very happy with the food at the Suite Princess, which was varied and readily available. I liked that drinks were on tap so that you could help yourself. I never struggled to find something I wanted to eat.

The courtesy bus to Mogan was well worth the trip. The resort of Taurito is small, but there are a few shops, the water park, small beach, sports facilities and a pretty little botanical garden that the reps failed to mention and was a nice place to walk in the evening. It was a safe feeling resort that suited us, as it was easy to visit other local areas via the public bus (€1.40 to Puerto Rico).

The hotel staff all seemed friendly and hard working. They were very helpful whenever we asked anything. I was, however, very disappointed with the service provided by Thomson. I have been travelling with them for over 15 years and used to find them excellent, but have felt that the standards have been declining over the last few years. Prices have increased, but you seem to get much less value for money than you did in the past. Their room descriptions ( explaining what you got with a Royal vs a superior upgrade) were confusing when we booked and the representative we spoke to on the phone only had exactly the same web page in front of her and concluded that she didn't know either! The couples brochure claimed that we would get 7kgs of hand luggage instead of the usual 5, as well as 20kgs of hold luggage, but the e-tickets didn't say this. We phoned to ask if this was correct - as we were on a Thomson airways flight, we couldn't understand what justification there would be for not allowing us the 7kgs- we spoke to 3 different people, receiving 3 different answers (that we only had 5kgs, but she didn't know why; that we had 7 but they didn't mention it on the tickets and the airport staff would know, no idea how; and the third person who said that she had been asked this a lot and didn't have the answer, but was checking and would make sure that we were emailed with the correct answer - no email ever came). If they couldn't answer such a simple question, I'm not sure how that would handle anything technical. We never did get a straight answer- I emailed, but their response time is 14 days and the response came when I was away ( and still didn't answer the question, just apologised for not responding sooner)! The transfer on arrival at Gran Canaria was chaotic to say the least - we were sent to the wrong bus, the rep even wrote the number down so we knew we weren't misunderstanding. Luckily the driver found us the correct bus, but no names were ever taken, even though there were apparently more people on our correct bus than they were expecting. The rep on the bus was very new, and spent almost the entire journey (1h20, not the 45 minutes she said it would be, as others have said, we did not get the promised priority drop off either) trying the hard sell on Thomson trips and insisting that everyone needed to go to the welcome meeting. The reps in the hotel were all friendly and willing, but again seemed very inexperienced and primarily interested in selling trips. The transfer back was quite late and didn't allow much margin for error. We decided that we weren't very confident the the organisation and would prefer to get to the airport earlier, so ended up getting the hotel reception staff to book a taxi transfer for us (cost €65, but we decided to treat ourselves and it was a much nicer way to travel -a smart, air conditioned car that only took 40 minutes to reach the airport). They say that you can only check in 2 hrs before the flight, but all Thomson flights check in at the same desks (there were 8 open)and once the desk opened, you could check in for any flight. We were able to check in before the first coach arrived for the first British flight, so avoided the queue completely and had a nice relaxed meal and plenty of time to shop once in the departure lounge. For us, this was a much less stressful end to the holiday.

In conclusion, the hotel was lovely, but Thomson really need to look at the service they are offering and deliver on their promises. The brochure offered a great deal that was not provided and their staff seem unable to explain why. They seem to offer a budget service for luxury prices these days, which is a real shame. We travelled with Easyjet holidays earlier in the year and received much better service (including the same security of booking a package, but with greater flexibility) for significantly less money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (827)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Alsager, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel for the first week in July and had a thoroughly relaxing time.

I decided to travel alone as I was having difficulty co-ordinating travel dates with friends. I've never done this before but decided to brave it and I'm glad I did.

The night fliight there went pretty smooth although I (along with other passengers) were very disappointed to realise that we were not first or second drop off on the coach transfer but instead nearly last - Thomson you really need to update this information on the website! If I were to stay again, I'd seriously consider a taxi transfer. Nevertheless, check in at 4am was swift and I was quickly taken to my 7th floor suite despite the fact that I didn't upgrade. First impressions were good. I was very pleased with my room although I would've preferred a double bed to myself as opposed to two twins pushed together - why do they do that? I haven't slept in a single bed since I was 12 years old!

Now I decided not to upgrade as I couldn't see the value in doing so. Yes you get a bathrobe and slippers but seriously, in 30 degree heat, are you going to sit in your room wearing a bathrobe? In addition, I haven't come away to watch TV and the choice of British channels were dire unless you're into 24 hour news or "True Movies". I found the wine and cava on draught to be very acceptable indeed and I have to say, my taste buds are not discerning enough to establish whether the gin is Gordons or Morrisons own. Instead, I opted for the standard all inc and added the safe (only 12 Euros) and wifi (19 Euros) which isn't included in the upgrade anyway. I did, however, have a kettle in my room so used it every morning and I wasn't charged.

The hotel itself is fabulous. All rooms face the sea (my view was stunning), my room was light and airy, the reception is spacious and there's a great choice of bars to sit in and enjoy music in the evenings. They are also smoke free which is a godsend. I particularly enjoyed the piano bar, very laid back and the bar staff were very friendly and always remembered your drinks preference. I noticed that people also tended to dress up in the evening which I personally think is a good thing.

The food - where do I begin! - is amazing! If you're into seafood you are in for a treat! In one seating I had grilled seabream, prawns, mussels, sardines, smoked salmon and monkfish. The choice of meat was also impressive - veal, beef, pork and grilled chicken. Every mealtime I had at least 3 courses and the sweets were also divine. Usually in all inclusive hotels you get desserts which are pleasing to the eye but disappointing to the tastebuds, not so here, the cheesecake and lemon tarte were to die for! If you're into bland English food, you would probably find it repetative but if you enjoy spices, variety of seafood and meat and rices and salads, then you're in for a treat. The best food I've had on holiday, fabulous!

The entertainment in the evening was also spot on. A special mention must go to the awesome Lone Pepper Duo who were out of this world. They occasionally played around the pool at 4.30pm, which was a nice touch, but mainly in the evening with a mix of current and old accoustic music and they also play requests. Great stuff.

There is also a gym at the hotel. I did intend to use it but instead opted for the run route around the hotel and across the promenade. If you're an early riser, 8am is a perfect time for a jog around the block as the sun tended to come out mid morning. It also sets you up nicely for the day.

The only thing I could find fault with was the sun loungers. Very uncomfortable non-padded ones which wouldn't collapse flat and frustratingly, when you sat down, the back would flip up. Attempting to lie on your front was like lying in an upside down crab position. Not a position I can maintain for longer than 15 minutes and it probably took another 15 minutes to recover!

If like me, you are travelling alone and expect to make a few friends during your stay you may well be disappointed. This is probably due to the sheer size of the hotel and the number of guests but I did observe that couples mainly tended to socialise only with other couples. This didn't ruin my experience and I was quite happy in my own company but if you are hoping to make friends, my advice would be to stay in a "small and friendly" hotel.

I would definitely book this hotel again but probably as a couple next time.

Room Tip: Request a 7th floor room without an upgrade, the views are fabulous!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We have spent two separate weeks at this hotel during 2011 and 2012.
It is the perfect place for couples wanting a week of sun, comfort and well being. Taurito is somewhat cut off and a very small resort, but there are regular bus services to all resorts on Gran Canaria. Puerto Mogan is only a few miles away and great to visit.
The hotel provides superb large rooms, with seating area, sleeping area, large bathroom and balcony. The dining room was spacious, offering buffet meals to suit all tastes and good service. The pool area is lovely, a little bit crowded. The pool bar offers superb food and has a large seated area. There are other verandas. Evening entertainment is good..a small theatre/bar or the Piano room. There is a beach and shops below the hotel....nice for the morning stroll. There is a water park below too. Wonderful sea view from all rooms particularly from the 5th floor up.
All inclusive except Wifi which cost 20 euro per week. Only available in hot spots. Would go again as so comfortable and inclusive.

Room Tip: For good views choose floor 5 and upwards. Choose rooms at side overlooking garden/beach for absolut...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Well where do I start? my wife and I had a lovely week at this hotel, where we wanted to relax around a pool that is close to the beach, could eat good food drink whenever we wanted, listen to cool music or tap our feet to modern pop.
First drop off on travel from airport was great but only concern was going home was a journey around lots of bends etc through Puerto Rico picking up at about five hotels. Did not enjoy the bus as it was late in the day and so packed full and would like Thompson to consider smaller buses but more direct collections and drop offs. Would consider paying for taxi next time.
We were entertained in the evenings with quality acts and serenaded by the most enchanting resident duo called THE LONE PEPPER DUO who were terrific. They play, an eclectic mix of well known songs in an entertaining, percussive style. They helped make our holiday special indeed with the themes they can set from Spanish classical to modern reggae or classic pop songs.
We opted for black bands which guaranteed a high level sea view room, big flat screen LG TV, your own sun-beds on your balcony, bottled water in room, safe included, robes, slippers, fruit and wine on arrival in your room, those extras that we all deserve on a holiday, cost a few quid more but unlike most here on the review site who have complained about some aspects of the hotel, you get what you pay for so don't complain if you did not get quality bottled Rioja red, white or Rose wine on your table with your meal or branded drinks in the bar, these make it special. We would recommend upgrade at booking if you can afford to do so and you should have no complaints.
This is a couples hotel so no kids, wide age group mainly British, with a mix of Scandinavians and Europeans all very friendly. Thompson reps were very good and always on hand as was the hotel animations team who kept daytime activities going for all but not in your face if you did not want to participate.
A couple of BBQs and afternoon champagne sessions with the duo playing and the five course romantica evening meal was a nice touch.
No problem with sun-beds, always available, pool nice, clean, good shaded seating areas with outside settees and chairs some under a pergola or shaded by sail covers.
The music from the adjacent water theme area near the hotel actually offers a happy holiday music feast but not all day and only when they had mini disco type sessions for an hour or so at a time and in no way was too loud or intrusive, unless you wanted to sun-bath in silence. We found this all part of the holiday experience and enjoyed both ambient styles.
Puerto Mogan is worth visiting using the free bus from the hotel, pretty place and nice beach and marina with restaurants and shops, big market on Fridays.
We had a lovely experience overall, four star, not posh or stuffy but friendly and comfortable. Certainly not tired and old, but you have to respect anything that was not built yesterday is not going to be pristine but we did not see anything that we would need to complain about on this area.
Loved the large suite/room we had on the ninth floor, we paid to keep the room on the last day till 9pm as we had a late flight time, cost 50euros, well worth it as we gained an extra normal day around the pool etc. would recommend you make this wish known before you arrive direct to the hotel email as not always possible to accommodate once you have arrived. We were treated very well and politely by the staff throughout and Norberto was professional in dealing with me prior to arrival regarding the extension of checkout time.
Would we go back, well yes, we came away relaxed and carrying many extra pounds! But very happy with a comfortable stay at a well run hotel.
I will be recommending to quite a few people all interested in our experience when we get home.
Thank you Suite Princess Hotel..........

Room Tip: If you can afford it, Go for the black band upgrade and you will guarantee a great room and those ex...
Frozen North
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our bad start was down to two facts: firstly the journey across from the airport was a one hour nightmare of twists and turns which we did not anticipate because we had been promised first or second drop-off when we booked the Thomson's holiday 8 months earlier! The second, and more upsetting, was the fact that we were given awful rooms, badly in need of refurbishment, in the depths of the hotel and were then humiliated and made to feel like second class citizens when we asked for better rooms. After losing a night's sleep we went back to reception for a third time and were at last offered a decent room. Our holiday eventually began 12 hours after arriving at the hotel.
The hotel itself has everything you could want from an 'away from it all' holiday. Plenty of sunbeds, beautiful relaxing sofas in shaded areas, good entertainment, an excellent choice of food and drink and above all exceptionally clean. There was ample opportunity to take part in the many additional activities such as shooting, archery, boules etc but no pressure whatsoever to be involved. I particularly enjoyed taking part in the head chef's cookery lesson and paella making demonstration, and we also enjoyed the a la carte night where we were given a 5 course meal with accompanying wines for every course. Another nice touch was the live music and champagne event that took place on a couple of the afternoons.
One down side is the noise from the fun park next door and from the galleon ship that arrives a few times a week. The noise from these is in direct competition with the subdued music played at the hotel.
The location is fine if you only want to enjoy time in the sun but it's no good if you like to have a walk as there is absolutely nowhere to walk to. Puerto Mogan is only a 10 minute ride away in the hotel's courtesy bus. It's very pretty and has a lovely beach and plenty of shops but not an awful lot more. We also took the ferry from Puerto Mogan to Puerto Rico but found that too commercialised so came straight back to the hotel! Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our week at the Suite Princess and although the reps were really good we were less than happy with Thomson's failed promises and with the attitude of some of the reception staff.

Room Tip: request a room on the fourth floor or higher as the rooms on the first and second floors are like du...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

just had a great week at this hotel relaxing by the pool.our room was very clean and the maids cleaned it every day with some nice touches,towels made into swans,petals on the bed etc.we paid the extra for a superior suite but I'm not sure it was worth it as all the rooms seem to be the same size.we got sunbeds on the balcony but didn't use them,the bath robes and slippers were of no use as they were way to small,we didn't watch any tv as there are no good English channels.the good thing was the fact that we could get wine by the bottle both at meal times and at the bar [ the bottles of wine are far better than the draught stuff] plus branded spirits at the bar.the food was very good and it didn't matter if you fancied a snack at one oclock or five oclock the food was always fresh and varied.the restaurant for evening meals always had something that we liked and I am a bit fussy when it comes to food!there are plenty of sunbeds round the pool and we always managed to get two together although they are a bit close together.i'v only given 4 out of 5 because of this and the fact that the entertainment wasn't very good.there is a small beach nearby but its not very nice and there is very little to do outside of the hotel at night.do go to morgan on the Friday as its market day its only 7euros in a cab but plan to spend the day there as its really nice with a lovely beach and some good restaurants.we went for seven nights and got home on the 7th july.

Room Tip: try to get a room on at least the fourth floor and ask if you can have a low number e.g.4001 -4009 a...
leicester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First of all I would like to say that Gran Canaria is a fantastic island and I wouldn't hesitate to return there. However, The Suite Princess left me with mixed feelings. If this is the best Thompson could offer on the island then I'm sadly disappointed. For the money my wife and I paid, the hotel was sadly tired and old fashioned.

The staff were often sour faced and uninterested. Whenever I asked for a drink it always felt that I'm disturbing them from something more important.
I read beforehand that the hotel was 'on the beach' Its not.... You have to walk down two flights of steps, through a metal gate, leaving the hotel and walk down a further flight of steps to the beach. This area was open to the public and therefor nothing was free, like the sun beds, parasols and even the toilets, which was a shame.

The food however was rather good compared to other all inclusive hotels we've been to, although most of it was the same type of thing (probably re-heated) every day.... still can't complain.

My other niggle was the room. On first impressions the room was very nice, spacious and clean. The bed was very big (two twin beds pushed together) and rather comfortable.
However after a few days I realized again how tired it all looked. The furniture looked like it come from a dodgy second hand shop. The bathroom tiles were cracked in places, uneven and grubby. The fixtures were grubby and mouldy. Not what you expect from a so called 4+ star hotel.
The air con in the room was a godsend at night, but I'm surprised you didn't have to pay extra for it..... which leads me to my biggest complaint.

Now I've been to many weird and wonderful B+B's around the UK for years and most of them include a kettle.... not here, that's extra.
There's also a fridge, its locked..... to use it, that's extra.

You can help yourself to as much chilled drink anywhere in the hotel, except in your room.... lol, that cost's extra.

Finally its worth mentioning that this hotel is more suited to more senior couples as there is virtually nothing to do in the evenings. My wife and I are in our 30's so we didn't want to go out clubbing til 4am but we didn't want to spent the evening playing cards either.

The entertainment was simply laughable. From a grumpy Elvis impersonator to a dodgy version of 'lord of the dance'. Followed the next day by an African gymnastic act simply called 'Black Brothers' who spent most of the time picking up their juggling balls to an almost tone deaf soul singing act.

The final nail in the coffin was when I checked out, not even a 'thank you....'

We should have gone Butlins, the food, room and entertainment would have been so much better.... for less

Room Tip: All of the rooms are pretty much the same, the ones on the higher floors maybe quieter. Oh and opt...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Suite Princess? Share your experiences!