“beautiful rooms, good location but room for improvements” 3 of 5 stars

You added The Nunnery to your Saves list
The Nunnery
116 Nicholson St., Fitzroy, Yarra, Victoria 3065, Australia   |
Brisbane, Australien
“beautiful rooms, good location but room for improvements”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked a dorm bed and ended up being put in the guest house next door.
So I have no idea if this were actual dorms or family rooms. In any case the rooms were massive, beautiful and had even a flat screen TV with DVD player!
Very comfy beds.

The kitchen and dining area there were really nice and a basic breakfast was included.
I missed the pancake breakfast in the hostel though :-(

Bathrooms were spacious, not 100% clean but still good.

Seems like the whole place is not very well organized. During my 3 night stay I had to move once which was ok. Other people I met there have been moved even more. Having worked in a hostel myself I know this can happen occassionally. But if it happens that often it's usually due to lack of organization.

Staff was nice. But service poor. Would have been nice if there had been someone to give me a hand with my luggage. I had to struggle my way up the stairs and back down on my own after being moved after just 1 night.

Walking distance to the CBD. Fritzroy is well worth exploring, too.

Would stay here again, but not necessarily. Other hostels might be worth being checked out as well. Again I got trouble with the star rating here. It is not an average but not yet a very good. It is a GOOD. So once again I go for the 3 stars.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed for four nights in a 12-bed mix dorm. The bedding was clean although the floor was a little dirty - we kept flip-flops on at all times! The room had high ceilings and a large, functioning window. The overall building is lovely and the room was very spacious considering the number of people.
We found the the bathroom to be a dirty at times but for the number of people that go through the doors maybe this is to be expected. The kitchen was far too small for the size of the hostel and not very organised, although we only used it for breakfast and not much else.
The staff were cool and always around if you had a question to ask.
My partner and I would stay here again but for nothing over 1 or 2 nights this time. Overall, not amazing but bearable. The Nunnery is really, just... OK.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

GOOD
-The Nunnery is a beautiful building, in an incredible location. It's situated across from the Carlton Gardens and is a 10 min walk from the CBD, and 2 mins to Brunswick St.
-The free breakfast is really great.
-Rarely have to wait for shower/bathroom.
-Good security (key cards)

BAD
- Deposit that was initially paid was ON TOP OF the full price, not included.
- Asked for a 3 person dorm, which is what my confirmation email said i would receive. However, ended up being a 4 person dorm.
- Out of the 5 receptionists i came across, only 1 of them was helpful.
- There was an unfortunate situation with the hostel placing an older, drunk man in our room. Surely they could have put him in a room with men rather than girls?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

First thing I should say is that we stayed in the Guest house next door and not in the hostel part of the Nunnery. The experiences between the two would be very different, I would imagine. Second, it was winter time and apart from one other guest, we had the whole house to ourselves. So while the bathrooms were shared, we, in effect, had it to ourselves.

These disclaimers aside the positives are:

a) WONDERFUL location - the Fitzroy suburb to the back has a HUGE selection of restaurants, bars, shops, cafes, interesting buildings, trendy boutique fashion shops but it still maintains the charm of an area that is up-and-coming - the sort of place that trend-setters discover first and then make popular. You can easily spend one or two days just discovering this area and all its quirks and charms.

Across the road on the other side is the museum and IMAX theatre. A 7-minute walk brings to the tram station where can catch the FREE circle line. The tram circles the entire city centre from which you can probably see 90% of all the sites that you would want to in Melbourne. The staff on board the tram are very helpful.

b) charming room - we had a family room (as with 2 kids) and it was large enough with a fireplace that had a heater in it, so the room was very comfortable. There was a door out to a beautiful courtyard so you could sit out and have a drink or read.

c) good facilities - our bathroom was huge, spotless and very modern. The internet, while expensive, was good. There is a nice dining room and a well-equipped kitchen if you felt like cooking. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate and milk were always available for free and the breakfasts - cereal plus a good selection of breads with spread was fine. The bed was firm and thick as were the bunk beds that the kids slept on.

d) helpful staff - unlike some of the comments in the other reviews, every person we spoke to was very helpful and all our requests were handled immediately. They even had donuts available one day which made my two daughters very happy!!

Only two negatives:

a) As has been mentioned before, the downstairs family room has a wonderful door that leads to the court yard. But it is the only outside light in the whole room. So a lace covering would be good so that there is some privacy.

b) While it was the most affordable place that I could find for a family of 4, at $175 a night, it is not cheap. In my opinion, in order to really make the Nunnery a real gem they should do one of two things - reduce the price a bit to around the $140 level or improve the breakfast a bit by giving a bit more choice - yoghurt, fruit, a better selection of teas, some cold cuts for example.

Room Tip: If you are not a backpacker, student or on a very tight budget, then stay in the guest house and not...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
vic, australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My girl friend and I stayed here for one cold and wet melbourne night,we had a twin room and there was a heater in our room that kept the room warm all night and we only had it on low setting.The linen was clean and fresh and the shower which was out in the hall was excelent.We took a tram from Southern Cross train station so easy.Beakfast was basic but good, this chap that is a chef was washing dishes and cooking pancakes and people where friendy.There is a great pub next door with good meals

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Unless you are prepared to "rough it", do not stay here for your first experience of Melbourne. This hostel gave me a very poor impression of hostelling in Australia on my first few nights in the country.

My first room was at front door opposite the TV room (ie v noisy as front door bangs shut, also due to all male room mates who must have been long term residents it was very smelly - not cleaned in a long while plus it was very dark room). Not a problem to be put into a second room but this was packed as full as possible with beds and due to the mainly long-term residents the room hugely messy - clothes strewn everywhere, with leftover moldy food lying on the fireplace/tables/sofa (this room was in the back building on ground floor). I decided to express my disappointment again (after the person who took my complaint was outstandingly rude to me infront of those others queuing at the reception, he did eventually put me into another room). The third room was quite nice (upstairs in front building) but after the receptionist had been so rude to me, I had just had to ask for a refund on my booking and find somewhere else. There is no need to insult customers.

The Nunnery kitchen is absolutely tiny for the number of people staying here - having spent the last 6 months in and out of hostels, it was by far the smallest I saw. If you find it filthy, as I did, do ask the reception about cleaning. Okay, they were very rude to me but the next day they did a deep clean of the kitchen and it did look better afterwards.

Can't express how disappointed I was with my stay here after all the reviews bigging up the place - do not believe them unless you stay in the non-hostel part of this establishment which I can only assume is what people praise.

Often your experience of a new city can be dictated by how nice the place is you are staying in and I have to admit that my first few days in Melbourne were miserable! I left this hostel, for one which had was much much cleaner, had a decent sized kitchen, better location, friendly staff and was much cheaper! After changing hostel, I started enjoying Melbourne!

Room Tip: Upstairs in front building was the best - cleaner than the other 2 I was in...and nicer bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in Winter, so I can't really comment on the atmosphere of the hostel during peak season, but it was beautifully clean, the beds were comfy, and the shared bathrooms were the best I have ever seen in a hostel.
We were upgraded to the house next door to the hostel, and had two very good nights sleep on the thick mattresses!

• Stayed June 2012

Been to The Nunnery? Share your experiences!