“Right at the lake, great place for a few days” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Lago Di Lugano
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Campione 65, Bissone 6816, Switzerland   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Bissone
Manila, Philippines
“Right at the lake, great place for a few days”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The hotel is great for a few days with the kids. The rooms have a separate area that sleeps 4 kids in bunk beds as well as a living area with a parent sleeping area that is separate by a curtain. The terrace had nice views over the lake. To be right at the lake offers the benefits of swimming there or in the pool, both are good. Also for water sports like waterskiing it is fabulous to be picked up right at the hotel. The restaurant at the lake is quite OK with great views. The hotel might benefit from an overall renovation but probably the owners will choose to benefit from its location for a while. It offers kids facilities although we did not use them. We stayed two nights and would have enjoyed another two but after that it might get a bit boring.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Indy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Absolutely great time with my family at Lugano. Love the location because it is across the lake from busy Lugano, close enough to drive over for some activities when we wanted to, but it was nice to return to the serene setting and beauty of Lago di Lugano. Our room was perfect for two adults and two children, the children’s room had bunk beds. Recommend that you have your own car is staying there if you want to go out and visit surrounding countryside.

Nice pool area and grassy palm tree grassy areas where you can just kick back and relax in the complimentary lounging chairs. Free breakfast buffet was well done, plenty of selections of good food. Breakfast being included is a plus given the high prce of eating in Switzerland.

The hotel is on the water which is a plus compared to the other hotels in Bissone. It is about a 30 yard walk and you are in Italy, at least an enclave of Italy (Campione d'Italia)

Found the hotel and grounds to be very clean and well maintained. The rooms are a bit dated but I did not find that this distracted at all from the experience.

The staff spoke English and found them to be Extremely helpful and courteous.

Recommend going in July when the Lugano festival is going on, plenty to do and see in Lugano during the festival, lots of entertainment.

We left behind an important(sentimental) piece of jewelryin our room. We called a few days later, they found the item, and immediately mailed it to us at no charge.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel for 6 days: the hotel was clean, , wonderful views to the lake and mountain, nice rooms, ,rich breakfast, very helpful reception people especially tonia. .they offer free water taxi to lugano and taxi to train station or airport. Very nice and helpful team in the kids club especially Alexander. .they offer few activities like mount tamaro and sant Salvador. ..the bus stop is in front of the hotel...we enjoyed the stay ...

• Stayed June 2013
PhantomMoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We just stayed at this hotel from June 27th through June 30th. I booked two rooms-- one double room and one double room with lateral lake view.

The reception staff are very friendly and helpful with any questions and check-in and check-out went smooth and fast.

I wasn't expecting much of a view in the room without a view, but it was surprisingly nice enough. Just looking out the room and sitting on the large porch, all you really see are trees so you could imagine you were looking out at a forest. Because of the trees we got to hear some lovely bird calls from early morning until nightfall. They were really making beautiful sounds. If I stood at the edge of the porch then I could see the children's playground area below us. This was room 204.

I couldn't wait to see the lateral lake view room and this is where we were a bit disappointed. Yes we could see the lake but wish they had given us a room on a higher floor. We had room 214. Also rooms with a smaller number (like room 210, 209 etc...) probably had a bit of better views. I did try to see if we could change rooms and the receptionist totally knew what I was about to ask because she cut me off before I was finished to inform me the hotel was fully booked.

The rooms are dated and I advise you bring some cheap slippers or flip-flops just because the carpet is older. The pillows were awful but my sister-in-law liked them. They have no support at all and your head is lying straight on the bed after lying on the pillow. I took one of the chair cushions,and put it under my pillow to be able to have my head propped up (I did cover the chair cushion with a towel for cleanliness).

The bathrooms are clean, though on the small side and they provide hand soap in a pump and in the shower a pump with a body soap/shampoo. They also provide large laundry basket.

There are no English language television channels and no English brochures in the hotel. But the reception staff are very helpful so ask them about the activities you can do in the hotel and out and about.

One great thing is there is a laundry room in the hotel!! It is on the 2nd floor, opposite from room 216. The reception sells laundry detergent- one load worth is 2 CHF. None of the instructions are in English though!! There is one Kenmore front loader that is free to use, but no separate dryer. I am not sure if the machine is a washer/dryer combo because I never have used a front loading machine before and do not know what all the icons stand for. I just set the knob to where it said 40° on the left of the knob. The screen showed an hour and a half and an icon I assumed was the spin cycle that said 1200. I figured a cycle of an hour and a half had to be a washing cycle so pressed start and hoped for the best.

You hear water run a few separate times but you don't see any in the window. But it did wash the clothes. I tried setting the machine where I saw a sun symbol on the screen but after an hour of tumbling, the clothes did not dry at all, and weren't even warm so I just hung dried everything in our room. At least I got to clean our clothes for free!!

There is a European front loading washer and separate dryer but those work on a cash-card system (you have to put a cash-card in a slot in the machines for them to work). I am not sure if the hotel will give you a card to use but the instructions aren't in English anyways so I didn't even bother trying to ask for one.

I will post pictures of the machines and instructions in case it may help someone to see and get them translated before their trip.

Breakfast was included with our booking and it was a good variety to choose from. If you are Jewish or Muslim, just beware all the meat options are pork. But there is still enough of other things to eat.

If you have children this hotel definitely caters to families with children. We don't have any but it looked like there is plenty of things for children there.

There is no kettle in the room but there is a small refrigerator. For hot water, there is a machine that boils water in the library next to the reception. There is only one iron/ironing board and it is only available to use in the laundry room. They also offer free wifi, just get your usernames and passwords from reception.

All in all it was a good stay and I would come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I recently spent a night at this hotel. Others have written about the stunning location. We were bowled over by the friendliness and service-mindedness of the staff. This was an excellent feature (and this is not just because we live in the Geneva area where good service is rather rare!). The hotel is especially well-adapted for families with young kids.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We have just spent 3 days at the hotel and had a great time. It is unusual in that the apartments are all individually owned, which I imagine makes it difficult for the hotel to guarantee room satisfaction, however we were in a junior suite which suited us fine. Parents and 4 kids, 8, 6 and twins under 2.
The hotel is old, however everything is clean and working. They were redoing the baby pool for the summer, so it appears everything is well maintained.
The Food was absolutely excellent, we ate each night in the hotel, and bar one pasta dish, everything was outstanding. Would recommend eating here. Breakfast buffet was also fanatastic, with something for everyone.
We were recommended a wine different to one we had ordered which was a great choice and again great service.
The hotel is very child friendly. We have been to a number of family hoels in Europe and this one probably has the best child care facilities, playroom, etc of the hotels we have been to.
Unfortunatley, the childcare service was dissapointing. We had hoped to leave our children for a hour or two each day, but were told by childcarer that this would not be possible as she could not handle the toddlers. This was very dissapointing for us, as hotel reception told us differently. It finally came to a head whereby it seems that the childcarer, and not the hotel was out of line (or just plain lazy). Nevertheless, Sandra, the front desk manager was fantastic, and arranged for my wife and I to at least enjoy one romantic evening alone, while the children were cared for.
I imagine part of the problem is that it is not yet high season, thus staffing might be a little short. Our complaint was dealt with in a very professional and efficient manner, and that alone is enough to make me return.
We had a great time, but would probably look to go closer to summer or in summer in future, when the hotel likely has more staff.

We will definitly return.
Thanks to Sandra for going the extra mile to satisfy a customer. She is a credit to the hotel.

Room Tip: Ensure that there are enough staff if you need someone to look after your children. A trip to Foxto...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Total points: 8/10
Location: 7/10
Situated close to the lake, with only a once an hour bus service. The hotel offers a free pick-up service from the central station or the local airport. This has to be requested when making the booking for the hotel.
Rooms: 7/10
The room is large and depending on the side you took, offers a great view over the lake. It isn’t the newest of furniture but it is still functional. The bathroom we had still contained black hairs from either the previous tenant or the cleaning personnel. During our stay we noticed similar hairs on fresh towels, which raises the assumption the cleaning lady has a hair problem. Ventilation is noisy. In the bathroom this can be shut off. In the bedroom the ventilation is built into the little kitchen which for safety reasons has been locked and can therefore not be shut off.
Service: 9/10
Staff is really friendly and willing to go the extra step. During the day when you want to have a drink it is sometimes difficult to find a waiter, but at reception they are always willing to call one.
Breakfast buffet: 8/10
The buffet is rich and provides sufficient choice of meats, some vegetables, fruits, yoghurts and cereals.
Restaurant: 6/10
The presentation of the plates is splendid (9/10). The portions as well as the taste however are below standard(3/10). Children’s menu however is more than sufficient.
Pricing: 7/10
This is a Swiss based hotel; therefore prices are higher, but not exaggerated. Prices for drinks, snacks, minibar and restaurant follow this same rule.
Entertainment: 9/10
Children’s club is brilliant, a lot of toys, lots of activities and the best entertainment staff I’ve ever seen. This may likely look a lot different when it’s holiday season and there are 20+ children there. On the hotel compound there is a great swimming pool, an outside table football game, a billiard and 2 ping pong tables. There is direct access to the lake with a marked area to swim.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Lago Di Lugano? Share your experiences!