“Very Disappointing!!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunboyne
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Very Disappointing!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have stayed here a few times and loved it so I was very disappointed by the dismal welcome and lack of atmosphere this time. On arriving the girl at reception was not pleasant or welcoming at all and it was clear from the offset that this hotel did not cater for children (we had our 4year old with us who was due in Crumlin hospital the following day).
Our room was very nice&beds very comfortable but unfortunately I could not sleep as the toilet cistern was broken&kept filling up all through the night so the noise was awful. However I couldn't ring reception as I didnt want to wake my little girl.
We had bar food which was delicious but the breakfast was again disappointing as the scrambled egg was like rubber and the selection could have been better.
On leaving the hotel I was met by the same receptionist who didn't even ask about our stay and when I told her about the broken cistern keeping me awake she just shrugged and said she would get it sorted. We were still charged the full price&didnt even get an apology or a goodbye.
I won't be back here again and I hope they take these comments on board as the customer service was v poor.

• Stayed April 2013
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Mccauleyr
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.
Although we don't have childrens' facilities such as a swimming pool or childrens' club, we certainly do welcome families here to the hotel.
Regarding the cistern in the room, had this been reported at the time, it would have been addressed immediately.
I am disappointed to hear that you were unhappy with the breakfast selection, as we feel our breakfast offerings are on par with other 4 star hotels in the area.
Again thank you for your comments which I have taken on board.
Elisabet Diaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Just back from Spa week end at Dunboyne Castle hotel.
First of all it is not Castle at all....Just avarage 4 star hotel with 4 star service. We had a half day Spa for 2 booked as well, which I find was overpriced for the service and treatments they provide ( only back massage was good, thanks to my beauty therapiest).
Room was Ok, clean but not big, with garden view and empty mini bar ( presume we had to ask them to put some drinks in it.....)
Dinner was avarage, nothing special.

Overall it was Ok stay without any big issues, but I don't think I will be back...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear ElenaDublin
Thank you for your comments, which I was disappointed to read.
Regarding there being no castle present, there was indeed a castle here on the grounds, however this was destroyed by Cromwell and the first part of the present day building was built at the start of the 1700’s, in a mansion style, and has always retained the name of Dunboyne Castle. You can see remains of the castle structure in the grounds at the front of the hotel.
I am sorry to hear you did not feel the half day spa package was good value - this is surprising to hear as we generally receive exceptional feedback on the Seoid Spa facility and particularly on the value of our packages, however I have taken your comments on board.
Again thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Co.Derry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just returned from a lovely 3 night break in dunboyne, staff were all lovely and friendly, large spacious room, hotel is very clean. gorgeous food and a very relaxing spa! Would definitely return again. excellent value for money

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear sklowery1
Sincere thanks for such a positive review. I will pass on to all concerned and hope we have the chance to welcome you back again in the near future.
Waterford Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Just back from spending another Easter in Dunboyne Castle and I'm pleased to report it's better than ever. A lot of hotels are suffering in the current climate and make cutbacks, often at the customer's expense. This is certainly not the case here. The public areas are immaculately kept, the rooms are clean, warm and relaxing. The food in the restaurant has improved enormously, but the staff are the real jewel in the crown of Dunboyne Castle. They are, without doubt, the friendliest, most helpful, staff one could wish to find. The hospitality is genuine, never forced and nothing is too much trouble. Good staff can really make an hotel and Dunboyne have got it spot on. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are of a high standard.
Dear Environmentfriend
I am really delighted to hear your wonderful comments on your visit to us over the Easter weekend. You have given us a glowing review and we are most grateful. I am particularly happy to read your kind words on our team, they will be delighted to receive such feedback.
I hope you come back and stay with us again very soon.
Best wishes
Newry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in hotel for easter break, while hotel was very busy with lots of children about it was very enjoyable. We had bar snacks on the saturday night which were very good. Breakfast was busy on Sunday morning but we still only waited a few minut for a table. Went to races on Sunday and our pther guests joined us we sat in the foyer in comfort atching the world go by. We had a resturant booking for 8 for 4 people, I enquired if we could change it to 6 people and ths wasnt a problem. The food was excellent. We had spa treaments booked for Monday and I had mislaid a voucher for same the receptionist I spoke to was very helpful and askd me a few questions about when it was bought and when I checked into the spa they had replacment voucher wating. This is our 2nd Easter in Dunboyne and I look forward to the next. Excellent location for going to Fairyhouse Races

Room Tip: As advised great for visiting Fairyhouse Races
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ElisabetDiaz, General Manager at Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear fionamcg
Sincere thanks for such a positive review of your recent visit to us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Easter celebrations with us once again.
Our location is indeed perfect for Fairyhouse and I hope you will return to us again very soon.
Wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We absolutely loved our 2-night stay here! The atmosphere was so peaceful and relaxing, the lobby decor and candles in the lounge area added to it.
The spa was excellent value with very reasonably priced treatments and we really enjoyed the whole spa experience (treatments, hydrotherapy pool, outdoor hot tub and thermal suite).
The staff were very friendly and professional which realluy impressed us.
The room was quite big and very clean. We enjoyed the view of the snowy grounds from the balcony.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and I'm looking forward to a return stay again soon!

Dear 574SSR
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us, during the unseasonal cold snap we recently had!
The spa is indeed a fantastic facility and I hope you left us relaxed and rejuventated. Thank you also for your kind words on our team.
Please don't leave it too long to come back and see us again.
Celbridge, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had visited Dunboyne Castle and spa on one previous occasion and was very pleased with my trip however, my most recent trip to the spa did not meet my expectations. We met early for tea before our treatments in the Terrace Bar and I was extremely satisfied with the service and standard of food we received. The staff there were very helpful and as a coeliac they were attentive and knowledgeable. We then went to the spa. Although I had been once before to Dunboyne Castle, for my friend it was her first time. I was excited and very much looking forward to our treatments as my opinion was that this was in fact the best spa that I had visited in recent years in Ireland. Unfortunately for me on this occasion it did not meet my expectations. I felt rushed during my treatments. While I was receiving my relaxing massage, I could hear lots of noise outside the treatment room of other staff members. For me this changed the relaxing atmosphere that was be created inside the treatment room. However, I did my best to ignore the unusual level of noise outside of my room. I also had a mini facial, which I judged to be very rough and rushed. Again it is usual that the therapist creates an ambiance of relaxation but there was again more noise than one would expect this time inside the room. The package that we had booked for included a heated scalp massage and although I did receive a scalp massage it was certainly not heated. Wednesday was a cold day and I was very much looking forward to the heated side of things and although I did get a scalp massage it wasn't exactly as it had been billed. So on this occasion the spa did not meet expectations for me at least.
Afterwards we dined again in the Terrace Bar. We were very pleased with the level of service however for a four star hotel the food itself did not meet the standards. It is usual that a four star hotel has gluten free bread, in this day and age although it is not offered the chef will always have a stock in the freezer in which to work from. I was informed that there was no gluten free bread today. This was no problem, I was able to assess the menu and make suggestions to the waiter, unfortunately I was a little disappointed because the waiter would usually make the suggestions to you instead of the other way around, this was in stark difference to our early visit to the Terrace Bar earlier that day. We received our food and neither I (the coeliac) not my friend were satisfied with the food we received. I compared it to my previous visit and again it just did not meet the standards set on my first visit to Dunboyne Castle.
All in all, I was disappointed with my experience in Dunboyne Castle. I had high expectations based on the standards set when I had visited before. Unfortunately, I will have to reconsider visiting again particularly as a coeliac.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Elaine C
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed account of your recent visit to the hotel. Although extremely disappointing to hear, it is important that we receive such feedback.
Please accept my sincere apologies for there being no gluten free bread in stock at the time of your visit - this is extremely unusual however I am very sorry for the inconvenience to you. We generally look after coeliacs extremely well and I have asked our management team to conduct refresher training on same with the food & beverage team.
I am also very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your spa treatments. Our Spa management team are currently investigating same.
If you have the time, please contact me directly - ediaz@dunboynecastlehotel.com - as I would like to apologise personally.
Best wishes
Elisabet Diaz

Been to Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa? Share your experiences!