“Super Stay! Wonderful location:)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cottage in the Wood

You added The Cottage in the Wood to your Saves list
The Cottage in the Wood
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Holywell Road, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern WR14 4LG, England   |
Offers & Announcements
Twixmas 3 for 2 Offer
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Malvern Wells
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Super Stay! Wonderful location:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at this gem of a hotel and had the most relaxing and enjoyable time. We both travel and dine out a lot - so are not easily impressed - but we were delighted by the wonderfully comfortable and welcoming ambiance at this delightful and very well-run family-owned hotel. Our room was superbly well-equipped - lovely decor, extremely comfortable bed and a large and spotlessly clean en suite, with a big bath-tub. The owners of the Cottage in the Wood go out of their way to make guests feel pampered - with thoughtful touches, such as yummy home-made biscuits with the tea/coffee-making tray and a wide range of DVDS to watch in your room. Our dinner in the restaurant was excellent - and we especially enjoyed the cosy bar for pre-dinner drinks. As for the location: amazing! Stunning views. We will certainly return for another visit. If you want a romantic weekend away at a great hotel, this is the place to go! We totally recommend!

Room Tip: The rooms are incredibly well-equipped and comfortable - with everything you need to enjoy a truly r...
, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
The word "romantic" crops up again! I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and it's encouraging to read your comments as you stay in hotels and eat out a lot , so you are experienced judges of what we try to achieve. The beds are Vi-Spring and are particularly comfortable. Made in Plymouth too! Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again. John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
quijano, spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have been visiting this hotel for many years now, as my children were studying at the College in Malvern. This last visit was for the graduation of my last one, but hope it will not be the final visit to this wonderful hotel. At check in, the wonderful staff appeared to recognise me (and if they didn't, they did a very good job at welcoming us!), room in the Pinnacles -a separate building from the main hotel, but with larger rooms and umbrellas to get you across to restaurant/bar without getting wet- was, as usual, extremely comfortable (I am saving up to buy their mattresses) with their delicious shortbread and fresh milk for tea, coffee and hot chocolate.
The shower was wonderfully invigorating - good water pressure and temperature. I had a look in the drawers and the extras are still there - binoculars, sewing kit, hairdryer...I really can't think of anything that was lacking (apart from a strong light and make-up mirror, but that is my problem, as I need glasses!).
Breakfast the following morning was delicious and they allowed us to invite 2 extra guests who devoured the full menu.
The hotel is not in the centre of town, but taxis (which reception call for you) are efficient and not too expensive - they also seem to be driven by "characters" who are wonderful to talk to. If you like walking, you are in paradise.
I was sad that my last child was leaving the College, but I am sadder that I can no longer think of an excuse to return in the near future (but working on it).
Well done, Cottage in the Wood - I visited the first time about 27 years ago and it just gets better!

Room Tip: I love the Pinnacles building with their spacious rooms, but number 5 is very romantic
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
Your review is sad to read as it's your last visit for scholastic reasons. You've been coming here for as long as Sue, I and the family have owned it. You are also in a fine position to judge our progress over the years especially as you have stayed so frequently and also use hotels around the world. Delighted your son graduated. Now out into the wide and not so friendly world of recession lead commerce. We wish him well. We do hope you will find an excuse to stay again.
st albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

My boyfriend and I I stayed here for 1 night after the hotel where we had originally planned to stay completely mucked-up our booking but we were both so glad in the end that this error had occurred as it took us to the most wonderful place!
As everyone else says, the views are breathtaking but this cannot truly be appreciated until you are there. We went on a great walk too, the path into the Malvern Hills starts from the car park so it is really handy if you like walking and fancy more views of this beautiful part of the country.
We were in room 10 which is in the cottage annexe, a very spacious yet cosy room, some of the fixtures and fittings are a little out-dated but the bed was huge and so comfortable and we both had a great sleep. Another benefit of the location is the peace and quiet, no traffic sounds etc.
The standard of service was excellent, from every single member of staff that we met. They were all extremely professional but friendly and helpful,some of the best service I have experienced in the UK. Great food too. All in all, a wonderful place to stay, I think my boyfriend may even have used the word 'romantic' so that is really saying something!! We will definitely be returning.

, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
I was happy to read your original choice had messed up as their loss was our gain! Many thanks for posting a review. I like room 10 as it has real character even if not so large as those in our building the Pinnacles. It certainly is a quiet, peaceful place almost isolated from the hurly burly of life down and beyond the hill. Interesting the word "romantic" has been mentioned, the second one today as I check the Trip Advisor guest feedback. Great to hear you will return. John
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Well another visit to the cottage and another great experience. We had a room up in the towers / pinnacles very good indeed.

The welcome, The food etc etc as always near faultless. I just wish we could afford to stay there more often.

The consistency achieved in this little Gem of a hotel is nothing short of astonishing.

For god sake don't change.

, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 7, 2012
This review is reassuring to read. I've often said that consistency is the biggest challenge I face running a 365 days of the year business and it's especially useful information from returning guests as they have a benchmark against which to monitor us. "For God's sake don't change" is also useful. We are sometimes told we are "dated", "not cutting edge" etc, well we are not and did not set out to be and if you listen to everybodies views I wouldn't know if I was coming or going as we, as people, are all so different - thank goodness! Thank you for the review. John
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My partner & I stayed for one night as a surprise for my birthday. I fell in love with the hotel & cannot wait to come back. Our room was beautiful, incredible food, warm & friendly staff & a very relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. But, best of all were the views - really breathtaking & probably the best I have ever seen from a hotel in the UK.

, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
Happy birthday! I'm trying to forget mine! Delighted you enjoyed the break and found the team at their usual happy best. We fell in love with the hotel long before we were daft enough to become hoteliers, so I know what you mean about our location. We really are in a little world of our own..
devon england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I havent been disappointed by a sawday featured place to stay before. There are nice touches, the fresh milk little cartons, amazing view and great location for access to the hills but. for £180 per night not to have a bath? the slope of the roof means that one cant stand by the sink (6ft 3 not ridiculously tall) cant stand by the table that the tea facilties are on. no sky TV, just free view. The food was not up to scratch., nice starter duck terrine and salmon apte but the minted pease were over salty and the mash was waxy and pureed. The wine we eventaully managed to order was very nice but if you are going to have a long award winning wine list, train the waiter? its looking a bit overexpanded and tired

, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
I'm sorry to hear you were disappointed and quite right to review in a frank manner. Your room is one of two created in the roof space with fantastic views but yes, sloping ceilings which would inconvenience a man of your height. Bit mystified about the rate you quote as it's not the rate for that room. Maybe it was a DBB packaged price for you?
Monaghan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed with a group of colleagues attending the 3 counties show (while the setting is very romantic, unfortunately our reason for staying was anything but!!). And while we were a mixed group and in some ways quite demanding we were accommodated in everything we requested. This was the 3rd time we stayed in the Cottage and as usual everything was off a very high standard - service is excellent and friendly. Quality of the rooms is very high. The food is consistently excellent.
I can't think of any other hotel which has such an outstanding view of the countryside which is just breathtaking.
Its an ideal location if you are attending anything in the showgrounds (15 minute walk downhill).

Room Tip: I stayed in the main cottage (room 3 - twin room) there isn't much of a view (that didn't bo...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Owner at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, July 1, 2012
The best news for me is from returning guests who are a benchmark against which I can monitor our progress, so I'm particularly pleased that we were up to the mark on your third visit. Shame you come for reasons of work. And how muddy was the Showground at the Agricultural Show this year? There is an old historic photo of Princess Anne trudging round in wellies, so nothings new is it? Thanks for taking the trouble to post a review.

Been to The Cottage in the Wood? Share your experiences!