“Truly magnificent meal!” 5 of 5 stars

Holywell Road, Malvern Wells, Great Malvern WR14 4LG, England
+44 1684588860
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Truly magnificent meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ate at the Outlook restaurant whilst staying at the Cottage in the Wood hotel and were delighted with the excellent quality and service.

Visited November 2013
Pattinfamily, Owner at Outlook at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm delighted you enjoyed your meal with us and also hopefully the accommodation too. Dominic my son is head chef and has been for many a year and he is backed up by a good brigade who care passionately about what they do, be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. I hope you will return one day.

84% Recommend
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely food with a lovely view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Absolutely lovely food. Whilst staying in the cottage we ate here every night. Although the menu was small and initially seemed ostentatious once you look past the garlic snails and other additions, a lovely well varied menu. Each dish is cooked and presented to perfection and the staff are the definition of 'service with a smile' showing continuous professionalism at the same time. Would most definitely recommend for a special occasion dinner or the cottage and a lovely countryside stay.
(The spectacular view from the large windows also add to the fantastic atmosphere in the restaurant and lounge)

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Pattinfamily, Owner at Outlook at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
It was great to read your review as it ticked the boxes in the areas where we work and strive to achieve high standards. The service and attitude of the serving team is as important as the food itself in my opinion, so I'm delighted you enjoyed both. Thank you very much for your review.
Spalding
“Table With a View”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Over the past many years we have eaten here many, many times. Our son was at the then Prep School next door. We have returned frequently in recent times never tiring of the superb vista over the Vale of Evesham. Sunday excepted, the daily menu is dependent on that which is available locally on a daily basis. We were a little disappointed this time round, the meal being just average compared with our previous visits. The wine list is, however, excellent and varied.
We shall continue to eat here when in the area but the expectations will be somewhat muted.
Worth a visit if only for the view but retain an open mind on the food.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
It is always disappointing to read we have not lived up to previous visits. I'm not sure whether you came for lunch or dinner or when - not that it should matter but it does help me to track back and find out who was on service that day. I can then put things right. Certainly we have had no changes to our chef brigade for nearly two years and my son Dominic is still head chef, so I'm at a bit of a loss.
We would be disappointed if we lost you as a regular after many good experiences just because we didn't hit the mark this time and I'm relieved you say you will return. However, if we do it twice then, sure, we wouldn't be worthy of another chance.
Worcestershire
“Disappointing Sunday lunch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Expectations were high for a relaxing traditional English country house autumnal Sunday lunch.
The restaurant today was surprisingly almost empty.
The meals main course content and quality was disappointing. A poor quality of roast beef which had to be excessively chewed, together with hard skinned overly done roast potatoes, a dry Yorkshire pudding, and little by way of any tasty gravy did little to 'hit the spot', as we had hoped.
I personally like to feel a tiny bit "full" after a traditional Sunday lunch, not too indulgent, but you get my drift. This did not get me in this contented state at all.
The restaurant is modern, and very pleasantly laid out, the adjacent lounge area is more traditional, comfortable, with nice seating to relax, enjoy after dinner coffee, and read a few country magazines.
Service was adequate, but an empty restaurant hardly keeps one waitress very busy.
We shared a version of bread and butter pudding.
We'd gone there for the food and not the views, which seem to be it's main sales pitch, ok if you have a window seat I suppose.
Maybe they were having an off day, and with the limited numbers to cook for, the chef had left matters to his third in command, whatever, it would not encourage us to return, or recommend to others.
Sorry.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pattinfamily, Owner at Outlook at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Thank you for your frank comments. I'm trying to recreate the Sunday you are referring to as my wife mans Reception at the weekend and has had no adverse comments on any of the recent Sundays. I would add that if things are not right, I ask everyone to speak up at the time and give us a chance to put them right. so, all Ii can do at this stage is to apologize in this public forum which is frustrating. We aim for everyone to enjoy their visits to us and I've just answered a review on the hotel pages extolling the lunch they had had, so it's of little use to me to have to go into Sherlock Holmes mode after the event. If you'd like to ring me I'd like to be able to put things right.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“good food beautiful view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 days , as we have done on other occasions . Ate in restaurant on both evenings . Relaxing pleasant Good food if a few errors and perhaps abit expensive . But worth it for the general atmosphere and the view
Breakfast very good and staff attentive as always

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pattinfamily, Owner at Outlook at The Cottage in the Wood, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
It's always reassuring to hear from returning guests as it gives me a benchmark against which to measure consistency. I was pleased to read you enjoyed another stay with one or two small reservations. We'll look to it! Regarding price, many restaurants load the wine prices to subsidise the food which then appears to be cheaper. Our wine mark up policy is very fair with a maximum mark up of £28 which brings claret and Burgundy within reach. Many thanks for the review. John