“Lucky Find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Long Compton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Lucky Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We recently enjoyed an evening meal, with friends, at the Red Lion. It is a charming country inn and has lots of atmosphere. The bar and waiting staff were all very friendly and helpful and the food was excellent. Could recommend this restaurant with no reservations.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RedLionManagers, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am so pleased that you and your friends enjoyed your evening at The Red Lion. We are lucky to have a great country pub with a great atmosphere and a team who genuinely enjoy what they do. Thank you for recommending The Red Lion.

86 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Warwick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

As I was taking my mother, who is 78 away for a few days, I emailed this Inn to ask if they had any ground floor rooms. They very kindly got back to me and told me there were only six steps to their first floor rooms. My mother decided that would not be a problem. A few weeks later I rang to reserve two double rooms for single occupancy. The web site states that single occupancy is £60.00. Not from £60.00 but simply £60.00. I was told that the period I wanted to visit in October was probably very busy and that they could possibly let the rooms as full doubles so therefore they couldn't let us have single occupancy for less than £75.00! The money isn't the problem, it the principle of the situation. Either your single occupancy rate is £60.00 or it isn't. We have decided to stay elsewhere and are in fact paying more than £75.00 a night, but that doesn't matter because the price we are paying is the price they advertise.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lion. I was disappointed to see that there was some confusion about the rates specified on our website.

Our website advertises that a single room (of which we only have one) is £60.00 per night, unfortunately we were unable to offer this room to you as this room is situated on the second floor.

Our double room rate is £90.00 midweek and £120.00 at weekends, all of our rates are per room per night. As we only have 5 bedrooms in total we do not advertise a single occupancy rate for our double rooms, the rates refer to the room not the number of people staying in it hence per room per night.

I hope that this has gone some way to explain the misunderstanding and if you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me.

In the mean time I do hope that you and your mum enjoy your autumn break away.
Fairfield, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We've stayed at the Red Lion four times and each time we've been delighted with every
aspect. Traveling from the U.S. we make it a point each time to stay in coaching inns and
pubs with rooms. The Red Lion is always at the top of our list. The rooms are clean, cheery
and well appointed. The breakfasts are lovely and dinners superb. The staff is friendly and extremely helpful. We can't wait to return. Bob and Linda Towne

Room Tip: We have a favorite room..but we're not telling lest it becomes even more popular.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
RedLionManagers, General Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you both for taking the time to post a review and for all your kind words. You are always a pleasure to have stay and we’ll look forward to seeing you again next year. I see you have already booked into your favourite room again which I too will keep a secret for you!!
Takapuna, null, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Was lucky enough to get a room for one night as a walk-in on the Sunday before the London2012 Olympics. From arrival the staff were superb; welcoming, cheerful and attentive. The single room on the top floor was small, but then originally there would have been no bathroom or shower. I don't see the room size or the "mind your head"s (I'm 6'2") as a negative but rather part of the charm of the building. The food, dinner and breakfast, was exactly what I would hope for in a pub. Excellent Hook Norton beers. Did not time to make use of the outdoor area but it looked like an ideal spot to spend a sunny afternoon/evening. My reason for visiting was the Rollright Stones but if I had the opportunity to visit the area again I would certainly look at staying here, though I would certainly book ahead to be on the safe side!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review of The Red Lion I’m glad we were able to accommodate you as a ‘walk in’. Great to here that you had a friendly welcome and that we lived up to what you expected from a country pub. I too agree that the low ceilings and doorways are all part of the charm. I hope that you are able to return to The Red Lion in the future.
crosby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

We booked The Red Lion as a last minute Jubilee break. Right from the very start we knew we had stumbled on something great, from the quintessential english coaching inn, to the modern menu, everything just worked. We chose to eat lunch before anyone knew we where staying, to get a feel for the place, we both agree the quality of the food, and the standard of service was exceptional. All of the staff where brilliant, however, Lisa, did all she could to make us feel more than welcome. Our room was clean and comfortable and well presented, with a large en-suite, and more than enough tea and coffee available. We chose to have a light bite in the bar in the evening, which was served at the same standard as the full meal in the restaurant at dinner time. The breakfast was of an equal standard to the rest of the stay. Even cocoa was well behaved!!! Thank you to Lisa and all the other staff we didn't get a chance to thank personally. 10 out of 10. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Any of the 5 would be woth it.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Red Lion. I will definitely make sure I pass on your thanks to the rest of the team. It is always good to here that our hard work pays off. Hope to see you back here soon.
Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed one night, Room 5, during Cheltenham Festival, and food was excellent, beer choice great, comfy and atmospheric pub feel to everywhere. All staff were so friendly, check in, dinner and breakfast. Brilliant quality breakfast. Room was very clean, warm, comfortable, with only downside some occasionally noisy old plumbing. Great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed the ambience and atmosphere at The Red Lion during the Cheltenham festival, and hope you are able to return soon.
Hastings, U.K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

On our way to visit relatives in the Midlands, my wife and I decided to stay a couple of nights in the beautiful Cotswolds. Led by suggestions in our "Google" search we decided on the Red Lion, Long Compton near Shipston-on-Stour.
The inn, originall built in 1748 does undoubtedly have charm, character and ample parking. It is well situated for easily visiting most of the best attractive Cotswold villages around.
Staff gave us a warm welcome before showing us to room 3 - a large family room with a king sized double bed and in addition a single bed in a corner space on the way to the bathroom. Tall people do a lot of bending down to avoid a cracked head! One word of caution is noise. This particular room is above the bar and faces the main road. On the Friday night we had no sleep until the last customer noisily left the bar just after 11.30pm and drove off. To be fair we cannot comment on the situation in other rooms.
After driving around on the first day we were a little disappointed to return and find that the "housekeeping" was somewhat lacking. The litter bin in the bedroom was stll full and, when when my wife went to make tea we found that nothing had been replenished and we had no sugar. In addition the tissue box by the bed was empty.No big deal but when I am being charged £135 a night for a room these details do matter.
The food we had was good and served with a friendly smile. You can eat in the bar but the dining room annex has a lovely atmosphere and is deserving of its AA red rosette award.
Finally it has to be said that apologies were made by the manager and a (very) small reduction made to our bill for a disturbed Friday night...and yes we would still return!

Room Tip: check on proximity to bar!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at The Red Lion, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your balanced review of the Red Lion. As this is a very old coaching Inn there is very little space between the ceiling in the bar and the floor of the rooms above. We do our best to ensure the customers that are using the bar leave by 11.30pm so that they do not disturb the guests that are staying and I’m sorry that this time is too late for you.
We pride ourselves on the standard of our housekeeping and agree that on this day it was very disappointing. We will work hard to ensure that this does not happen again, however there were some extenuating circumstances surrounding the staff member working that day.
I hope that in the future we are able to welcome you back to The Red Lion and make up for our previous shortfalls.
Thank you again for taking the time to review the Red Lion.

Been to The Red Lion? Share your experiences!